Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2012, 03:45 PM   #101
metro6775
Registered Member

You cannot come on a popular forum full of people who want to see a light that has been rumored to be released in spring 2012, yet no official announcement, and then say "Yeah I have them over my tank and they are sweet" without being called out. I don't think anyone was calling him out as a "newcomer", it just looks very fishy when it is your first post.

Posts like that are not even worth reading without pics. Anyway, the whole situation made him look like a troll - First post, then photos don't work, etc.

Well I'm glad the lights exists, thanks for the pics! And I second on the notion that Kessil needs to have information like this leaked to drive up the excitement. I was about to give up on this light, but the leak probably gained Kessil another two months of my anticipation.

metro6775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 04:59 PM   #102
Fig
Registered Member

My 2- A150's keep RBTA's just fine midway on a 40 breeder, so i don't think you'll have any problems with the 350 keeping them FWIW.

Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 06:36 PM   #103
madean
Registered Member

metro- i hope it does not take two months to hear or see anything again

madean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 09:23 PM   #104
madean
Registered Member

talked to a person at a lfs in the bay area and sounds like june ish will be the release date. looks like they are tunable for the color you want and dimmable. the guy said its probably equivalent to about a 300-350w mh bulb and not really 400w. The guy also said they will be available in two optics- one for normal width tanks and another for wide tanks. Hope this helps, the guy was very hesitant to really give out any info until I said that pictures were leaked out on the web. Then he told me what was mentioned above. So time will tell.

Unread 03/25/2012, 11:04 PM   #105
Andrew17030
Moved On

There is something fishy with this thread.

Andrew17030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2012, 11:14 PM   #106
Frick
AZ FRAG President

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklypre View Post
I thank you, I leave tonight a satisfied believer in these forums again. Definately looks like what I was wanting to know and I don't think anyone at Kessil would mind a little peek. That is a nice tank by the way, any SPS in there??
As a matter of fact they do mind. We should be grateful Kessil is producing such a great product for our small hobby of hobbies. We don't need anymore Joes to change their minds about that. I hope the folks at Kessil can look past this when it is time to consider an upcoming product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Those of use who knew about the A350 were told not to disseminate information until Kessil officially announced it. This was out of respect for both Kessil and all those involved with the product.
+1,000

Unread 03/26/2012, 01:26 AM   #107
franklypre
Registered Member

I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone, I honestly figured in today's world of marketing sneak peaks were the rage. We have sights devoted to the release of new products and info so I would think threads devoted to the thoughts of the newest piece of equipment would be appreciated. This thread was dead until Joe posted, if that truly bothers the company that much why not have this entire thread deleted.

franklypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 02:15 AM   #108
daveonbass
Registered Member

Well...mainly because the company doesn't control the website/forum...but thats just a guess. :P

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
daveonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 10:37 AM   #109
franklypre
Registered Member

If they really wanted this to be gone it would be. Atleast the pics would be deleted, they only gave out so many and it's not hard to figure out who has a 90 w/nems and 2 of these, not to mention they got the unit #. After thinking long and hard about it I really would like to hear from Kessil on the subject and may take to Facebook. Not to ? anyones connections/rights but I would like to hear Kessils official opinion on leaks and this new light, this is a hobby not National Defense. If a company that bases it's market on high quality light for indoor hydroponics is offended we got a sneak peak at a new product and refuses to do business with the entire industry I would have to say that is just un American, not to mention the $$$ that would be lost. Thanks for putting a bad taste in my mouth about a product I have yet to hold or see, by speaking on the companies behalf you have left a bad first impression on me.

Unread 03/26/2012, 11:56 AM   #110
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew17030 View Post
There is something fishy with this thread.
Being the OP of this thread, I didn't mean for it to turn into a he said/she said. This all started by me speaking with someone at "That Fish Place" in Lancaster, PA over the phone about the A150 being able to support SPS in a shallow tank. When he informed me that it would be a stretch for that light to accomplish what I needed, he mentioned that the A350 was in the works and was "rumored" to equal between 300 - 350 watt 20k halide (Radium) numbers. If that is true, those are good parameters to keep SPS. How he knew of the A350, I have no idea.

After digging a little more, I found a couple of videos on the Kessil website regarding the H350 (horticulture application) working well enough for them to part with their high electric consumption sodium and halide bulbs. After shooting off an e-mail to Kessil regarding a release date for the rumored A350, I got a response a week later that left me wondering if this was ever going to happen. In essence, it stated that "IF" an A350 product was to be released, it would probably be in the first half of this year, and that the best way to learn more about new Kessil products and launch dates is to visit their Facebook page. I haven't done this, as I've decided to stick with my halides until something proven and affordable will peak my interest enough to make the switch.

Anyone who has different information than this would be news to me, as it appears that if something is in the works or ready for launch, they're keeping it close to the vest and not releasing any information. If someone on this board is under agreement with Kessil as a product tester, you probably shouldn't be posting since it's most likely proprietary and against your agreement unless authorized by Kessil. I don't work for Kessil, nor do I know anyone that is testing the "supposed" A350 product. Why a company would keep such an anticipated product so secret is beyond me. If there is such a product being launched, IMHO it would benefit Kessil tremendously to let us know when we could be waiting to hear about it. While they're keeping it all a secret, many potential customers are buying other competitors' products because of lack of information on Kessil's part.

Just my .02

Current Tank Info: Currently in reboot mode
Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 12:08 PM   #111
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
If they really wanted this to be gone it would be. Atleast the pics would be deleted, they only gave out so many and it's not hard to figure out who has a 90 w/nems and 2 of these, not to mention they got the unit #. After thinking long and hard about it I really would like to hear from Kessil on the subject and may take to Facebook. Not to ? anyones connections/rights but I would like to hear Kessils official opinion on leaks and this new light, this is a hobby not National Defense. If a company that bases it's market on high quality light for indoor hydroponics is offended we got a sneak peak at a new product and refuses to do business with the entire industry I would have to say that is just un American, not to mention the $$$ that would be lost. Thanks for putting a bad taste in my mouth about a product I have yet to hold or see, by speaking on the companies behalf you have left a bad first impression on me.
What he said. ^^

Product info gets leaked all of the time. If a company takes the time and money to develop a light for the reef industry, it isn't going to throw it all away because a picture got leaked earlier than it wanted. Especially with the interest the picture has drawn.

Unread 03/26/2012, 01:08 PM   #112
Frick
AZ FRAG President

Quote:
Why would you think the pics could just be deleted? They are not a sponsor nor do they own or associate with RC. "UnAmerican"? They are a world wide company, so is this forum. And last, I didn't put anything in your mouth, i am just posting what i know and believe. You can do with it what you'd like.

Unread 03/26/2012, 01:23 PM   #113
bmhair03
Registered Member

Doesn't the company get to choice the release date?
Anyone have any patience anymore?
Good things come to those who wait.
Kessil will deliever.

bmhair03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 03:35 PM   #114
franklypre
Registered Member

The way it sounded you were speaking as a person who had ties to Kessil and an idea of the companies beliefs. It could be just my mistake or the way you worded it, but when I get a look(which is all we really got) at something I'm considering purchasing I get excited. This thread would have been a great piece of advertising if it had not gotten negative, if anyone that is associated with Kessil is reading this and would give us an official "anything" some time soon that would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 03/26/2012, 04:44 PM   #115
bmhair03
Registered Member

Quote:
The way it sounded you were speaking as a person who had ties to Kessil and an idea of the companies beliefs. .
No.
Does Apple release a product when a line forms at the Apple store?
No ,The line forms after a product is released.

I just have patience and would rather a company take its time to deliver a Top product then rush it out just to compete with a rival.
That's just me. I do not work for Kessil just support my local companies.

Unread 03/26/2012, 05:30 PM   #116
franklypre
Registered Member

This is directly from Kessil on FB:

Kessil: Thank you very much for all your comments. We understand the excitement about our new Tuna Blue light. We are extremely excited about it as well. The best part is, the long wait will be over and the official product announcement is going to take place in April. Stay tuned. http://www.kessil.com/​products/​tun...aqua_light.php
(Note: The post on RC is not from our staff.)

Unread 03/26/2012, 05:31 PM   #117
franklypre
Registered Member

This makes me very happy, thank you Kessil.

Unread 03/26/2012, 06:00 PM   #118
Japsican
Beans&Rice

Cant wait. I hope it's what I'm looking for!

Japsican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 06:22 PM   #119
Mr.Mustang
Registered Member

Oh Happy Day.

Mr.Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 06:45 PM   #120
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhair03 View Post
No.
Does Apple release a product when a line forms at the Apple store?
No ,The line forms after a product is released.

I just have patience and would rather a company take its time to deliver a Top product then rush it out just to compete with a rival.
That's just me. I do not work for Kessil just support my local companies.
The point is not that we want to buy it before its released or that we want it released before its been manufactured and tested, its that Kessil would not/should not take it out on the consumer because a product picture got leaked before the product. And as far as Apple goes, there are tons of websites out there leaking photos of the next big product. Apple does its best to control the info (better than most companies actually), but it manages just fine despite the leaks. Kessil will as well. Just look at the excitement that leaked photo has generated.

Unread 03/26/2012, 08:23 PM   #121
reefmutt
Registered Member

man, i don't know what the fuss is about. i knew nothing about Kessil a week ago and have been seriously debating the merits of led lighting altogether, but after catching this thread, I'm so excited about the 350, i want to design a whole tank around a few!
this the best advertising they will ever get!
I'm practically sold on them.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 08:59 PM   #122
madean
Registered Member

wow.... this is just rediculous. Its experiences like this that really makes me not want to participate in these forums. I for one was excited to hear "some" news, whether it be hearsay or not, and thought I would share it since it was good news to share. I guess next time I hear something I will just keep it to myself

Unread 03/27/2012, 11:35 AM   #123
bmhair03
Registered Member

And it seems some hostility towards the OP for not delivering what info people wanted.
I agree with last post.

Unread 03/27/2012, 12:40 PM   #124
franklypre
Registered Member

Some folks just cast a negative light on what should be positive situation. We did manage to get a few pics and a general idea of what is to come, not to mention an "official release date". Not to bad for a simple thread IMO, if you can't look over the negative comments to get to the good ones I would suggest a new method for your research/enjoyment. Not trying to be mean but these thread get that way some times unfortunately. I'm still excited about this light, and nobody is gonna put a damper on that now.

Unread 03/27/2012, 12:42 PM   #125
Japsican
Beans&Rice

+1.

Less crying. More light discussion.

I'm excited to see what this light has to offer.

Japsican is offline   Reply With Quote