Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2012, 08:30 PM   #1
nellecat
Registered Member

Question Best places to buy LPS online?

Hey I am looking for a ultra, cheap place to buy healthy corals online. They need to be able to ship to Nebraska.
Thanks

Unread 03/22/2012, 08:37 PM   #2
scolley
ARKSC Founding Member

Thread title says "best". Your OP says "ultra cheap". Not remotely the same thing.

No idea on cheap. Divers Den should be in the running for best though. Particularly if you are spending the money to get colonies, not frags. The quality, health, color, and coral size per dollar is high (value). But they are not "cheap". Maybe someone else can help with that.

Last edited by scolley; 03/22/2012 at 08:44 PM.
scolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2012, 08:51 PM   #3
nellecat
Registered Member

Well yes I understand. I just don't want to pay ridiculous amounts of money. Okay, Thanks

Unread 03/22/2012, 08:53 PM   #4
scolley
ARKSC Founding Member

Apologies if this is advice where it is unwanted. But I saw the newb in your signature, so I'll take a risk and try to help...

I do not have deep pockets. So I'm down with trying to fine good prices for corals. But this is actually a cottage industry, and there is some consistency in pricing across vendors. What that means to us the consumer, is that if we are not paying for it, there's a very, very high probability that we are not getting it.

Now what about "it" - our expectations vs. what's delivered - might we lose? The list is long: health, color, size, the product actually looking like the picture, the vendor's willingness to send replacements for DOAs or after shipping problems, or any combination of those things.

So saving money on coral is cool. Just don't be surprised if disappointment happens.

Good luck though.

Unread 03/22/2012, 09:06 PM   #5
scolley
ARKSC Founding Member

Sorry... But one more thing. Everyone ships to Nebraska. However shipping can be a major portion of the cost of your purchase. So you might check to see if there are any reef clubs near you. Look in the Reef Clubs forum here on RC.

If there is, they may do periodic "group buys" where everyone pools their purchase in one order for delivery to a single club member. You might have to drive to someone's home to get you coral, but you may have paid little to nothing for shipping. And online corals get a lot cheaper when you take out shipping charges.

Unread 03/22/2012, 09:11 PM   #6
nellecat
Registered Member

Ahh nice! Great advice thank you!

Unread 03/22/2012, 10:44 PM   #7
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

scroll through the vendors.

check out world wide corals. vivid aquariums. sexy corals.

pricy but the best stuff.

Unread 03/22/2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Psirex
Registered Member

nothing worth having is cheap in this hobby addiction...

Unread 03/23/2012, 07:18 AM   #9
greech
Registered Member

Just bought my first corals off ebay. Won one chalice from a seller local in Florida and shipping was only $20. Seller also through in a free B chalice (and a nice on at that!).

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 04:23 PM   #10
reef kid96
Registered Member

tidal gardens is good, every week they put about 40 corals up on ebay starting at only 10 bucks

reef kid96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2012, 04:43 PM   #11
wireefman
reefin chef

there is a sponsor forum.... Start there, they ll have web sites.... look around....

wireefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 04:07 PM   #12
TimothyJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellecat View Post
Hey I am looking for a ultra, cheap place to buy healthy corals online. They need to be able to ship to Nebraska.
Thanks
Hey, Nellecat! I am from Omaha as well. Have you checked out the limited number of local stores we have? I know they often have normal stuff at them, but there is a chance every now and then that they have a diamond in the rough. I frequent Nebraska Aquatic Supply (108th and Grover area). I also visit Aqua Pets (108th and Maple) randomly. If those don't work, I have only gone to LiveAquaria.com. They can be over priced on some stuff though.

Unread 03/31/2012, 04:29 PM   #13
nellecat
Registered Member

Nice to see you are from Omaha! Yes I have bought some from Nebraska Aquatic Supply. Thats the only place so far. Thanks for the help everyone.

Unread 03/31/2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Anthrax15
Registered Member

World Wide Coral, Sexy Coral, Cherry Coral, Pro Corals. Definetly not the cheapest but very nice pieces. Also Fleebay and forums like RC and R 2 R. Also look for Group Grow Outs. People will get a group together of super high end Chalices, cheap in anywhere from $200-$500 per person, and in a year or less get really nice pieces for a fraction of the costs.

5D Mk1|17-40 F4|50 F1.8|85 F2.8|100 F2.8|70-200 F4

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube
Anthrax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 08:39 PM   #15
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley View Post
Apologies if this is advice where it is unwanted. But I saw the newb in your signature, so I'll take a risk and try to help...

I do not have deep pockets. So I'm down with trying to fine good prices for corals. But this is actually a cottage industry, and there is some consistency in pricing across vendors. What that means to us the consumer, is that if we are not paying for it, there's a very, very high probability that we are not getting it.

Now what about "it" - our expectations vs. what's delivered - might we lose? The list is long: health, color, size, the product actually looking like the picture, the vendor's willingness to send replacements for DOAs or after shipping problems, or any combination of those things.

So saving money on coral is cool. Just don't be surprised if disappointment happens.

Good luck though.
I agree totally.

Unread 04/01/2012, 12:06 AM   #16
lucky_snapper
Registered Member

Ever thought about craigslist ? Every single day there is a new listing here where someone is tearing down a tank and selling off their livestock. There are many deals to be had in just your local paper if you look. As far as online goes Divers Den is by far the best bang for the buck when you factor in that they give you a 15 day money back guarantee. Your water could be total sewage and they will still refund your money not questions asked. Their quality is top notch and the selection is updated daily. They are expensive yes, but when you factor in the shipping and guarantee it makes it well worth it.

lucky_snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 11:20 AM   #17
catfish
Registered Member

Ebay

catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 05:02 AM   #18
Big E
Registered Member

I know your'e probably aching to buy corals right now, but spend a few months scanning a group of vendors & get a feel for how their pricing & inventory levels work. Know what you want to buy & avoid spur of the moment purchases.

The more research you do now, will avoid disappointment later. Do searches on the corals you want & vendors that carry them.

Be patient................there's always another coral & sale just around the corner.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 10:33 AM   #19
buddythelion
Registered Member

There's a lot of great advice in this thread.

buddythelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Bnortz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef kid96 View Post
tidal gardens is good, every week they put about 40 corals up on ebay starting at only 10 bucks
+1 I just purchased a few frags from Tidal Gardens and I'm fortunate to live under an hour away from there so I got to see the greenhouse. Great service, the owner Than is very friendly and knowledgable, and the corals are very healthy.

Bnortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2012, 06:07 PM   #21
2rcdudes
Registered Member

World Wide Corals

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandfsoccr04 View Post
scroll through the vendors.

check out world wide corals. vivid aquariums. sexy corals.

pricy but the best stuff.
Just left there about 4 hours ago. I was also able to keep myself under 100 dollars. 2 corals 1 test kit and some coral glue.

2rcdudes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy corals, online