Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2015, 02:24 PM   #1826
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Do you have any section of the tank (sump, refugium, room) that's lit?
No. Just the display section. and only 5 hrs a day now

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2015, 02:26 PM   #1827
Billybatz9
Registered Member

You can see it on my sand bed, slowing growing on my rock as well around my yuma
http://i.imgur.com/OrxzmRg.jpg

Unread 09/15/2015, 03:06 PM   #1828
tnias
Registered Member

I just beat dino's and I tried all the options. In the end a combined approach seemed to work best. It will be more challenging with your corals but a supper short light cycle might work.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2517819

Good luck

tnias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2015, 03:11 PM   #1829
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

After going the Pods and Phyto route I never had to do anything else.

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2015, 05:05 PM   #1830
garygonzales
Registered Member

yo billy i would stop doing water changes..that seems to fuel it....

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2015, 06:27 PM   #1831
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygonzales View Post
Last one I did was two weeks ago. Will be stopping it u til it's gone. But I do have corals. Should I dose calcium

Unread 09/15/2015, 06:41 PM   #1832
bertoni
RC Mod

You should dose calcium and alkalinity if you have stony corals. Soft corals can tolerate a broader range of conditions.

Unread 09/15/2015, 07:55 PM   #1833
karimwassef
Registered Member

Calcium and alkalinity also promote competing organisms like coralline algae, coral, and even invertebrates even fish (exoskeleton and skeleton)

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 12:21 PM   #1834
Dfee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnalnrsh View Post
After going the Pods and Phyto route I never had to do anything else.

Me too. Hope I didn't just jinx myself

Dfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 12:23 PM   #1835
Dfee
Registered Member

Quote:

Definitely. I think most people here world agree, no more water changes. My Dino's have been gone for about two weeks now, and I'm still not doing water changes.

Unread 09/16/2015, 04:22 PM   #1836
garygonzales
Registered Member

yep no water changes for a while also test your alk and calcium before you dose tho..maybe wont have to for awhile.....

Unread 09/17/2015, 11:01 AM   #1837
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Dosing h202 for 5 days did not work for me. Blood shrimp was affected. He is still alive, but his tentacles look like they were inserted into an electrical outlet.

Next experiment:
Massive dosage of pods and phyto.

Have not done a water change in 2 1/2 weeks.

Dinos have been stable (not increasing or decreasing).

If pods and phyto do not work. Will remove entire sandbed and work from there.

If that doesn't work, I will go to freshwater tanks lmao

Unread 09/17/2015, 11:54 AM   #1838
Dfee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Dosing h202 for 5 days did not work for me. Blood shrimp was affected. He is still alive, but his tentacles look like they were inserted into an electrical outlet.

Next experiment:

Feed like a madman too. Get those phosphates and nitrates up

Unread 09/17/2015, 03:10 PM   #1839
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post

Next experiment:

One molt and the shrimp will be fine.
Removing the sand bed was "turning the corner" for me.
Pods and phyto was the "nail in the coffin".

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 09:38 AM   #1840
bheron
Registered Member

This thread has been a lifesaver for me, almost literally. I've been battling Dinos for years and havent known much about them or what I could be doing until I found this thread a few months ago. Last time (2014) I was about to give in after 10 years of this hobby and losing different battles, many times b/c of Dinos. Instead I completely broke down my 220g setup to start fresh one last time. I bleached, acid washed the tank and live rock, and put in a brand new deep sand bed.

Here's my experience so far:

- October 1 2014: launched new sterile tank with sterilized live rock, tank equipment and 330lbs of a brand new deep sand bed. Immediately began to cycle tank with some dead shrimp

- Mid October added my first fish: 7 small chromis and blue damsels

- November 1: added 200+ worth of life from Indo Pacific Sea Farms: copepods, amphipods, bristle worms, spaghetti (Terrebellidae) worms, comet stars, reef plankton, various snails, and live sand activator

Things went very well, lost a few chromis which is always expected. In March or so I added my first piece of life from a LFS, one I trusted and still do. I placed a piece of their Live Rock in my tank to help with biodiversity.

Then, in April, 6+ months in..DINOS ARE BACK!!!

At that same time I found this thread which has saved me in this hobby. I've learned so much. I havent been able to identify my type yet b/c my microscope isnt strong enough. Here's what I learned first:

1) I suffer from CTO (Clean Tank Obsession") I've had so many troubles in the past with algea and dinos and cyano. Always assumed all of them were 100% a result of excess nutrients. So back in 2014 when I had my last outbreak, the Dinos covered EVERYTHING! I have a crazy picture somewhere. I battled it with: excessive water changes and tons of GFO. Now looking back Im not surprised it got so bad. As a result Ive always been obsessed with keeping nutrients so low, removing any extra waste, skimming, skimming, skimming, and using GFO.

2) Now looking back I've gained some clarity. I started thinking right before the Dinos appeared and things were going so well, I noticed an excess of algae on my sand, some cyano. So the panic button hit and I immediately started doing a bunch of WCs and running GFO. I think right after that my Dinos appeared.

I now know better. Through this thread I've learned the importance of balance in nature and our tanks!

So in April, even though I couldn't identify my type of Dinos, I took immediate action:

1) shut off skimmer (it hasnt been on since)

2) stopped all water changes (havent done one since)

In a matter of days I noticed a difference! Progression halted immediately. And what I had started to die back. I'd say in a few weeks it was almost gone.

I was happy. Didnt do anything else. But then, a month or so later, they started coming back. So I began reading more and more on this thread. Now, six-eight weeks later, today they are virtually gone, I'd say 97% gone. Here's what I did:

1) no skimming
2) no water changes
3) no GFO
4) ran filter socks at night to catch dinos in column

Then I decided to follow the "dirty tank" method I learned here and did:

5) Excessive overfeeding - like 5 to 10 times more of the dry pellets I normally feed. Did this for weeks and still doing it. Have recently added frozen mysis shrimp

6) Added more life: i already had a fuge with chaeto and pods, etc. But now I feed the fuge and the pods are going nuts. I trimmed back the chaeto to allow new growth. and have since doubled my fish population. Also dosed phyto for about a week or so.

As of today I'm virtually dino free!!! Just some small matter that's brown and dying off I guess. And I've noticed an increase in activity from the small worms and stuff in my sandbed and fuge. And also more reproduction in my snails which had almost halted.

So next steps are to:

7) Add a few more fish

8) Purchase another package from Indo Pacific Sea Farms - worms, etc, to continue to populate my deep sand bed

Hope that's helpful and not too much detail. I really believe this thread not only saved my tank but single-handedly kept me in this hobby. I'm sure this isnt the last I will see of these horrible Dinos. But know I feel armed with a plan of attack. And as I mentioned, have a much better appreciation for balance in this hobby.

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005

Last edited by bheron; 09/18/2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: update text
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 12:11 PM   #1841
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Wow. Mine started much the same way back in March. Perfect tank. Beautiful purple rocks lol. Baby was born in May. Spent a week at the hospital. And bam. Dino's. Did massive water changes and it's worse!!! I've stopped water changes. Run socks. But can't let go of my skimmer. Dino's still there. Tiny tiny bit better. Wired most of my turbo snail population died. Weird eh.

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 12:12 PM   #1842
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Started running carbon and gfo. Havnt had them online in about a year

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 02:10 PM   #1843
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

@bheron Wow, what an ordeal! I'm glad you're making headway finally. I think you are right about excessive cleanliness. I think it leads to low biodiversity, creating an environment where only extremophiles like cyano and dinos can survive. I hypothesize that the few of us with really intractable dinos (Hi DNA!) have something missing or wrong so far down the food chain it's difficult to remediate. Probably not a coincidence that neither of us has access to good real live rock or microfauna kits.

@Cyberdude Congrats on the new baby! Dinos are famous for killing snails. They are the organism responsible for 'red tides' and a lot of shellfish poisoning/killer diarrhea in the wild. I thought I had 'new tank algae' until all my snails died within a week. Stop doing water changes! Add a big bunch of pods if you can.

@Billy Shrimpy will regrow the antenna next moult. Weren't you going to add some hair algae rocks from your girlfriend's tank? Did that work? H2O2 did nothing for me either. I don't think it's worked for anyone in this thread. I've been eyeing my old books on freshwater kilifish too. *rolls eyes*

ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 04:59 PM   #1844
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
@Billy Shrimpy will regrow the antenna next moult. Weren't you going to add some hair algae rocks from your girlfriend's tank? Did that work? H2O2 did nothing for me either. I don't think it's worked for anyone in this thread. I've been eyeing my old books on freshwater kilifish too. *rolls eyes*

ivy
I was going too, but all her hair algae died already. -_-

Unread 09/18/2015, 05:24 PM   #1845
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Once all dinosaur are gone. When would you assume is a safe time to do water change?

Unread 09/18/2015, 07:41 PM   #1846
garygonzales
Registered Member

im never doing one again..lol....who knows but all i know is the is a major outbreak of this stuff this year..in my area so ***,,,maybe water maybe air i dont know but ive never had this in the 12 years of my tank ...and now all of a sudden...twice now...not liking it...lol....

Unread 09/18/2015, 09:45 PM   #1847
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
im never doing one again..lol....who knows but all i know is the is a major outbreak of this stuff this year..in my area so ***,,,maybe water maybe air i dont know but ive never had this in the 12 years of my tank ...and now all of a sudden...twice now...not liking it...lol....
If I ever get rid of this and it comes back, I'm giving up. Hell no would I battle this again.

Unread 09/18/2015, 09:46 PM   #1848
Billybatz9
Registered Member

One thing I will mention about my gfs tank who battled dinos...
Yes, her tank had lots of hair algae, but also lots of copepods, and I am seeing a good amount of Flatworms also. Could Flatworms be a possible fighter of the dinos?

Unread 09/19/2015, 03:50 AM   #1849
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheron View Post
I really believe this thread not only saved my tank but single-handedly kept me in this hobby. I'm sure this isnt the last I will see of these horrible Dinos. But know I feel armed with a plan of attack. And as I mentioned, have a much better appreciation for balance in this hobby.
This is like a fresh wind in our sails.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 11:46 AM   #1850
karimwassef
Registered Member

After using the clean method, I stocked my tank and refugium with glass and peppermint shrimp... I also run an open flow - no socks or nets.

Result :

http://youtu.be/8IU-gGSYyB4

Plankton to the max.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote