Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2017, 04:59 PM   #1
sensei
Registered Member

different color of light in radium metal halide bulbs?

I use 400W radium blue metal halide bulbs.
I just changed bulbs and 2 of the 5 bulbs that I replaced showed a different color than the others to the naked eye even though they were exactly the same model of bulbs. I have some extra bulbs and I replaced them.

I made my complain and the supplier told me that bulbs need to burn for a couple of day before showing the real color.
is this true?

I ask because the other 5 bulbs were able to show the same color in less than 10 min , but this 2 ones stayed on for 30 min and did not change.

I am a little concerned because if the color is different the spectrum would not be the same in the sps tank and I do not know if the supplier is just telling me an excuse??

Thanks for your answer.

Unread 10/23/2017, 06:05 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You might need a couple of days - they do need to burn in a bit.

However, if you replaced them all, then you might have gotten some bad bulbs. I quit using CoralVue bulbs because of this - they would have 5K different color from batch to batch.

...sorry, I know that this is not helpful. Let us know what happens in a few days.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:35 PM   #3
sensei
Registered Member

I changed the 2 new ones that had different color because I thought they were deffective and then the supplier told me they need to burn a couple of days. I will see next time I change bulbs since I stored the ones that seemed to have a different color.

But if you experience they do need to burn a couple of days, then I guess they will be fine

I will not know if these is true until next time I change bulb and put try to use them again.

does anyone know if there a problem if you store halide bulbs for a long time?
letīs say 2 years??

thanks again