Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2014, 03:39 PM   #26
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

Fusion 40
IM matching stand
Ecotech MP10ES in ReefCrest mode
Cobalt Heater
kessil A350W at 50%
Kessil Gooseneck mount
IM Ghost Skimmer
Aqua Caddy w/Purigen and Chemi Pure
30lbs of sand
20lbs base rock

Been cycling for 3 weeks.
Water is cloudy and can't dial in skimmer.
1.022 salinity, Temp 80 degrees, ammonia 0

CODE3EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Reduck
Because I can....

I would think the baskets should be empty now and the skimmer air off.(not feeding right?) Just mechanical filtration on top. I'd keep the mp running slow too..maybe that's the clouding issue. The chem pure and purgen could also be slowing the cycle. And the kessil even at 50% may cause an early algae bloom..
Salinity is a bit low but you can raise it on your next water change. Has ammonia spiked yet? Ph stable?
Fwiw, my opinion..
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODE3EMT View Post
Fusion 40
IM matching stand
Ecotech MP10ES in ReefCrest mode
Cobalt Heater
kessil A350W at 50%
Kessil Gooseneck mount
IM Ghost Skimmer
Aqua Caddy w/Purigen and Chemi Pure
30lbs of sand
20lbs base rock

Been cycling for 3 weeks.
Water is cloudy and can't dial in skimmer.
1.022 salinity, Temp 80 degrees, ammonia 0

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 11:36 PM   #28
Mr2KiEu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrf View Post
What is everyone using for a refug light?
I'm using a cheap $13.99 28 LED Work light from Harbor Freight. Works great! Has been growing my macro like crazy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/120-vol...ght-66274.html

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 525XL
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2014, 08:42 PM   #29
kevinrf
Registered Member

How do you guys have your chambers laid out? Where are you putting your heater?

kevinrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2014, 09:53 PM   #30
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

Looking at your tank from the front........
Chamber 1/2/3/4/5
I put my heater in number #4
Ghost skimmer in #2
Aqua Caddy in #1 and #5
Return pump in #3 obviously.

Unread 08/28/2014, 10:09 PM   #31
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODE3EMT View Post
Looking at your tank from the front........
Chamber 1/2/3/4/5
I put my heater in number #4
Ghost skimmer in #2
Aqua Caddy in #1 and #5
Return pump in #3 obviously.
following Code3emt lay out

1& 5 caddy
2 reactor
3 return and heater submerged
4 skimmer

bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2014, 12:15 AM   #32
Mr2KiEu
Registered Member

1 Tunze skimmer
2 empty for now
3 stock return pump & 150w Jager
4 Fuge with macro algae
5 Basket with purigen and chemipure elite

may move things around later tho.

Unread 08/29/2014, 04:52 AM   #33
Reduck
Because I can....

Same..1 will be fuge when intank basket ships..3 also has probes and ato. It's crammed..i had to take the probe holder out to get the ato sensor in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
following Code3emt lay out

1& 5 caddy
2 reactor
3 return and heater submerged
4 skimmer

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Unread 08/29/2014, 07:03 AM   #34
kevinrf
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I'm trying to figure out my layout... but this helps a lot. Def. going to be crammed!

Unread 08/29/2014, 03:37 PM   #35
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Thanks guys! I'm trying to figure out my layout... but this helps a lot. Def. going to be crammed!
Funny, been there done that. We use a kitchen stool for deep water reaching. It's gonna look great.

Unread 08/29/2014, 03:52 PM   #36
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
Funny, been there done that. We use a kitchen stool for deep water reaching. It's gonna look great.
I had to laugh when seeing the pic and reading!!

Being 6'9" has its advantages!!! No chair for me

bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2014, 11:09 PM   #37
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

LMAO! I think I have the same step ladder! Don't fall in....... you'll raise your ammonia for sure

Unread 08/30/2014, 11:08 AM   #38
Reduck
Because I can....

Anyone consider building a canopy for their 40? I miss that closed look..
I work with some fabricators...I'll have to see what they say...should be a box with some rails to sit on the tank edges along with some vents for circ, and a hinge in front for feeding and room out back for cables etc.
Pretty sure inTank is going to make a sump cover but I think I wanna go full...

Unread 09/02/2014, 05:57 PM   #39
kevinrf
Registered Member

Anyone running a kessil a360we on the fusion 40? How far from the water is it ?

Unread 09/03/2014, 11:02 AM   #40
vlapinta
Registered Member

I am a new owner of a fusion 40. I could use some help. I am battling an algae problem and could use help. Every day on the top flat part of my rock there is a covering of reddish brown algae. I tried blowing it off with a turkey baster but it comes back. I have my maspect razor light set for under 50% intensity and just lowered it a little more. I added 2 Jebao WP10s for more flow. I am running chemipure elite, purigen and filter floss. I have one IM media basket set up on one side with the filter floss on top, then purigen, then the chemipure elite. I don't have any other filter media on the other side. I am doing 3 gallon water changes weekly. I have 25 lbs of live rock and I have live sand. The tank was set up in April so it is fairly new. The only thing I am not running is a skimmer because I was undecided which one to buy. I have 2 clownfish and 1 sand sifting goby and assorted snails. I have cut down on feeding my fish. I use only RO/DI water. Would the skimmer help to get this under control? Any other suggestions?

vlapinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 12:49 PM   #41
kevinrf
Registered Member

Slowly coming together.

Unread 09/03/2014, 04:06 PM   #42
rower4fish
Registered Member

Quote:
thats one of the things I dislike about the tank. From what I have read, the water line is just below the rear chamber baffle walls. This does expose the tops of the return nozzles..and yes, micro bubble hell. I turn them to reseal them at least once a week or I see bursts of MBs...I considered raising the baffles in the sump to bring the level up an inch..haven't had time to actually do it yet..
Hi, again , from the other thread. I called IM about my micro bubbles. I asked about the water level. He said you can run the water in the sump at the same height as the baffles. He said if I want to raise the water level in the main display, I could put some sponges or something at the returns (? where the water drains into the sump) to increase the water level. Now that you are mentioning the bubbles from the return nozzles, mine are exposed, too.

rower4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 04:20 PM   #43
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Slowly coming together.

Looks good. I still haven't mounted my apex in the cabinet.. it's all sitting on the shelf still...someday I'll get to it!

Unread 09/03/2014, 04:24 PM   #44
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower4fish View Post
Hi, again , from the other thread. I called IM about my micro bubbles. I asked about the water level. He said you can run the water in the sump at the same height as the baffles. He said if I want to raise the water level in the main display, I could put some sponges or something at the returns (? where the water drains into the sump) to increase the water level. Now that you are mentioning the bubbles from the return nozzles, mine are exposed, too.
I guess that could work. Don't know how well the skimmer would function at that level. You'd probably have to raise that up as well to keep water from backfilling the cup. Probably worth a shot..

Unread 09/03/2014, 04:31 PM   #45
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlapinta View Post
I am a new owner of a fusion 40. I could use some help. I am battling an algae problem and could use help. Every day on the top flat part of my rock there is a covering of reddish brown algae. I tried blowing it off with a turkey baster but it comes back. I have my maspect razor light set for under 50% intensity and just lowered it a little more. I added 2 Jebao WP10s for more flow. I am running chemipure elite, purigen and filter floss. I have one IM media basket set up on one side with the filter floss on top, then purigen, then the chemipure elite. I don't have any other filter media on the other side. I am doing 3 gallon water changes weekly. I have 25 lbs of live rock and I have live sand. The tank was set up in April so it is fairly new. The only thing I am not running is a skimmer because I was undecided which one to buy. I have 2 clownfish and 1 sand sifting goby and assorted snails. I have cut down on feeding my fish. I use only RO/DI water. Would the skimmer help to get this under control? Any other suggestions?
How long is your light cycle? What's your water tests show?
You could try no lights for 3 days. That's always worked for me...but if your phosphates are high...it'll just come back. How often do you feed?
Skimmer will help some...not all.
How often do you change cpe?
Sorry for all the questions..you could try to post same in water chemistry forum..

Unread 09/03/2014, 05:34 PM   #46
kevinrf
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks good. I still haven't mounted my apex in the cabinet.. it's all sitting on the shelf still...someday I'll get to it!

Use these for everything lol

Unread 09/03/2014, 06:47 PM   #47
vlapinta
Registered Member

Quote:
How long is your light cycle? What's your water tests show?
You could try no lights for 3 days. That's always worked for me...but if your phosphates are high...it'll just come back. How often do you feed?
Skimmer will help some...not all.
How often do you change cpe?
Sorry for all the questions..you could try to post same in water chemistry forum..
Phosphates are less than 0.25. Ammonia is 0. Nitrates are 10. My lights ramp up and down to full intensity (which I am keeping at less than 50%). The lights are on for 8 hours but most of the time they are ramping up or down. They are only on what I have set as full intensity for @3.5 hours. I have shut the lights out for 3 days but after the lights go back on the algae comes back. I only feed every 2-3 days

vlapinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 07:13 PM   #48
Reduck
Because I can....

PO4 0.25 or .025? If it is 0.25, that might be your culprit. I thought I was up there when I had .10! You might try larger water changes like 7-10g, along with some fresh cpe or cpb, or even a gfo reactor to bring it down..I wouldn't do it all at once either. Especially if you have corals. Some don't like rapid changes..
I would still suggest you post this in the chem forum as there are much more experienced folks over there waiting to help!
Good luck!

Unread 09/03/2014, 09:35 PM   #49
Mr2KiEu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower4fish View Post
Thanks for sharing the info. This will help a lot of Fusion owners. I wasn't sure how high I should leave the water level either.

Unread 09/04/2014, 07:12 AM   #50
fman74
Registered Member

I had the micro bubble for about 6 weeks. Sometimes a lot, sometimes very little.

I Upgraded to this tank from a biocube 14.

Apex controler
Ghost skimmer
IM reactor- bio pellets
1 custom caddy with perigen, Chemi-pure and fugu with cheto
ATO Tunze
MP 10

I have a Kessil 150. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the 360.

fman74 is offline   Reply With Quote