Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2008, 08:30 PM   #1
rlmblm21
Registered Member

Diadema pseudo eating my zoa-eating nudis?

Is it possible? I added this little devil to combat a flatworm problem I am having. I have always vowed never to add a pseudochromis to my tank (at least not a tank that had any other fish at all......), but I broke my own rule because the guy at the LFS said the pseudo might eat my flatworms.

Well, for the first week the pseudo hid in the reef, only coming out at night when everyone else was sleeping. (His tankmates are a 3 & 1/2 year old mated pair of false percs, 3 different fairy and one flasher wrasse, a 2 year old Yellow Watchman Goby, a Green Mandarin, a medium-large foxface, and a medium-small blue regal tang.) During the last 3-4 days the psuedo has come out of the reef during lights on, and has only given mild chase to one of the fairy wrasses. He's been a fairly good tankmate.

I've been fighting these zoa eating nudis for months, and during the last month and a half or so, I started really losing the battle. In my 90G tank, I would remove 2-3 nudis each morning, another 1-3 during each day, and then 2-4 each night a few hours after lights out. EVERY DAY for over a month!!! During the last 3-4 days I have found zero nudis. ZERO! Is it possible this little psuedo is eating the nudis? I cannot find any information that says they eat zoa eating nudis, but I can tell you that my population of nudis has greatly reduced over the last 3-4 days.

rlmblm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Skeptic_07
Registered Member

well, they'd definitely fit in its mouth so i'd say, yes, its possible.

Skeptic_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 02:05 AM   #3
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

I do think it's possible. I suspect my Pseudochromis flavivertex in my frag tank eats them but have never witnessed it. A while back I stupidly didn't dip some frags from a friend and it turned out they had nudis on them. I ended up just quickly running them under the faucet until I could do a proper dip once I realized they were infested. When I went to dip them a week or two later they nor any other zoanthid frag in the tank had a single nudibranch. I know, I was being a lazy irresponsible hobbyist While my crude methods may have been 100% effective I kind of doubt it and think the Pseudochromis MAY have taken care of any straglers.

Unread 05/28/2008, 03:06 AM   #4
jeweldamsel
Registered Member

If the nudis are gone, your psueod is doing its job.

jeweldamsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 05:57 AM   #5
rlmblm21
Registered Member

So for you folks that have this or another kind of pseudo, will he be a model citizen in my tank once he gets comfortable? If he's going to be the nudi patrol I don't want to get rid of him. (As soon as I put him in, and before the nudis started disappearing, I was already planning on taking him out when he finished eating the flatworms. Now I kinda want to keep him, but only if he's not going to harrass my wrasses.)

rlmblm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

I find many Pseudochromis to be pretty good citizens and I've had one in nearly ever reef tank I've kept throughout the years. That being said the Diadema can be a real troublemaker and it's hard to say what the future holds. I would be cautious of adding fish of similar size from here on out but you might as well leave him in there til he causes trouble since one way or another you're going to have to catch him.