Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2007, 11:03 AM   #1
s2svetko
Registered Member

Question Super Market Nori vs LFS/Online Nori

Is there a difference between Nori bought in the supermarket ( in the ethnic foods section ) vs the Nori found at out LFS/online.

The stuff from the supermarket says that it is roasted and for many foods when you cook them loose some of their nutritional value ( Im going by the same idea why we dont feed our fish cooked foods ).

Does anybody have any good reasons not to buy Nori from the supermarket?

s2svetko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Craig Lambert
Premium Member

Same stuff, and costs 97% less.

Current Tank Info: 75G Tank, 29G Sump, 100lbs LR, AquaC EV-180, Iwaki MD-20RT return Tunze nano streams 4X54 t-5/Icecap Ballast & SLR's 2x110 vho actinic
Craig Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 11:13 AM   #3
xtm
Registered Member

Funny you posted this..

My wife found a Nori sheet in one of the kitchen cabinets and she showed it to me. It said "roasted" on the packaging so I was skeptical. I ripped a tiny bit and tasted it. It tasted very similar to the Julian Sprungs..lol (am I the only one here who likes to sample fish food? ) it's not "roasted" at all. It looked 100% similar to the LFS stuff. I put it on the clip and my Purple Tang went nuts and finished a 3x3 sheet

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Kurt03
Registered Member

my tangs love it, tons cheaper too.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Funny to see this post.

Our club did a behind the scene tour at the Long Beach Aquarium in SoCal this weekend. AS we were viewing the food prep area, guess what they pulled out? Yep, a big ol bag of dried Nori from the Asian market. Same stuff we get. They feed their tangs with it. They also use Romain lettuce for their fish. I asked about it and was told they only use romain, no other lettuce. Also they do not freeze it or anything else other than a heavy rinse.

So I'd say using Romain or Asian Nori is ok. I've been using the Asian Nori for over a year with no problems. And now that I know a major Aquarium is using it, then I'd say there's nothing wrong with it.

On another note, you'd be supprised what they use at such a large sucessful Aquarium. A lot of the things that we are told not to use. i.e. Natural Sea Water, Ozone, NO RO/DI make up water, just tap water filtered thru carbon and a sand bed filter, The food mentioned, Sand bed filters. They even use this stuff in there 5000 G reef and it seems to be doing just fine. They have to frag it all the time. Kind of puts a different perspective on things.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Mavrk
Registered Member

Just be sure not to get the flavored nori ("ajitsuke-nori"). These are sometimes labeled "teriyaki" or something. Other than those kinds, the ones at the supermarket are the same thing.

You can also soak the nori in Selcon (or other supplement) for added nutrition.

Mavrk is offline   Reply With Quote