Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2012, 09:51 AM   #1
CaribSands
Registered Member

Nassarius in new tank

I've had my 75g set up for about 4 weeks, 3 weeks since LS/LR, and I seem to be pretty well cycled and into algae bloom. No livestock other than some shrooms I got along with the LR. All of my LR was from the LFS and fairly well cured. My sand bed is 2-5" deep (sloped up toward the back) and it's 130lb aragonite, 40lb live sand (from LFS)

Yesterday I got 5 Nassarius and 4 Astrea. I'm not worried about the Astrea since they should have plenty of algae to eat, but will the Nassarius have enough to eat with just the LR/LS? I probably won't add fish (and start feeding) for at least a couple of weeks, maybe more. Is there a point where I need to start feeding the Nassarius?

CaribSands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 09:55 AM   #2
gmate
MASC Member

They'll be fine, snails are extremely hardy. Sometimes I think my CUC could survive the nuclear holocaust.

gmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 10:10 AM   #3
wonderz
Registered Member

I would keep an eye on the Astrea since they can flip over. And if a hungry Nassarius is in the area, they might go after it.

wonderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Drop some sinking pellet Formula One in there. The snails will eat that. Good for bottom feeders and sandsifters, too.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 02:38 PM   #5
HaKs310
Forever Learning

Ditto.

Drop some pellets in there every couple of days, they will eat it right up. Feeding will also introduce some nitrogen to keep the beneficial bacteria growing.

HaKs310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Typo R
Registered Member

A sunken piece of shrimp every now and then would also work well.

Typo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 06:53 AM   #7
cordell
Registered Member

Drop the pellets in and wait about 15 seconds for a pretty cool show! Those nassarius will pop up out of the sand so fast, and they will tangle up with one another to get a piece of food! One of them ultimately wins and the others move on looking for more food. Sometimes, mine come almost all the way out of the shell trying to get the food! Very entertaining...

cordell is offline   Reply With Quote