Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2011, 10:25 PM   #2551
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Wow, that's pretty amazing! What is this mulm? Is it just algae, or a combination of algae and bacteria?

Everything that shows up on your rock I am anticipating on mine, so I am following your progress closely!

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 10:28 PM   #2552
afernandez
Never Quit!!

very nice!

thank you very much! i really love your documentation , i might just go zoe.... it going to be your fault!

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 12:41 AM   #2553
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Wow, that's pretty amazing! What is this mulm? Is it just algae, or a combination of algae and bacteria?

Everything that shows up on your rock I am anticipating on mine, so I am following your progress closely!
It is quite effective from what I've seen so far. It's really cleaned the rock up dramatically over just a couple weeks. I don't know for sure what the mulm is but I'm guessing all of the above, a combination of excess bacteria, detritus, and some cyano and algae. The ZEOzym is an enzyme which really helps to break down the muck. I'll continue to update the progress.

I would suggest at least getting some Bio-Mate for your rock. It stinks like raw sewage. But from what I understand, it's a specific strain of bacteria that doesn't need a carbon source to proliferate. This is essential, imo, for bacterial survival when dosed into the water column. That's why it must go straight for the rocks and substrate when dosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afernandez View Post
very nice!

thank you very much! i really love your documentation , i might just go zoe.... it going to be your fault!
Don't blame me! No really, I think they are good products. A little expensive depending on the size of your system but from my initial doses, they seem to work.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 08:59 AM   #2554
110galreef
Registered Member

I wonder why u have that mulm on your rocks....
Too light of a cleanup crew? Again i started my tank almost identical to yours (Dry rock, MB7, shallow sand bed, biopellets) and never had any rock or alga issues, other than the minor HA outbreak on a few flat pieces of rock, which the lawnmower cleaned up very quickly. Rock is very clean & so has sand bed....

But I do have a large collection of snails & crabs...too many that i have had some of each die, but I did aquire like a 100 snails & crabs as part of a "package deal" of corals!

Unread 03/16/2011, 10:15 AM   #2555
cromedogg33
Registered Member

I have to wonder why you guys needed cleanup crew at all. I have stopped dosing MB7 for the time being as the pellets are in full affect.

My tank has taken a huge turn for the better in the last couple days. I'm almost completely 100% gone of the filmatious algae and have seen nothing else.

Maybe my tangs/LM took care of the algae and I never needed a cleanup crew.../shrug

110 I noticed you took your pellets offline. Any particular reason why?

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 10:32 AM   #2556
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
I wonder why u have that mulm on your rocks....
Too light of a cleanup crew? Again i started my tank almost identical to yours (Dry rock, MB7, shallow sand bed, biopellets) and never had any rock or alga issues, other than the minor HA outbreak on a few flat pieces of rock, which the lawnmower cleaned up very quickly. Rock is very clean & so has sand bed....

But I do have a large collection of snails & crabs...too many that i have had some of each die, but I did aquire like a 100 snails & crabs as part of a "package deal" of corals!
I'm not really sure the answer to that. I know some people go unscathed and others like myself have to deal with it. I know for sure 99% of the issues were cyano related, not the run of the mill HA or diatoms. I would guess your CUC really took care of business in your tank. Remember, I only had 9 Mexican Turbos in the beginning. My tank is looking a ton better btw, since i think the cyano is getting snuffed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
I have to wonder why you guys needed cleanup crew at all. I have stopped dosing MB7 for the time being as the pellets are in full affect.

My tank has taken a huge turn for the better in the last couple days. I'm almost completely 100% gone of the filmatious algae and have seen nothing else.

Maybe my tangs/LM took care of the algae and I never needed a cleanup crew.../shrug

That's great new cromedogg. It's possible your tangs and LM took care of it, my LM is really going after what's left of mine. I don't know why I didn't get one a long time ago.

Unread 03/16/2011, 10:41 AM   #2557
afernandez
Never Quit!!

Crome- how long have u had your pellets in effect?

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 11:15 AM   #2558
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post

well, to be honest, i jumped the gun maybe a bit early w/ the corals. I added a frag tank (40g) to my system (5 weeks back) and about 70 frags & 12-15 colnies of sps about 8 weeks back. These were aquired from a local reefer that was teaing down a tank. Many of the current frags were made from colonies that were STN due to my less than ideal holding tank & placement in my DT while I setup the frag tank.

A few of my colonies were fading or still had minor tissue loss. So i pulled the biopellets to be sure they were not effecting the corals colors or tissue. I don't think it was the pellets, rather the given tank teardown, transfer & holding of the corals that did it......But I figured better safe than sorry.

Also the lack of understanding on what to feed corals in a ULNS is still a mystery and drummereef i fell is reallly closing in onto this. But again I didn't want to sacrafice 15 colonies & 70 frags.

I hope to be able to bring the biopellets back online soon. But want to get atleast my tissue loss under control, before adding more to the mix, so I am contolling one variable at a time.

At the present time tissue loss seems to have stopped, colors seem to be a little better, however many of the one's that were pretty browned are coloring up nicely. Nitrates & PO4 are still inline were they were w/ biopellets. 0 & .02-.04 respectively. Hopefully I will see more progress in 2 weeks and then slowly bring the biopellets back online & then maybe incorporate some of the majic brew!

Unread 03/16/2011, 11:45 AM   #2559
Taqpol
Registered Member

Have you ever tried skimming wet right after you blow off your rocks with a turkey baster or powerhead? I used to blow off the rocks in my old tank all the time, and I've taken to doing that on this tank too.

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 12:37 PM   #2560
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
Have you ever tried skimming wet right after you blow off your rocks with a turkey baster or powerhead? I used to blow off the rocks in my old tank all the time, and I've taken to doing that on this tank too.
Yes, many times in fact. When I do this I put 200 micron socks under the drains to catch the detritus. It's amazing how much junk has come off the rocks since first putting them in the tank. I don't know where it all came from but there was quite a bit of junk.

Unread 03/16/2011, 01:02 PM   #2561
sledge760
Registered Member

very very nice!

sledge760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 07:54 PM   #2562
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Yes, many times in fact. When I do this I put 200 micron socks under the drains to catch the detritus. It's amazing how much junk has come off the rocks since first putting them in the tank. I don't know where it all came from but there was quite a bit of junk.
I think this rock must just catch and hold a ton of detritus by the very nature of its structure. The stuff is like swiss cheese, after all! I feel better - because of this - that I bought a skimmer rated for twice the water volume.

My rock is not yet in the tank. When I soaked it in a water/vinegar solution and then sloshed it around, mostly just rock dust (or dissolved rock) and a tiny bit of rubble came out. That's how clean it appeared to be.

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 08:17 PM   #2563
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge760 View Post
very very nice!
Thanks sledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
I think this rock must just catch and hold a ton of detritus by the very nature of its structure. The stuff is like swiss cheese, after all! I feel better - because of this - that I bought a skimmer rated for twice the water volume.

My rock is not yet in the tank. When I soaked it in a water/vinegar solution and then sloshed it around, mostly just rock dust (or dissolved rock) and a tiny bit of rubble came out. That's how clean it appeared to be.
Definitely, the rock is quite porous but beyond that there are tons of holes and tunnels where detritus can collect... like swiss cheese! It's great rock but a very different animal than a rock like Fiji.

Unread 03/16/2011, 10:55 PM   #2564
SethTheWineGuy
Registered Member

It's great to see the whole thing culminate from brain child to beauty. Well done!

SethTheWineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 12:36 AM   #2565
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethTheWineGuy View Post
It's great to see the whole thing culminate from brain child to beauty. Well done!

Thanks Seth, much appreciated.

Unread 03/17/2011, 08:12 PM   #2566
drummereef
Team RC Member

Hey guys, heading to the LFS tomorrow. I'm planning on picking up some foods specifically for my SPS and LPS. Any suggestions would be great!

Here's my short list...

DT's Oyster Eggs
Frozen Cyclop-eeze
Freeze Dried Cyplop-eeze

Unread 03/17/2011, 08:32 PM   #2567
gary faulkner
Registered Member

I tried the Freeze Dried Cyplop-eeze and it always wanted to clump together and wouldn't seperate enough in the water column but the fish could usually eat it. Could be that I just had a bad batch. Might want to check with others about their experiences.

HTH

Current Tank Info: 300G SPS
gary faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 08:38 PM   #2568
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary faulkner View Post
I tried the Freeze Dried Cyplop-eeze and it always wanted to clump together and wouldn't seperate enough in the water column but the fish could usually eat it. Could be that I just had a bad batch. Might want to check with others about their experiences.

HTH
OK maybe I'll skip the freeze dried cyclops and go with Coral Frenzy or Reef Chili?

Unread 03/17/2011, 08:41 PM   #2569
gary faulkner
Registered Member

So you're going to have your corals do a blind taste test and then publish the results?

Unread 03/17/2011, 08:55 PM   #2570
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary faulkner View Post
So you're going to have your corals do a blind taste test and then publish the results?
Yes.

Unread 03/17/2011, 08:57 PM   #2571
drummereef
Team RC Member

Updated list...

Frozen Cyclop-eeze
DT's Oyster Eggs
Roti-Feast
Oyster-Feast (in place of DT's?)

Maybe Coral Frenzy but I will try and stay with refrigerated/frozen foods.

Unread 03/17/2011, 11:22 PM   #2572
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Video update for you.

Unread 03/18/2011, 04:45 AM   #2573
gary faulkner
Registered Member

I luv the way she dances around like that! 8-)

Unread 03/18/2011, 04:48 AM   #2574
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Updated list...

Frozen Cyclop-eeze
DT's Oyster Eggs
Roti-Feast
Oyster-Feast (in place of DT's?)

Maybe Coral Frenzy but I will try and stay with refrigerated/frozen foods.

Specially for feeding my sps's I am now using Reef Nutrition's Roti-Feast and Oyster-Feast and I do sneak in some Coral Fenzy/Reef Chili a couple of times a week. Actually my LFS has a nice secret receipt brew in place of Reef Chili that they use exclusively for their tanks and maintenance accounts.

And I am switching over, as soon as my frozen food is gone, to Rogger's Food. I am going to a KISS with Rogger's for fish and the above mentioned for corals. All the TOTM tanks seem to do little in those areas and their tanks are allows banging imho.

HTH

Unread 03/18/2011, 08:56 AM   #2575
Taqpol
Registered Member

I need more red corals in my tank...

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote