Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2009, 08:32 AM   #1
precko
Registered Member

Giesemann Lighting Club.

Share pictures of your Giesemann lighting setups. Discuss all things Giesemann, what you like, what you don't like, ask questions. Wether you are a past, present or future owner or even a fan of Giesemann lighting fixtures share your experiences in here.

For those that post up pics it would also be good to post up lighting specs.

To get the ball rolling here is mine.

Giesemann Infiniti 250w hqi + 4x24w T5's
14.5k Megachrome hqi bulb
2x Aquablue + and 2x Pure Actinic T5 tubes.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Paul.

36"x36"x24" (LxWxH) Rimless Zeovit display tank, Giesemann infiniti 250w hqi + 4x24w T5's, Vortech MP40w, Tunze 6105 and single-controller. 30"x20"x18" Sump tank, ATB medium cone skimmer, KZ zeovit reactor, Balling lite via a GHL-Profilux Independant 4 pump dosing unit, Tunze auto top off, Eheim 1262 return pump.
precko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2009, 10:04 AM   #2
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

here is my Neptune Pro 250w 2 t5ho 24w.

Unread 10/04/2009, 10:05 AM   #3
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Oh they took care of the sticker in the first picture. sent me 4 new ones. Great service.

Unread 10/04/2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Jasonf08
Registered Member

I really like the Spectra models to open it up to some other bulb choices (SE). Now all i need is the budget for the 48" model.....

Jasonf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2009, 03:40 PM   #5
precko
Registered Member

nice mojo~, great looking tank, how are you liking your fixture so far?

Jason the spectra is really nice, looks alot like the infiniti but obviously gives you the single ended bulb choice and can get them custom made, a fellow UK reefer went from 2x400w lumenarcs to a 2x250w spectra pendant and he is happy, getting as much growth and spread as the 400w, aswell as looking a lot better than the retrofit lumenarcs.

heres a pic.

36"x36"x24" (LxWxH) Rimless Zeovit display tank, Giesemann infiniti 250w hqi + 4x24w T5's, Vortech MP40w, Tunze 6105 and single-controller. 30"x20"x18" Sump tank, ATB medium cone skimmer, KZ zeovit reactor, Balling lite via a GHL-Profilux Independant 4 pump dosing unit, Tunze auto top off, Eheim 1262 return pump.
Unread 10/04/2009, 04:24 PM   #6
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Look nice. I replaced my stock bulb(10k ushio) with a 14k phoenix. I like the look of it pretty well burns pretty white. I did try the evc 20k which is suppose to be like the helios and radium bulb but I think the phoenix is closer to the radium. I have thought about replacing the t5's but I thought I might as well wait another couple months.

Unread 10/04/2009, 04:35 PM   #7
precko
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo~ View Post
Look nice. I replaced my stock bulb(10k ushio) with a 14k phoenix. I like the look of it pretty well burns pretty white. I did try the evc 20k which is suppose to be like the helios and radium bulb but I think the phoenix is closer to the radium. I have thought about replacing the t5's but I thought I might as well wait another couple months.
Yeah, in a similar situation. My fixture is 6 months old so all stock at the minute, no complaints but I will be changing the T5's out for ATI equivalent ones for that little extra PAR and looking to go for a 20k halide bulb probably XM. Should be a really nice colour with that set up.

Unread 10/04/2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Mako
Will Dive For Food

The only thing I don't like about my Spectra is the fact you can't overdrive the T5's with an icecap. Heat is trapped and shuts the bulbs down. Too bad, as it really adds a nice kick to the 60" bulbs. May work on a fan mod, but it is tough to get the CFM's required in a small enough fan.

Anybody running SE bulbs pull their glass plates out yet? Thinking of yanking mine for the exta par.

Giesemann Spetra 72"
3x400 SE Radiums on M135 Blue Wave Ballasts
4x80w T5 ATI True Actinic
4 Neptune Moonlights modded into hood

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."
-- W Durant

Current Tank Info: 300 mixed reef
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Jasonf08
Registered Member

Wow, thanks for the good info. I have been debating over the 250w vs the 400w version for my tank build. I want to run radiums in the spectra and then figure out the t-5's from there.

But i have one question still though, does the spectra have fans in the fixture? I have been under the impresstion that they didnt have fans.

Unread 10/04/2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Mako
Will Dive For Food

No fans. The halides are vented all across the top and their heat convects out nicely. T5's have no vents hence the problem with overdriving.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."
-- W Durant

Unread 10/04/2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Jasonf08
Registered Member

Wow, thats insane that they didnt vent the T5's. Im suprised there isnt a problem with heat normally.

Mako, if you had a chance to buy your light fixture over again would you stick with the spectra?

Unread 10/04/2009, 09:57 PM   #12
gcarroll
Registered Member

72" spectra here. Running SLS Galaxy ballasts. It allows me to easily go back and forth between 250 and 400 watt bulbs.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2009, 10:56 PM   #13
bergzy
Registered Member

a long time giesemann user here. i will post pics when i buy a new camera or find the one that i (didnt) lose!!!

Ben.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps, 90g cube clam biotope.
bergzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2009, 04:43 AM   #14
Mako
Will Dive For Food

The Spectra has a lot of strengths which overshadow the lack of T5 vents. So yes, I would buy it again. I haven't given up on trying to OD the T5's with an IC660. It's just been a challenge to work out a fan mod that will work.

-- W Durant

Unread 11/17/2009, 01:13 AM   #15
Kinetic
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

I'm having quite the trouble setting my new infinity up. I never knew how hard it could be to setup a lighting system, especially a Giesemann, but here it goes:

Do you guys know how to get the halides to work? I tried and tried to put in the halide lamps differently, but there can't be any other way. THe lamps aren't cracked, black or anything. The connectors seem to be fine too.

The ballasts that came with it don't buzz when I switch my powerstrip. It's funny, because it seems like each ballast is powering one set of T5's. There's only two chords coming out of the fixture, and they both have huge white plugs that connect to the ballast. The ballast has two female 3 prong plugs in it as well that aren't being used.

So if I shut off one ballast, one side of t5's shutoff, if I shutoff the next halide ballast, the other side goes off. Never do any of the halides fire.

I looked inside the fixture with a flashlight, and I think I see the t5 ballasts in there, they're small. So why do the T5's plug into the Halide ballast?

I'm totally confused! What should be behavior be for the ballasts? Should they buzz even if not plugged into the fixture? Should the T5's be plugging into the T5 ballasts in the first place? Does each ballast control one set of T5's? Am I totally wrong in installing my lamps? Pictures below, please help!

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2009, 02:08 AM   #16
victor90
Registered Member

Precko the tank looks very good

victor90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2009, 11:36 AM   #17
OCRick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precko View Post
Share pictures of your Giesemann lighting setups. Discuss all things Giesemann, what you like, what you don't like, ask questions. Wether you are a past, present or future owner or even a fan of Giesemann lighting fixtures share your experiences in here.

For those that post up pics it would also be good to post up lighting specs.

To get the ball rolling here is mine.

Giesemann Infiniti 250w hqi + 4x24w T5's
14.5k Megachrome hqi bulb
2x Aquablue + and 2x Pure Actinic T5 tubes.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Paul.
Hello Paul...so how do you like the 14.5k Megachrome bulb, I have the 13k Megachrome bulb but I think I want a little more blue so I was thinking of the 14.5k bulb or maybe going with the Phoenix 14k?

Current Tank Info: LeeMar 50 Gal Cube, MRC Custom Sump, Esshops Cone Skimmer, EcoTech Marine MP10, EcoTech Marine Radion Pro
OCRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2009, 06:41 PM   #18
kpctoy
Registered Member

Have they discontinued the Infiniti 24" Fixture 250W HQI? I can't seem to find anyone that still has one.

kpctoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2009, 09:22 PM   #19
kpctoy
Registered Member

Looks like Premium Aquatics may still have some...

Unread 11/17/2009, 10:11 PM   #20
Kinetic
Registered Member

I looked inside the fixture with a flashlight in one end, I could see two blue lines going to the right side of the fixture behind the right pair of T5 reflectors, but then there's blue lines on the left pair of T5's that go out to the chords. It looks almost certain that the cables are going to the wrong side, and the wiring is backwards.

Lines going from halides to the right:

Lines going out of the fixture, notice the right side has no blue lines, left has two

Closer shot of the left side getting two blues. I didn't see anywhere else where the blues were coming from:

Unread 11/17/2009, 10:37 PM   #21
kpctoy
Registered Member

Kinetic, did you buy that new? Why not reach out to the vendor?

Unread 11/17/2009, 10:46 PM   #22
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpctoy View Post
Kinetic, did you buy that new? Why not reach out to the vendor?
Yes it was new. Reach out to the vendor... You mean Giesemann? I've tried, they're in Germany, it's hard to get an email response from them.

I sent a few emails to Xenia Inc with no replies so far. Calling them is hard since I'm working while they're working, and can't make the call until I'm done =(

Unread 11/17/2009, 10:52 PM   #23
kpctoy
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, but you'll get it sorted soon enough and when you do, that's a KICKA** light!

Unread 11/18/2009, 12:20 AM   #24
dingdong03
Registered Member

Spectra in Box

Current Tank Info: ELOS 70

Last edited by dingdong03; 11/18/2009 at 12:53 AM.
dingdong03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 12:21 AM   #25
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpctoy View Post
Sorry to hear that, but you'll get it sorted soon enough and when you do, that's a KICKA** light!
thanks dude, I'll let you guys know how the rest goes. I've sent Xenia Inc. an email, hopefully I can catch them on the phone tomorrow.

it looks pretty neat though, had them do a polar white coat of paint on it... looks nice, doesn't light anything up =P