Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Stevorino
Registered Member

What to do with Clowns?

Hey friends -

I have a Display Tank (120g), a Sump (100g), and a Nano Tank (22g) - all of them share the same water.

While the Display Tank always seems to be doing pretty well, the Nano Tank always seems to struggle despite them sharing the same water. Because of this, I'm considering making the Nano a straight-up Frag Tank.

Problem: I have a pair of clowns in my Display Tank (mated, constantly laying eggs) and a pair of clowns (seem to be mated) in the Nano. Am I correct in assuming that if I put the Nano-Clowns into the Display with my current clowns there will be problems?

I'm also considering sticking them in the Sump, but I hate to do that because then they'll rarely get attention. I'm also considering just keeping them in the Frag Tank, but worried that'd be stressful if all they have is maybe a rock or two and a bunch of frags. Would love to hear thoughts!

Stevorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2019, 11:59 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Putting them all together will most likely end in a massacre.
I would just keep them in the nano where they are and give them a ceramic flowerpot as home/anemone surrogate. More is not really needed to keep clownfish satisfied.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I have 2 small OC clowns (about 1.25") & don't want any anemones in my DT, what is the min size you would recommend in a ceramic pot as i don't know if they will reach 3" max due to my small tank size & can it just be red clay or does it need to be fired with a glaze?

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I have used standard, red clay, no glaze in the 5-7” range.
I also have used broken ones as well
No guarantees they use it.
Works better in a breeding tank
Eggs are deposited on the clay surface

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 02:46 AM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Red clay is the way to go.
For ocellaris and percula I usually go with pots that have an opening diameter between 4 to 5 inch. In my experience ocellaris and percula will ultimately accept a flowerpot as anemone surrogate. With other anemonefish species, success is not always guaranteed.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote