Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2012, 10:32 AM   #301
DannyLo
Registered Member

Just a question is it possible to pair a juve GSM with an adult black and white perc?

DannyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 06:51 AM   #302
rhibear
Registered Member

I have a pair of black & white Ocellaris and the male often kisses the female's cheek after a submission twitch as in the Maroon pairing description.

rhibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 07:33 AM   #303
Takeasnapshot
Registered Member

Where in Florida can I find a amazing deals on some clown fish because I just finished putting my 50 gallon tank together last week and would love to start putting some other fish in it besides Bennie and crabs.

Takeasnapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 02:20 PM   #304
random1234
Registered Member

HELP!!!!!!! I got a ocellaris clown fish about 3 weeks ago. I put him in a 55 gallon tank with a blue devil damsel and 3 stripped damsel and a two stripped damsel, of course the blue devil gave him a hard time and he was so stressed that at one point i thought he would die but its week three and hes still alive. is he too stresses to add another clown so they can pair?

random1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 02:39 PM   #305
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by random1234 View Post
HELP!!!!!!! I got a ocellaris clown fish about 3 weeks ago. I put him in a 55 gallon tank with a blue devil damsel and 3 stripped damsel and a two stripped damsel, of course the blue devil gave him a hard time and he was so stressed that at one point i thought he would die but its week three and hes still alive. is he too stresses to add another clown so they can pair?
Why would you want all those damsels in the tank? Get rid of them all and you can have your clowns. I would remove all the damsels before consider adding slow moving peaceful fish like Ocellaris clown in that tank.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 03:15 PM   #306
JerseyClowns
Moved On

Don't be a blue devil hater, I love the three I have in my 210G mixed reef. They're like a bunch of young punks.

Regarding pairing clowns, I would not attempt to pair clowns in a community tank. Better to pair them in their own tank and then add them into your display if that's what you're looking for. If you're really interested in pairing fish, a bare tank with either a small flower pot or some big (1.5-2") PVC 90s would be your best bet. Keep it as simple and constant as possible.

JerseyClowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 03:39 PM   #307
OrionN
Moved on

1 damsel in a 210 g tank is OK. 3 mean damsels in a 55 g tank is not OK for clowns to be add. You most likely end up with a dead clown.

3 mean damsels + bigger clown + 55g tank = one dead new Ocellaris (95+% of the time)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 07:11 PM   #308
blackwagon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeasnapshot View Post
Where in Florida can I find a amazing deals on some clown fish because I just finished putting my 50 gallon tank together last week and would love to start putting some other fish in it besides Bennie and crabs.
FAOIS in Oldsmar usually has picassos, snowflakes, onyx, and regular clownfish in stock. I've seen black ice, snow onyx, gladiators, sa fancy whites, ect there too. Better pricing than I see online.

blackwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 10:07 PM   #309
random1234
Registered Member

I just started the tank so the damsels went in first to make sure everything was running well.....how about if i just took out the blue devil..im kinda attached to my three stripe lol

random1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2012, 10:25 PM   #310
AliciaP
Registered Member

Why didn't I find this thread sooner!!!!! Thank you for the info. My clowns are two years old in my tank and I got them as juveniles (less than 1") and now the female is pushing 3 inches while the male is about 1.5-2". The sleep together and never leave each others sides. He will clean the clay pot and glass at their home, but she's not willing to spawn. Is that normal?

AliciaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 04:48 PM   #311
ezhoops
Registered Member

give it time, they will spawn.

off topic but what ever happened to the thread starter...JHardman

Current Tank Info: Working on 60 cube, sicce 3.0 return pump, 29 gal sump with fuge,Bubble Magnus NAC6 Skimmer, Aquaticlife 4 bulb T-5 VHO, 29gal Rare Clown breeding
ezhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 09:31 PM   #312
reefloverd1
returns

he probably got tired of the same questions over and over

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have Their shoes.

Current Tank Info: 14 gal. Biocube
reefloverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 11:09 PM   #313
jbax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaP View Post
Why didn't I find this thread sooner!!!!! Thank you for the info. My clowns are two years old in my tank and I got them as juveniles (less than 1") and now the female is pushing 3 inches while the male is about 1.5-2". The sleep together and never leave each others sides. He will clean the clay pot and glass at their home, but she's not willing to spawn. Is that normal?
yes it's normal,you just got wait it out. they sound to be the right size and age. my black ice pair were cleaning their spot for 7 months before they started to spawn. while my reg O's only did it for a like a week.

120g 4x2, dart pump, i-tech 100, tunze ato, apex controller & lunar simulator.

Current Tank Info: 120g, 54 corner
jbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2013, 06:09 PM   #314
bryanracing95
Registered Member

I am going to give this a shot with some maroon clowns when I set my system up at the new house.

bryanracing95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2014, 05:54 PM   #315
BuufaloReef
Registered Member

Sorry I didnt read this or did better homework before I jumped into this..

I have a snowflake That once was a pair I bought from liveaquaria 2yrs ago..They were not a bounded pair..The bigger one died a few months after I got them and this one has been alone over a year..So, I guess that its a female now...

There was a pair at the LFS.. I bought one of them hoping they would hook up not knowing what I know now!

Here is some video 2days into(1/22)

I thought they might be starting to like each other, but they are doing pretty much doing the same thing.. The new clown's mouth looks like it's hurt.. So, I guessing they are both females? And I should think about splitting them up?

Thanks for any help!!

BuufaloReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2014, 11:51 PM   #316
byochum
Registered Member

Unhappy Help!

I had bought two Ocellaris Clownfish, one of the was bigger than the other but were not necessarily "paired" together because my LFS had put them together about 2 week before I purchased them. But I couldn't find the smaller one for almost a day and then I noticed that it had died and was stuck between the tank and the power flow. I don't know if that is how it died or if it was dead before. But now the bigger one is acting strange and staying in one spot, should I get another smaller clown fish for it? Will it die? Could I pair it with a black one. I also have a big nem that it would usually go to but isn't. HELPP!

byochum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 12:18 AM   #317
byochum
Registered Member

I looked up a video of clownfish the the anenome and put the video up to the tank and that same day they ended up hosting it!

byochum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 02:06 PM   #318
Proffugazi
Registered Member

Great Thread! Much Thanks to JHardman as OP! Post started 2003 Impressive!

I'm in process of setting up anemone tank. And was wondering if adding multiple clowns(diff species) would help in pairing. I.E have tank with 1 ocellaris 1 tomato(both female) but getting along in 120gal. Add two clarkii(small) two seaba(small) 1 ocellaris 1 tomato(both small) yes I realize this kinda goes against the gain of thread. But ready to move fish to other tanks if not working out. Also have 3 types of zoas and 2 long tentacle anemones in tank(but both tomato and ocellaris give them no never mind)

Last edited by Proffugazi; 05/03/2015 at 02:13 PM.
Proffugazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 02:25 PM   #319
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffugazi View Post
Great Thread! Much Thanks to JHardman as OP! Post started 2003 Impressive!

I'm in process of setting up anemone tank. And was wondering if adding multiple clowns(diff species) would help in pairing. I.E have tank with 1 ocellaris 1 tomato(both female) but getting along in 120gal. Add two clarkii(small) two seaba(small) 1 ocellaris 1 tomato(both small) yes I realize this kinda goes against the gain of thread. But ready to move fish to other tanks if not working out. Also have 3 types of zoas and 2 long tentacle anemones in tank(but both tomato and ocellaris give them no never mind)
That's a recipe for all out war.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 04:58 PM   #320
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHardman View Post
b. A clownfish kept by its self will become a female in a short period of time if it is physically mature, in as little as a month.
At least for A. bicinctus this is not the case.

"Social Control of Sex: Field Experiments with the Anemonefish Amphiprion bicinctus
Abstract:
From the underwater station Neritica, situated in 11 m depth off the shore of the Heinz-Steinitz-Marine-Laboratory in Eilat, Israel, experiments were carried out to investigate the influence of food restriction, social status, body size and relative frequency of aggressive interactions on protandric sex change in the anemonefish A. bicinctus. Some 47 fish were tagged and observed in different conditions. Caged conditions retard, sometimes even prevent sex change in dominant males; it is suggested that this is consequent upon the ensuing food restriction, also that this mechanism operates to prevent sex change in subdominants in freeliving conditions, through the aggressive restraint of dominant males. No solitary males, caged or free, complete a sex change. Complete functional sex change occurs only in well-fed aggressively dominant males at least 100 mm in body length in the presence of a social partner. The study shows that social stimuli are vital for the initiation of sex change in these males."

Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...327.x/abstract

So a single or too small clownfish can not become (fully) female.
While this study used exclusively A. bicinctus it can be assumed that this applies to all Amphiprion and likely also to Premnas.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 05/03/2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: formatting
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 10:12 PM   #321
Proffugazi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
At least for A. bicinctus this is not the case.

"Social Control of Sex: Field Experiments with the Anemonefish Amphiprion bicinctus
Abstract:
From the underwater station Neritica, situated in 11 m depth off the shore of the Heinz-Steinitz-Marine-Laboratory in Eilat, Israel, experiments were carried out to investigate the influence of food restriction, social status, body size and relative frequency of aggressive interactions on protandric sex change in the anemonefish A. bicinctus. Some 47 fish were tagged and observed in different conditions. Caged conditions retard, sometimes even prevent sex change in dominant males; it is suggested that this is consequent upon the ensuing food restriction, also that this mechanism operates to prevent sex change in subdominants in freeliving conditions, through the aggressive restraint of dominant males. No solitary males, caged or free, complete a sex change. Complete functional sex change occurs only in well-fed aggressively dominant males at least 100 mm in body length in the presence of a social partner. The study shows that social stimuli are vital for the initiation of sex change in these males."

Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...327.x/abstract

So a single or too small clownfish can not become (fully) female.
While this study used exclusively A. bicinctus it can be assumed that this applies to all Amphiprion and likely also to Premnas.
Thanks for the Info and Reply! Very Interesting read.

Bit Late though as I ordered the fish, before reading this post. But as I said I'm ready with more tanks should it not work out.

This tank has been a work in progress for about a year.

I Have two 250watt MH, Kessil a150 deep ocean blue LED, 1/4 HP Chiller, Reef Octopus Classic 150NIT 6", Carbon/GFO Reactor, 40gal sump, 120gal tank,80lbs live rock, half the tank has 60lbs Live sand(gives4"depth)

The tank only has some zoes, two small anemones,6-7 hermits,2 turbos, 30 zombie snails,10bumble bee snails, 5 adult cerith snails, 300+ baby snails lol, yellow clown goby and the two clowns stated above(best of buds btw go figure)

The Tank Absolutely Crawls at Night with Activity, that keeps the Tank surprisingly Clean. Perfect water testing, though my Nitrates could be lower(getting 5-10ppm readings) working on a algae scrubber.

I Truly believe it will not be "All Out War" maybe more of a cold war ._. But we shall see. Thanks for your concern and words though. I'l keep you posted

Proffugazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2016, 07:27 AM   #322
canadianeh
Registered Member

I have a and white tank raised ocellaris that I bought almost 1 month ago. It was in QT tank for 1 week and DT for about 2 weeks. It is about 1 inch size.

I bought another clown yesterday 1.5 inch and it is a black and white snowflake.

Will they get along? The new clown is in isolation box right now

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 08:53 PM   #323
Ciclova
Registered Member

I have had an ocellaris clown (orange), that has been in my tank with 3 other fish (goby, cardinal and chromis...all introduced at the same time) for about 3 months. I added a black/white ocellaris to the tank about 2 weeks ago. The original is a lot bigger and chased the other around and snipped at it quite a bit and it has become a jumper (ending up in the sump for days several times).

I just recently put it back in the tank and the bigger one is not chasing as much and they are kinda "hanging out" off and on.

I do know they do the "seizure dance" and that is supposed to be showing submissive behavior, however...it's the bigger clown that I've had for awhile that is doing the shaking. I thought it was the other (or smaller new fish) that would be showing submission. I'm confused. I have only seen the smaller one shake back once so far. Shouldn't this be the other way around?

What's going on here?

Ciclova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 04:29 PM   #324
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagamet View Post
Jhardman,

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll cut and paste it off to the list.

On a VERY happy note, I just got an email notifying me that the bonded pair of tank raised, adult Clarkii clowns I ordered from ORA are in Pittsburgh, where I'll pick them up this weekend. They have spawned twice already at ORA, so I'm really stoked! It's only an 8 hour drive from my place to Pittsburgh and back, so they'll only have a 4 hour "ride" to get to their new home.

Tagamet

How did you arrange that?? I know this is old post....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 09:53 PM   #325
Maroonmom13
Registered Member

Maroon specific behavior and pairing

Ok I bought my lightening maroon pair at my LFS (already paired) and one was larger than the other. Introduced them to the tank at the same time as they were already paired. At the time, we had a BTA that had found itself comfy right next to the pump on the back glass. At first the smaller clown made itself right at home in the anemone and would not leave it (all day and night) that lasted for about 2 weeks or so. The larger clown would try and attack the smaller one while in the anemone and it was like he used the anemone as a shield at times.

Then the anemone decided to move... As soon as he moved or basically fell off the back glass we reattached him to the rock. The clowns didn't go near him for almost 2-3 weeks. Since we have introduced another BTA on the other side of the tank hoping they both would have a friend to host. Neither noticed the new BTA and now the female will snuggle in both BTA going from one to the other while the smaller clown floats over in the corner. And it's the opposite side of the tank either at the very bottom at the sand or the very top of the tank where he has stayed for almost a week now. I feel bad for him because I noticed if he tries to go anywhere else the female comes from behind the rock and attacks him. He started looking lighter in color and just fatigued. I finally had to feed him with a dropper just to make sure he was eating since she also attacks if he tries to swim to food.

My ultimate questions... Is this normal even after being paired for 2 months in 20g tank?

Should I put the little guy in a box/ container for a few weeks so he can get his strength back?

If I do quarantine him, could I put one of the BTA in the box with him to acclimate him better or would this stress out the BTA?

TIA for any advice!

Maroonmom13 is offline   Reply With Quote