Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2018, 11:02 PM   #7201
scottwhitson
Registered Member

I am looking for recommendations for a skimmer for a 120 with either a 40 breeder or a 75 for a frag tank attached to the system. Total water volume of around 250 gallons with sump etc.

scottwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 06:02 AM   #7202
Jwey
Registered Member

I may have to rethink this setup.
I have a 240 DT that flows to a 240 Frag then down to a 100 Gal sump. I figure around 450 total water volume. With only a handful of fish I think I am a low to med bioload. MY SWC 300 maybe a bit undersized and with possibly the wrong pump I might just look to a new skimmer all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Air and water need to be balanced. With more flow you get more turbulence like I said which makes it harder to produce a stable head. Also you are loosing bubbles out the drain.. The other issue is you need the air to be about the same. If you are pushing less air the skimmate may not make it up the neck.. You need a pump that is close in gph and air lp/h as the original pump...

Jwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 07:00 AM   #7203
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwhitson View Post
I am looking for recommendations for a skimmer for a 120 with either a 40 breeder or a 75 for a frag tank attached to the system. Total water volume of around 250 gallons with sump etc.
Honestly Coralvue has RLSS skimmer on e b a y that are on clearance. You can get a RLSS R8-i Protein for 290. It is a great skimmer especially for the price. You will not be able to get parts most likely because they are on clearance if something goes wrong and it would be perfect.

You want something a little better a ATB 840 v2.0 Protein Skimmer would be perfect.

I am in the same boat right now setting up a 120 with attached frag system.
I am still contemplating bringing in the Ultrareef skimmer when the time comes. it is hard to pass up that deal on the RLSS though. I have the 6 inch version and have had it for years. Now it is a backup skimmer, worked so good it was hard to sell...

I run a Ultrareef skimmer now and it is really good skimmer and such high quality on a smaller tank. This is the way I am leaning myself but the RLSS is a good skimmer too especially for the price.

Another skimmer is the Nyos that people are really loving.. i have not owned one so sizing is tough for me but most likely would be Quantum 160 depending on load. Maybe bigger if heavy load.

Allot really depends on what you want to spend. There are allot of lower priced skimmer with sicce pump that do ok now adays too. You just have to double the gallons they are rated for when picking one because they always say they can handle double what they can actually handle.

Last edited by shred5; 04/26/2018 at 07:27 AM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 07:12 AM   #7204
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwey View Post
I may have to rethink this setup.
I have a 240 DT that flows to a 240 Frag then down to a 100 Gal sump. I figure around 450 total water volume. With only a handful of fish I think I am a low to med bioload. MY SWC 300 maybe a bit undersized and with possibly the wrong pump I might just look to a new skimmer all together.
See post above except bigger see post.:

RLSS R10-i and ATB 1050A should be ok maybe one size larger on the ATB.. I would email ATB to see what they suggest. Again RLSS is being clearanced on E B A Y so it is a risk if something happens but you cant beat the price for any skimmer.

also depends on what you want to spend?

Again the Nyos has been doing well for people but you might be looking at 220 or 300... Never owned one so sizing is a little tough and also it really depends on load not so much gallons of water. If your frag tanks have no fish in it there wont be much load added.

Last edited by shred5; 04/26/2018 at 07:38 AM.
Unread 04/26/2018, 07:39 PM   #7205
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
Akula pump.you can see the clear volute with white cover and the white back plate
Attachment 389702

Fine tune gate valve knob
Attachment 389703
How is the skimmer doing?

Unread 04/27/2018, 08:47 AM   #7206
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
How is the skimmer doing?
doing well.

taking a little longer to break in because i have been fussing around with different plumbing and pumps, but so far so good.

pulls a lot of solids and quite a bit of sludge builds in the upper third of the neck (lots in cup too). dont want to skim wetter right now so will keep it there for now. i will definitely be getting a neck cleaner for this and this skimmer will pull even better . very steady air/water line and quiet. i have the skimmer in 8.6 inches of water and may run deeper since it is only pulling 480 to 500lph. i have to really close down the gate valve (2/3) to get the water line where i like. I may pull my larger NW from my psk600 on the RD skimmer i have and try it out just to see what it does. Not sure if the white NW is the same on mine as it is on yours. It appears smaller than the NW i have on my RD skimmers psk 600. hope the volute is deep enough to try the RD NW. we'll see

will be doing review in a few weeks

thanks for the recommendation. great skimmer and quite the space saver too.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller

Last edited by reeftivo; 04/27/2018 at 09:33 AM.
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 09:48 AM   #7207
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
doing well.

taking a little longer to break in because i have been fussing around with different plumbing and pumps, but so far so good.

pulls a lot of solids and quite a bit of sludge builds in the upper third of the neck (lots in cup too). dont want to skim wetter right now so will keep it there for now. i will definitely be getting a neck cleaner for this and this skimmer will pull even better . very steady air/water line and quiet. i have the skimmer in 8.6 inches of water and may run deeper since it is only pulling 480 to 500lph. i have to really close down the gate valve (2/3) to get the water line where i like. I may pull my larger NW from my psk600 on the RD skimmer i have and try it out just to see what it does. Not sure if the white NW is the same on mine as it is on yours. It appears smaller than the NW i have on my RD skimmers psk 600. hope the volute is deep enough to try the RD NW. we'll see

will be doing review in a few weeks

thanks for the recommendation. great skimmer and quite the space saver too.
Right now with this skimmer and some Matrix I can not keep my nutrients up... corals are very light. First time since beginning the hobby I had to test nitrate and phosphates because they are too low. I show nothing on both kits not even a tint.. Been dosing both nitrates and phosphates and they will not go up. Trying to add more fish.. Think I am going to pull the Matrix for bit, probably do not need it with this skimmer.

Unread 04/27/2018, 10:09 AM   #7208
reeftivo
Skim junkie

i pulled my matrix and now running lignite instead.

having the same issue. it skims very well. i stopped carbon dosing and now using chaeto rx. PO4 has dropped to 0 (hanna) and nitrate is 3ppm (2 week Wcs) . i dont run any extra PO4 media.

feeding 3 cubes a day and some large spectrum pellets. i want to run the skimmer a little dryer but need the neck cleaner for that or else i will get a lot of sludge in the neck.

super happy with the skimmer though. love the big cup!

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
Unread 04/27/2018, 10:19 AM   #7209
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
i pulled my matrix and now running lignite instead.

having the same issue. it skims very well. i stopped carbon dosing and now using chaeto rx. PO4 has dropped to 0 (hanna) and nitrate is 3ppm (2 week Wcs) . i dont run any extra PO4 media.

feeding 3 cubes a day and some large spectrum pellets. i want to run the skimmer a little dryer but need the neck cleaner for that or else i will get a lot of sludge in the neck.

super happy with the skimmer though. love the big cup!
Lignite as in carbon?

Weird we are always on the same page as far as the hobby goes. Didn't you have a CO-1 too?

Still use one on my Caribbean small reef and it still pull better than any skimmer Ever.. I wish the larger ones were as good... Only draw back is being build cheap and way too small of a cup.

Last edited by shred5; 04/27/2018 at 10:31 AM.
Unread 04/27/2018, 10:38 AM   #7210
reeftivo
Skim junkie

yep carbon! a little less aggressive

still have the CO-1. Was going to keep running it, but that small cup, height of sump to skimmer depth and space restrictions, wouldn't allow me to run a skim locker. That cup on the CO-1 is waay too small. not sure why they just don't keep the neck the same size and widen the OD of the cup at least 1/2 in.

Unread 08/28/2018, 02:20 PM   #7211
tiflyche
Registered Member

to rinse or not to rinse

I run my simmer fairly dry, just on the edge of what some might consider wet. I empty my collection cup and give the cup a quick rinse in the sink without scrubbing. should I be rinsing the cup clean of buildup at every empty (every 1-3 days) or just let it build up and make it a monthly husbandry thing. Are there any suggestions as to what "collects" better, rinsed or washed?

Essentially, what care should be taken to ensure I am not reintroducing or building up toxic sludge?

I have a Reef Octopus 1000 HOB

tiflyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 02:54 PM   #7212
Wind
Registered Member

Not sure where to post, but am in the market for a HOB Skimmer.

Have narrowed down to the Deltec MCE 600 or the Reef Octopus BH 2000.

Does anyone know of any newer HOB coming to the market?

Any retailers still carry the Deltec MCE 600 HOB?

Or any mods to the Reef Octopus 2000 to make it even stronger?

Wanted something fail safe, such as if the collection cup being ove filled when away from house for work.

Noise isn‘t too much of an issue, but I‘ve heard people say the Deltec was noisier. Thanks

Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 03:04 PM   #7213
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Not sure where to post, but am in the market for a HOB Skimmer.

Have narrowed down to the Deltec MCE 600 or the Reef Octopus BH 2000.

Does anyone know of any newer HOB coming to the market?

Any retailers still carry the Deltec MCE 600 HOB?

Or any mods to the Reef Octopus 2000 to make it even stronger?

Wanted something fail safe, such as if the collection cup being ove filled when away from house for work.

Noise isn‘t too much of an issue, but I‘ve heard people say the Deltec was noisier. Thanks

I have owned the MCE600 and it skims awsum. It has a Aquabee pump which is a great pump...

Never owned that RO model but have had a few others and their skimmers usually are not too bad for the price.

Unread 11/14/2018, 03:09 PM   #7214
Wind
Registered Member

Quote:
I have owned the MCE600 and it skims awsum. It has a Aquabee pump which is a great pump...

Never owned that RO model but have had a few others and their skimmers usually are not too bad for the price.
Yes, I am also leaning on that. Umm,.can u tell me where you bought yours? Google hasn‘t yielded much results.

Also, how. is the maintenance and have you used the chamber with other medias? Thanks

Unread 11/14/2018, 03:37 PM   #7215
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, I am also leaning on that. Umm,.can u tell me where you bought yours? Google hasn‘t yielded much results.

Also, how. is the maintenance and have you used the chamber with other medias? Thanks

It was a long time ago. I really do not remember.
That skimmer has been around a long time.

Best bet is to talk to Adam at Battle corals.
He is a old friend of mine and he sells Deltec. Tell him you talked to me.
He will tell you everything you need and help you out if you decide to go that way.
Matter of Fact Adam purchased that Deltec MCE 600 skimmer from me long before he went into business. Very honest good guy..
Looking at his site too they now sell a MCE 500.

https://battlecorals.com/collections/deltec

Unread 11/14/2018, 03:39 PM   #7216
Wind
Registered Member

Quote:
It was a long time ago. I really do not remember.
That skimmer has been around a long time.

Best bet is to talk to Adam at Battle corals.
He is a old friend of mine and he sells Deltec. Tell him you talked to me.
Matter of Fact Adam purchased that Deltec skimmer from me long before he went into business. Very honest good guy..

https://battlecorals.com/collections/deltec
Sweet. Thanks!

Unread 11/14/2018, 03:44 PM   #7217
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Sweet. Thanks!
I had edit my post above with a little more info while you were replying to me.

Unread 11/18/2018, 08:49 AM   #7218
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

Need help picking out a new skimmer. I need a skimmer that works great and is silent.
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 tank (34Gal w/9 gal sump) It has to be silent per agreement with my husband in order to put the tank in living area.
I currently have the Simplicity 120 skimmer, which has a DC pump, but I do not like this skimmer. I keep have problems with it, when working properly it is silent, but doesn't always work very well. It seams like all the other better skimmers that have a dc pump are for larger tanks. I'm not so much worried about price but silent operation and fit in sump. Skimmer chamber is 11.8 x 9.8 but prefer 9 1/2" x 11 1/4" so I can get heater in there.
Can a skimmer be too large for a tank?

I was looking at:

Octopus Classic 110INT Protein Skimmer (rated as quiet pump, but not dc pump, rated at right size for my tank, tried and true brand, cant go wrong with a Reef Octopus, right?)

Nyos 120 (reviews say it is quiet, but not dc pump, rated for my size tank)

Regal 6" Int Super Space Saver Protein Skimmer (dc pump but rated for 100 to 210 gal,is this too big for my tank?)

Bubble King® Double Cone 130 (not dc pump but rated as very quiet, will just barley fit in sump, rated for my size tank)

Any recommendations on above or others?

Thanks for your help!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170, my reef tank. 180 gal FOWLR tank
MrsBugmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 01:03 PM   #7219
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBugmaster View Post
Need help picking out a new skimmer. I need a skimmer that works great and is silent.
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 tank (34Gal w/9 gal sump) It has to be silent per agreement with my husband in order to put the tank in living area.
I currently have the Simplicity 120 skimmer, which has a DC pump, but I do not like this skimmer. I keep have problems with it, when working properly it is silent, but doesn't always work very well. It seams like all the other better skimmers that have a dc pump are for larger tanks. I'm not so much worried about price but silent operation and fit in sump. Skimmer chamber is 11.8 x 9.8 but prefer 9 1/2" x 11 1/4" so I can get heater in there.
Can a skimmer be too large for a tank?

I was looking at:

Octopus Classic 110INT Protein Skimmer (rated as quiet pump, but not dc pump, rated at right size for my tank, tried and true brand, cant go wrong with a Reef Octopus, right?)

Nyos 120 (reviews say it is quiet, but not dc pump, rated for my size tank)

Regal 6" Int Super Space Saver Protein Skimmer (dc pump but rated for 100 to 210 gal,is this too big for my tank?)

Bubble King® Double Cone 130 (not dc pump but rated as very quiet, will just barley fit in sump, rated for my size tank)

Any recommendations on above or others?

Thanks for your help!

Not A fan of Simplicity .

Dc pumps are quieter than AC pumps. Some AC pumps are quieter than others but still have not seen one as quite as DC even though some come very close.

Nyos and Deltec are popular with the Red Sea crowd.

I have used the Regal and had overflow issues till I put a valve on the air line. Reducing the speed of the pump worked but reduced the production to much. I reduced the air and it worked frigging great. Part of the issue is I think there was not enough waste in the tank and I think you would have the same problem.

Nyos 120 and the Octopus classic would work well but is is a little loader than most dc pumps. It would be a good fit and very nice skimmers.

Personally I would suggest the same as I did above Contact Adam at battle corals and ask him what DC skimmer he would suggest.
I have not used any recent Deltec skimmers but those I have used have always been rock solid. Deltec are a little more pricey but not nearly as much as some skimmers and perform very well..
That size reef is hard to size a skimmer for because of the size and some skimmers are just too much.

I was looking at the Deltec 600i DC and it looks like a good fit and is on sale. It has around 8.5 x5.5 foot print. It pulls 500 liters of air.

Honestly I think I will pick up a Deltec soon to try the new models I have been hearing and seeing allot of good things with there newer lines.

Unread 11/18/2018, 02:01 PM   #7220
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

@shred5 So with the Deltec dc pump I need my own controller to control it? It doesn't look like it come with one.

Unread 11/18/2018, 03:09 PM   #7221
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

Never mind. I was looking at the wrong model. It does come with controller.

Unread 11/19/2018, 08:52 AM   #7222
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBugmaster View Post
Never mind. I was looking at the wrong model. It does come with controller.
This skimmer looks interesting. I would like to get my hands on one to try.

How they perform who knows but RedSea has been doing some quality stuff lately.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/re...immer-red-sea/

It has a Sicce pump which is one of the more reliable pumps on the market.
This pump is AC but is one of the more quite AC pumps but still not as quite as my DC pumps. The Sicce is also one of the most widely used skimmer pumps and not to bad in the efficiency range either..

Unread 11/27/2018, 12:43 PM   #7223
MrsBugmaster
Registered Member

Quote:
This skimmer looks interesting. I would like to get my hands on one to try.

How they perform who knows but RedSea has been doing some quality stuff lately.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/re...immer-red-sea/

It has a Sicce pump which is one of the more reliable pumps on the market.
This pump is AC but is one of the more quite AC pumps but still not as quite as my DC pumps. The Sicce is also one of the most widely used skimmer pumps and not to bad in the efficiency range either..

This Red Sea skimmer does look interesting. Although from looking at it closely, I could be wrong, but it appears the collection cup is not removable, drained only by the attached hose? Not sure if I would like this, may be to hard to clean.

Unread 12/07/2018, 11:59 AM   #7224
afish70
Registered Member

New system skimmer questions

Hello everyone. I am beginning a new build and am in search of some guidance/advice. I am going to be doing a 90 or 120 gallon mixed reef. I have purchased a sumo/algae scrubber combo from 302 Aquatics. i am looking at using either the Eshoppes Eclipse L overflow or the Synergy Reef 16" Shadow overflow, unless someone has something better they can suggest. i have a Jebao DCP-5000 pump i was going to use fro return pump. all will be plumbed with 1" PVC. i am trying to figure out the skimmer for this setup and if the pump I have will be enough. I have been looking at the Vertex Omega 150, the Reef Octopus Classic 150 EXT, the Reef octopus Classic 150 INT and the new IceCap K-1 160. What are y'alls thoughts on these skimmers? What about my setup? All advice greatly appreciated.

afish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 02:10 PM   #7225
shred5
Registered Member

I do not like the Synergy 16" even though I love their 20" overflow. The 16" seems flimsy. I have used the 20" on several tanks and love it.

Never heard a bad thing about the Eclipse overflow.

I have been using the Modular marine ones lately and like them.

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex