Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2008, 05:27 PM   #1
goodtimes2
Registered Member

Macroalgie choices?

I am setting up a 28 gallon cube with T -5 lights and a large fuge, I like to hear what are your favorite macroalgie and why. I am planning to use a few large tonga rock pieces with some GPS and a few acan coral. I am using sugar size aragonite and like to have a wide variety of colorful macroalgie growing in the tank. Thanks PS if you have a good choice to buy macroalgie , let me know.

goodtimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2008, 10:16 PM   #2
pledosophy
Registered Member

I like the dragon's tongue myself, but do also really enjoy the ochotodes. Since the Sargassum has taken off recently I am a fan of that as well.

Here is the dragon's tongue.

This was my tank a few weeks ago,

Unread 11/29/2008, 11:16 PM   #3
goodtimes2
Registered Member

What is the purple growth on the left side of your tank? I noticed you live in Orange County, what is the best local LFS that you get your macroalgie? Dragon tongue looks great as well. I want to add as much color possible. How fast does your macroalgie grow? Also what lights are you using? Thanks in advance for the info?

Unread 11/29/2008, 11:45 PM   #4
pledosophy
Registered Member

The purple stuff is ochotodes, it's more bluish in person.

I moved away from the O.C. a few years ago. Reefcleaners.org is a pretty good place for a large variety of macro.

Different species of macro grow at different paces. They all seem to go through spurts. Since I removed all the chaeto i my 25g refugium, the sargassum has really taken off. The fern used to be the fast grower, but for now is hardly growing at all. I pruin my tank pretty often.

I use a 150w HQI on my display and use a CF bulb to grow out macro for sale in my refugium.

JME

Unread 12/02/2008, 06:50 PM   #5
GPCRalph
Registered Member

Hey pledosophy,

That's a really nice macroalgae tank. I'm working to set one up right now. What spectrum bulbs are you using? Are you dosing any supplements for the algae?
Thanks,

Rafael

GPCRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2008, 12:23 AM   #6
goodtimes2
Registered Member

Pledosophy

Check your PM

Thanks

Greg

Unread 12/04/2008, 11:59 PM   #7
pledosophy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPCRalph
Hey pledosophy,

That's a really nice macroalgae tank. I'm working to set one up right now. What spectrum bulbs are you using? Are you dosing any supplements for the algae?
Thanks,

Rafael
I'm using a 14k 150w HQI on that tank. Love it. Now supplemental actinics, which I kinda want to add. Not for the extra light really but just for a nice softer blue to watch the tank as I fall asleep. That tank is three feet from my pillow.

Currently I am not dosing anything for the macro specifically. I just add mysis for the seahorse. I did have a lack of nutrient problem until I pulled the basketball size + piece of cheato out of the refugium. Since then the macro is growing better. I am looking into phosphate and nitrate fertalizers, but have been reading that the alagae prefer ammonia, not really wanting to add that to the tank. I am thinking of adding some more corals to the 25g tank below that require heavy feeding so I can grow out coral and feed the macro at the same time. Time will tell how crazy I get.

Quote:
Pledosophy

Check your PM

Thanks

Greg
My bad friend. YGPM Thanks for the reminder.

pledosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2008, 06:34 AM   #8
ducklabdad
Registered Member

Any good on-line sources for Sargassum and Dragons tongue, I currently have codium and chaelerpa, but would like some of those two at least to add some color and additional macro algaes.

Sorry did not mean to hijack your thread just along the same lines.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon reef ("growing daily"). 5.5 gallon El Salvador Pico, 30 sea horse under way!!
ducklabdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2008, 08:58 AM   #9
goodtimes2
Registered Member

Check out Reef Cleaners website, it appears to have the widest range of macro algaes, although at this time they are out of stock of a few items.

Maybe down the road we can swap out a few between us.

Unread 12/07/2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Mikeeee
Registered Member

Finally a picture of your tank pledosophy . Looks real nice! i hope my 90g turns out to look like that soon! I like that purple stuff you got on bottom left is that Gracilaria?

I got some of that dragon's tongue but it slowly starting to turn light red also my feather calupera that i got was doing well at first and finally rooted but now i notice lots of it has turned white and same goes with grape calupera..the grape calupera is still doing pretty good and has rooted into the sand but not sure about the feather calupera.

What are your tank specs? my tank has been setup for about 4 weeks now i think.. i have 2 clowns in it and a coral beauty that i used to test the water.. normally i dont do that but my brother shut down his tank because he wants to redo it so i put them in there. They are all doing great..no problems at all i even had a rock with 3 anemones on there which i thought had no chance of survival in there but they are actually getting their bubbles back now..when before in my brothers tank that had none. These all of course will be taken out once im ready for seahorses but im just curious to why my marco algae is starting to die back now. I am a newbie with macro algae and your tank is a real inspiration..so i need all the help i can get .

Mikeeee is offline   Reply With Quote