Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2017, 08:43 AM   #951
reefmutt
Registered Member

Love that darth maul!!
And I like Z even more, now!
Mark, what kind of lighting does your blueberry wine receive?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 04:59 PM   #952
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Love that darth maul!!
And I like Z even more, now!
Mark, what kind of lighting does your blueberry wine receive?
I have the blueberry wine up pretty high. When I got my frag, my friend's colony was pretty high in his tank and it looked great.

I usually place a frag where it makes me happy. The only exception is if I am told it's truly a low light

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 07:28 PM   #953
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks Mark. I'm relocating a frag to full light. My colony is doing well in a slightly out of full light spot but I want to see what it'll do in a bright spot..
I usually do the same.. frags go where I want a specific colour or where I have space but sometimes, if I know for sure the lighting requirements, I'll act accordingly.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/14/2017, 12:57 AM   #954
watchguy123
Registered Member

Returning home tonite after a three plus week absence.

Hopefully my corals will have survived my absence. The fish are being fed daily by someone and the ato is being replenished as needed. No one at home though really understands coral so I don't exactly know what I'll find. Being away from home is always challenging. I had a great trip but I am missing that darn tank and its inhabitants. I guess that's a sign of a crazy reefer, getting homesick for the reef tank.

Unread 08/14/2017, 07:24 AM   #955
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'm the same way! I start itching to get home after a week away. 3 weeks would be impossible for me..
Hope everything is fine.

Unread 08/14/2017, 10:01 AM   #956
Pife
Registered Member

Let us know with photos either way. Hope you had a good vacation.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 05:43 PM   #957
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Let us know with photos either way. Hope you had a good vacation.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Well the display is great, surprisingly no issues on my return from vacation. I finally decided to pull out one of my colonies because it got too big, Wet Thumbs Mother of Pearl, and donated it to one of my LFS. That gave me room to relocate my Purple Monster which was stuck behind a large colony of JF Flame. Now I can get better pictures of the Purple Monster. There are a few abrasions to the purple Monster from me yanking on it to get it out, but nothing that a little bit of time will resolve. Lighting for the picture is Metal halides and t5's.

Purple Monster

Unread 08/25/2017, 06:59 PM   #958
Oldude
Premium Member

You have an amazing sps collection. Absolutely stunning!

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 07:02 PM   #959
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
Well the display is great, surprisingly no issues on my return from vacation. I finally decided to pull out one of my colonies because it got too big, Wet Thumbs Mother of Pearl, and donated it to one of my LFS. That gave me room to relocate my Purple Monster which was stuck behind a large colony of JF Flame. Now I can get better pictures of the Purple Monster. There are a few abrasions to the purple Monster from me yanking on it to get it out, but nothing that a little bit of time will resolve. Lighting for the picture is Metal halides and t5's.

Purple Monster

I am totally in love...
Pm... will you marry me??

Unread 08/26/2017, 04:29 PM   #960
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude View Post
You have an amazing sps collection. Absolutely stunning!
I have adored your photos and acros for many years. We need to touch base and see who is the oldest between us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I am totally in love...
Pm... will you marry me??
Purple Monster is amazing because, well because it is so darn pretty for just a single colored coral. Plus it has amazing history in the hobby. I love it as well.

A while back I was able to get two frags of Reef Raft Canada Wolverine. One took off and the other was a little slower to grow. Surprisingly the fast grower, RTN'd on me. I was able to save a small portion of it, placed it in my frag tank and it survived. I then placed it back in the exact spot and it is doing quite well. It is not real big yet, but it certainly seems happy and thriving.

I don't see RTN too often but if you have enough SPS it seems that you ultimately will see it now and again. I still find it strange that this frag started to RTN and the small portion that didn't is now thriving back in its old spot. The other frag that was the slow grower, is still doing well.

Reef Raft Canada Wolverine

This next frag has some promise but I can't quite tell yet if it will be a beauty or not. A little more time maybe

Unread 08/26/2017, 06:06 PM   #961
codydemmel4
Registered Member

what is your export system? Do you run gfo or anything?

How often are you feeding your fish and what do you aim to keep alk at?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 07:36 PM   #962
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
what is your export system? Do you run gfo or anything?

How often are you feeding your fish and what do you aim to keep alk at?
Hey Cody,

For export: protein skimmer, chaeto in refugium, siporax in sump and refugium, 10% weekly water change. I use to run gfo but not currently

I feed the fish at least once and mostly twice a day, usually flakes and pellets but occasionally frozen food. In the display, my alk is around 7.5 managed by a calcium reactor

Unread 08/27/2017, 10:14 PM   #963
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

If someday you decide to frag the purple monster please let me know. I am looking for a healthy frag for ages .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 11:37 PM   #964
watchguy123
Registered Member

I really like chalices especially old school ones. this one is making a comeback. I believe I have enough nitrates but every once in a while, an lps will just slowly wither away. This one was on its way out and I placed it in my frag tank--it did better there and I just put it back in the display. I hope it does well.

Unread 08/30/2017, 08:27 AM   #965
Oldude
Premium Member

Quote:
I have adored your photos and acros for many years. We need to touch base and see who is the oldest between us.
Thanks for your kind remarks & I was born in 03/59.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 04:02 PM   #966
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude View Post
Thanks for your kind remarks & I was born in 03/59.
You're just a kid, I started first grade that year.

Just got this baby yesterday. It is indeed a small frag but hopefully with a little patience and luck, it will do well. I appreciate most of you are not into named coral, but I have want this one for a while. These pictures are shot under metal halides with t5s.

Reef Raft USA Angry Bird

I have had these next two for a little while and I am optimistic that they will turn out pretty.

Unread 08/30/2017, 05:01 PM   #967
Sam2832
Registered Member

Thanks for the nice pictures.For my part i appreciate when you give the name of yours frags,it give me an idea of what said coral might look light in my tank (mh + t5).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 10:13 AM   #968
Sam2832
Registered Member

look like...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 06:27 PM   #969
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
You're just a kid, I started first grade that year.

Just got this baby yesterday. It is indeed a small frag but hopefully with a little patience and luck, it will do well. I appreciate most of you are not into named coral, but I have want this one for a while. These pictures are shot under metal halides with t5s.

Reef Raft USA Angry Bird

I have had these next two for a little while and I am optimistic that they will turn out pretty.

Love these! I missed my chance on an angry bird earlier this year.. but those two others look really special. Can't wait to see them in a bit..
Well, you and olddude out do me by at least 7 years.. sorry, but thanks for making me feel a bit younger. Doesn't happen that often..

Unread 09/01/2017, 12:32 AM   #970
Rakie
In Memoriam

My Angry Bird doesn't seem to grow. It's just chillin in stasis I guess. Hopefully one day it wakes up and starts taking off.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 07:00 PM   #971
watchguy123
Registered Member

I have taken a gazillion pictures of this coral, but I somehow can not capture how beautiful the blue is in it. this coral was originally imported into Canada and I fortunately was able to get a piece a couple years ago.

Blueberry Wine

Unread 09/12/2017, 06:45 AM   #972
reefmutt
Registered Member

Probably one of the most underrated, under noticed corals out there!
And one of the hardest to photograph.
It is really unique in the metallic blue/purple tones it has.
I absolutely adore this coral.
And when it's happy, it's a very good grower.
Your colonie is getting big!

Unread 09/14/2017, 11:14 AM   #973
watchguy123
Registered Member

This coral is getting prettier. Photo is with metal halides and t5's.

Z's Prize

Just another branch of Z's Prize:

Unread 09/14/2017, 11:33 AM   #974
markalot

Love that Blueberry Wine. That light blue color is fantastic. Glad to see everything is going good.

Unread 09/14/2017, 12:16 PM   #975
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Love that Blueberry Wine. That light blue color is fantastic. Glad to see everything is going good.
Thank you, the tank is in a happy stage at the moment.

More metal halide photos from this morning (that means no led supplements were on):

Reef Raft Canada Ultimate Orange Passion

I know the next photo looks photoshopped but its not. Corrected to 20k temp and exposure corrected. Metal halides and t5's, no leds. When you get into the body color it transitions from pink tips to orangish. But the bright yellow polyps are everywhere.

Z's Yellow eyed jawdropper

I have taken lots of pictures of the following coral but have had a hard time capturing how pretty it really is. Its called Z1. This photo is also with metal halides and t5's but no leds. You can see the rock work and coralline algae at the bottom of the picture for color reference.

Z1

A great reefing buddy shared this frag with me a while back. It is showing some great color potential. My friend always has the best colored coral of anyone I know. I am using a new macro lens and so its fun taking pictures. The field of depth is certainly shallow. The purple haze at the base of this frag is my rock work.

The next one has really tight branching. It has awesome color. Its called Z's Favorite. You can see some of my rock work in the right hand corner.

Z's Favorite

I have two colonies of the Pink Floyd. One in high light and one much lower down in the tank.

Reef Raft USA Pink Floyd

Last edited by watchguy123; 09/14/2017 at 01:00 PM.