Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 01:52 PM   #1
dputt88
Registered Member

Equipment Considerations for a 240 FOWLR

My dad and I have been reefing for about 7 years, we recently took down our latest 90 gal reef tank several months ago. It was beginning to have some issues, maintenance was a pain with the way it was set up (we were newbies) and I no longer live there so all of that maintenance was put on him.

when we took down our 90 gal we knew there were a few thing we wanted to modify about the fish tank area. I tore up the old tile which was popping up, took down the paneling, adjusted the electrical so outlets were higher up, put up green board and retiled.

Originally we were going to set the 90 gal back up as just a FOWLR... but after all this we decided we had to go bigger if we were only going to be doing fish. so giving that the tiled area is 9.5 ft by 5 ft we decided on a 240 gal in wall tank. I will be framing 2 walls making this a corner in wall tank wit the front and right hand side showing. there will be a door on the left side (about 3.5 feet of space on the left) and 2.5 feet of space behind the tank. the tank will measure 72x30x25.

Now before we actually sign off on this tank, were trying to figure out exactly how we are going to do this, most importantly what equipment will we be using. when were were reefing with a 90 gal, things were simple. but I have found myself completely unfamiliar with equipment rated for a tank this size. also I'm not sure what is considered over-doing-it since this is going to be a FOWLR tank. I'm going to post some questions below as to different types of equipment.

CONTROLLER. First I think I should start with the controller since different types of equipment have different compatibility with different brands of controllers. it isn't yet decided that we will even have a controller. we did want to set up a fairly automated system to reduce our work load but they are a little pricey. Ive looked at the apex mostly because there is simply more BRStv videos on them (LOL) I like the idea of having the new one that comes with all of these nifty probes but it's pretty expensive.

LIGHTS. I'm used to needing some pretty nice lights for my reef tank. But here we should be able to simplify right? spectrum is only going to help with algae control since there will be no coral. we want something bright enough to light this large tank evenly, but don't want to pay for tech that we aren't going to need. dimmability would be nice, especially is it can be controlled by our controller should we get one. hopefully someone can recommend something that is good for this 6x2 tank. oh yeah and definitely was LEDs for their low heat and low energy usage.

FLOW. powerhead are another thing I have gone back and forth on. I know i still need good flow to keep things like cyanobacteria down should water even get that bad. but were no longer keeping coral (we used to be SPS dominant) what a good power head that isn't going to break the bank and maybe only 2 of them would suffice. again, having these being controlled by a controller would be nice if we were to get one. then again, I don't really care for a wave/seiche action in a FOWLR tank so maybe fancy powerheads that connect to a controller aren't a high priority of mine.

RETURN PUMP. Internal or external? what GPH rating for a dual overflow tank with about 5ft head pace. also it seems that in my time off DC pumps have really taken off, which is pretty cool. We would like to plumb the return pump to also utilize a couple accessories. I think I like internal the best, less change of a leak that is outside of the tank and we don't have to worry about getting the pump wet.also should we hard plumb this? I would think so its probably a cleaner work space when you do.

TEMP CONTROL. This is a crazy one for me, we have never needed more than a 300W heater before. So is there someone out there making heaters for this size tank? if so what are there prices? how much energy are they using?!? my other thought was to install a re-circulation loop from the hot water heater which isnt very far from the tank. A re-circulation loop could easily be controlled by a controller yes? if we go this route what will I need? what material would the coil be mad of (PEX? Stainless?)? what is the general consensus on energy usage for internal heaters v. re-circulation loops?

SKIMMER. So this one I think we have down. because reef or FOWLR the skimmer depends on your bioload which is pretty much always dominated by fish. so generally just looking for recommendations on skimmers for this size tank, it will likely be medium to well stocked. Internal is probably better right?

Wow, that's enough talking from me. If you are going to recommend some equipment can you please provide descriptions of what you suggesting. I'm not familiar with every model umber out there so something like "you should get a BrandX 1234 Skimmer rated for 325 gal" it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks All.

dputt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 02:53 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You don't need a controller. It is up to you. I have never used one and see no need, but I don't care about graphing stuff or looking at my tank when I am at work. You need something to control your heaters, but that is all - Inkbird or Ranco are fine. If you do get a controller, don't get "cute" with it.

Just use some shop or hydroponics lights with T5 or T12 reef bulbs and change them every two or three years or whenever they burn out - this is NOT important at all. Some cheap LEDs would be fine too.

I would use a reliable submersible return pump - Ehiem, Fluval or Laguna are great and should last more than a decade.

Don't get too crazy with flow. See if you can find some cheap used stuff - Mag 7 or 9.5 make awesome powerheads and are stronger in the tank than most flow pumps. AquaMedic Ecodrift fill the void between cheap Chinese patent-stealing gargabe and the ultra expensive Tunze or EcoTech stuff.

Use two or three 300W heaters on an Inkbird of Ranco - dual control is great. I recommend Ehiem Heaters.

Get as large of a skimmer than you can fit. You don't have to get crazy here either - a simple ASM, Reef Octopus, etc. is fine. See if you can find a used one. You need to skim more in a FO than you do in a reef.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 06:45 AM   #3
dputt88
Registered Member

Thanks, any one else going to chime in?

dputt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 12:18 PM   #4
lancemusic91
Registered Member

I highly recommend going with jebao powerheads. You can buy them off eBay. Around 90 bucks can get you two powerheads with plenty of flow not to mention controllablity between wave modes.Great pumps for great prices. I have some on my 220 and they work great.i also use Jager heaters. Look of videos of jebao on youtube.they move tons of water. I've had several and they never have failed.

lancemusic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 12:24 PM   #5
lancemusic91
Registered Member

I also use a jebao dc 9000 return pump which work great on my tank.no complaints. I only run mine on half for my 220 with 2 one inch overflow pipes to my sump

Unread 11/08/2017, 12:28 PM   #6
lancemusic91
Registered Member

Btw I use two jagers on my tank in the overflow boxes. Only one runs. The other is slightly higher in temp setting so it can function as backup. I keep my house 72. The one heater keeps my 220 with 40 gallon sump 79 degrees consistently.

Unread 11/08/2017, 12:32 PM   #7
lancemusic91
Registered Member

Sorry I forgot to mention they are 300W