Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2003, 02:00 PM   #1
VL
Moved On

Can my Zebra Eel share a 50 Gal corner with a Bimac?

Got the tank all setup and am waiting to place an order for my new BiMac. Was just wondering though if I might be able to have him share his new home with a Zebra eel.

Currently I have a 72 Bow with a Lion (10 "), Snowflake Eel (11 "), Ribbon Eel (28"), and a Golden spot moray (10"). I wanted to add a Zebra eel but I am thinking the 72 is too full as it is and perhaps I could get him to live with an Octo. Seeing how the Zebra shouldn't be interested in eating him unlike the snowflake or Golden Spot moray.

Thanks.

VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2003, 07:08 AM   #2
OctoMonkey
Registered Member

Really dont think I'd risk it.... It'd be an accident waiting to happen, one of them would sooner or later eat the other!

C

Unread 02/22/2003, 10:12 AM   #3
sideways
Registered Member

I've heard that morays and octos see each other as enemies. If this is true, then the octo may see the zebra as an enemy, or vice versa. I really think seastars, cuke's, and maybe urchins are the only safe tankmates.

sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2003, 04:40 PM   #4
joeyd
Registered Member

i have had a cinnamon clown in the tank w/ my bimac for about 4 months now. the bimac (kermit) does try to catch the fish on occassion but doesn't put much effort into it. hermit crabs and frozen smelt are easier prey for him so that's what he goes for. i have one amazing aitpasia problem so i bought a copperband butterfly at a really good price ($10) and decided to take the chance. he lasted a month or so before falling prey to kermit the terrible. i have a feeling he wouldn't have been eaten had i not waited 3 days to feed the octo.

several weeks ago i bought a 12" eel and put him in the tank with kermit. this thing was lightning fast and there was no way the octo would catch him unless he snuck up on the eel. the funny thing was that the eel would rest right on top of the rock kermit sleeps in! all was well for 2 weeks until the eel decided to slither out of the tank and mummify himself on the carpet.

this is just my experience and this is my first time around w/ an octo so take from it what you will. maybe bimacs are lazy and will always go for the easy meal, so as long as you keep them happy everything *might* be alright. perhaps my bimac is just a lazy SOB. *shrug*

joeyd is offline   Reply With Quote