Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2020, 07:08 AM   #1
Mord3004
Registered Member

Logo receding at night

Hi Guys,

Normally don't post on here but I'm in need of a bit of help. I enjoy lps with lobophylia being one of my favorite.

My problem is during the day the corals do extend but ad soon as the lights go out at night it recedes so badly it looks like it's going to tear through the flesh

Its a recent occurrence with the following tank parameters

Temp. 25
Ph 7.93- 8.02
No3 10
Alk 10.2
Mag unsure
Cal 510

Could the high no3 be the problem??

Thanks in advance

Mord3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2020, 09:29 PM   #2
kfisc
Registered Member

While your water chemistry might need work (good to get a mag test), it's not unusual for them to react to light shifts. If you come back several hours later in total darkness with a flashlight, I'm curious if you see it somewhat expanded again with tentacles extended.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2020, 09:42 PM   #3
djryan2000
Registered Member

Logo receding at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisc View Post
While your water chemistry might need work (good to get a mag test), it's not unusual for them to react to light shifts. If you come back several hours later in total darkness with a flashlight, I'm curious if you see it somewhat expanded again with tentacles extended.

Is it not normal for polyps to recede in corals overnight? Most of my corals, especially my digitatas, stylos, and zoas, retract their polyps at night and are open within an hour of the lights coming on.

I’ve yet to find any evidence of pests which was my first thought before I assumed it was normal.

Edit: photos to show what I mean

This is what my tank looks like every night.

Last edited by djryan2000; 10/14/2020 at 10:37 PM.
djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2020, 12:55 AM   #4
Mord3004
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisc View Post
WAter chemistry needs work could you provide some pointers? is NO3 the problem?

Yes , 2 hours later its up again, so weird.

Mord3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2020, 12:23 PM   #5
kfisc
Registered Member

If your readings are in parts per million, the nitrate is not terrible, nor are the other readings, but the Mag is useful to know as it can give an indication of how well your corals can process and use the water chemistry. I like Salifert kits.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote