Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2007, 09:14 AM   #76
IeatFish
Moved On

ya, i agree

IeatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2007, 10:35 PM   #77
jfish298
Registered Member

Thanks for the great advice

jfish298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2007, 03:06 PM   #78
imsocool5609
Registered Member

I think that is easiest to just pour cyanide in to catch them.

imsocool5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2007, 04:27 PM   #79
AquaJern
Moved On

Very Informative

Ill have to try that when I upgrade my tank!!!
Also Im glad you mentioned the cons to netting a maroon clown I was getting ready to purchase a pair and that information will help....

AquaJern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 09:52 PM   #80
mst3kguy07
Registered Member

Grab one of those plastic containers and put the plastic container next to the fish he will be safely sucked in to the container and flip over the container!

Or you can put his anenome in the container and see if the clown will folloow him in and see if this works!

Current Tank Info: I have a blue box, purple tang, huge red coris wrasse, 2 green chromis, pajama cardinal, carpenters flasher wrasse, Hawaian Potters angel, One spot foxfish, and gold band marron clownfish. I just re-aquascaped and now i am working on coral!
mst3kguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2007, 08:18 AM   #81
JMartin
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I tried for hours to catch the tomato clown with no success.

JMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2008, 12:21 PM   #82
reef211
Registered Member

Sup reefer,

Here is my story on my GSM, I have him for about 2 years now and he love his RBTA, this sucker is giving me a heart attach for months now, I try every method in here and still no luck. Every days i have to restack my rocks work and restack all my sps frags because he push everything on to the sand floor. I have 120 gallons and 150 pound of LR, man it is a headache trying to fish this guy out. Well, i will try and try until i get him out.

Click on the little house to see my tank build thread.

Current Tank Info: 10 years,120 gals RR with 2 EcoTech Radion XR30w G3 led lights supplement with 2 48" T5, Eshopps ADV-300 sump. Red Sea Reefer 170 with EcoTech Marine Radion XR15w G3 Pro LED Light Fixture Fish, Softies, LPS, and SPS
reef211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2008, 05:41 PM   #83
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

i just put floating food in and then swipe when they come to the surface... I always get them on the first try... very tame

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2008, 08:25 PM   #84
redline
Registered Member

i never have any trouble either with them coming to the surface

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2008, 12:58 PM   #85
Integral9
Registered Member

Mine will bite the crap out of me, my wife, or anything or anyone that comes w/ in 12" of their anemone. Catching them isn't the problem, it's keeping them away from me that is. It doesn't hurt, but it does pinch a little.

btw. Tomatos are probably the most aggressive of the clowns imo. If he runs away when you go after him in his anemone (he's a loser clown, he should be protecting his anemone... j/k), you'll need a fish trap or food in a bucket or use a water bottle with lots of small holes in the bottom and the top cut off. Put some food in the bottom and when he swims inside pick him up.

Integral9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2008, 10:38 PM   #86
Reef-LeGeNd
Moved On

my picassos come up to my hand. If you cant catch a clown, then quit.

Reef-LeGeNd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2008, 07:20 AM   #87
mat167
Registered Member

It's kind of an old thread, but I read through and didn't see anyone mention this. If you are stuck and have to use a net, I suggest two things.

1. Use the biggest net possible (within reason of course). I use a 12 inch wide net to catch a 3 inch fish. Obviously this makes it easier to catch the fish, but more importantly this also makes it easier for number 2.

2. Don't take the fish out of water while it's still in the net. ESPECIALLY if it is a surgeon or maroon clown or anything with bony appendages. They will get caught in the net. Instead, bring the net to the surface and use a specimen container to remove the fish from the net while still under water.

This has worked miracles for me at the store where I work, especially for maroons and lots of FW fish like pictus cats and shovelnose cats.

mat167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2008, 12:35 AM   #88
kes_reef
Premium Member

I used to put large mysis shrimps in the net and hold it in the tank. Initially, fish will run away from it but little by little, hunger will get to them, and by 1 week, half of the fish are in the net eating. By the 2nd week, all fish should readily come in the net. This obviously takes lots of patience but it worked for me.

The better way is to just simply use a trap. After awhile, few fish will go in and then the rest will eventually follow.

kes_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2008, 11:30 PM   #89
Proxissin
Registered Member

I cant beleive all you people are soo lucky. I have a bastard of a gold stripe maroon clown. I have a 92 gallon corner sps lps mix reef tank. Any new coral i put in my tank my clownfish will pick it up and toss it, he does that for a while until i epoxy it in place then he calms down. I want him gone! I have tried every trick in the book from clear containers and bags to nightime netting and fish traps! Nothing has worked. he is very skiddish around me and anything wierd and unnatural looking in the tank, he will hide in the rocks in two seconds. does anyone have any more suggestions? There is absolutely no way im unrocking my tank i have over 40 pieces of coral and 25 fish.

Proxissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2008, 09:59 PM   #90
dzb912
Registered Member

nice nice nice

Unread 06/11/2008, 12:42 AM   #91
KorL
Registered Member.

Catching clownfish at night works well for me. Mine usually sleep near surface.

KorL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2008, 04:41 PM   #92
candeewolf
Registered Member

So, if there is copper in the water with the clownfish (either from QT or LFS), how do I transfer a maroon or other clownfish to the tank without a net and without getting copper in the reef tank?

candeewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2008, 06:51 PM   #93
DTeuton
Registered Member

I have 2 tomatoe clowns fish, my are the same way ,I will never get any more like them ,I just want them out of my tank ,they want let any one eat

DTeuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2008, 06:20 PM   #94
Titus77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DTeuton
I have 2 tomatoe clowns fish, my are the same way ,I will never get any more like them ,I just want them out of my tank ,they want let any one eat

I am taking donations...just PM me...

Titus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2008, 10:29 AM   #95
nightime
Registered Member

good luck

nightime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2008, 08:34 PM   #96
djchristone
Registered Member

this is a good thread thanks for the tips

djchristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2008, 12:30 AM   #97
Sculp1n
Registered Member

I didn't read the whole thread but I had two tomato clowns that were the terrors of my 235 and after they took a chunk out of my Harlequin Shrimp it was time for them to go. I tried everything but came to the conclusion I had to do it the way I've been catching fish for years.

I bought a super small hook (size 18) from a fly fishing store, removed the barb, used 4 lb line, baited the hook, and Bam! with in a few minutes I had both clowns in my sump. No permanent damage and I sold them about a week later.

Hope that helps.

Sculpin

Current Tank Info: 235 Gallon and 29 BC
Sculp1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2008, 08:08 AM   #98
norgemorir
Registered Member

What did you use for bait? small silverside perhaps?

I'm considering going down the same route. My GSM feels like it's his job to bury corals in sand and terrorizes just about everyone. After trying the trap and net approach, he won't give my any opportunity to catch him otherwise.

norgemorir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 04:28 PM   #99
fmuakkassa
Registered Member

Great thread. I need to catch an aggressive marron clownfish but it sleeps at night under the rocks. Any other ideas when you have a 180g reef aquarium with plenty of hiding places?

fmuakkassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 04:38 PM   #100
norgemorir
Registered Member

I eventually got mine out with the 3day wait on food and trap method.. I cut the top off of a 1 litre water bottle, cut 2 holes and put fishing line through it, put some food in dropped it down in front of his normal stomping grounds.. took a long time (20min) and 2 tries to catch him but hunger and his bullying won out. had issues with hermits getting into the trap too, but it eventually worked.

good luck

norgemorir is offline   Reply With Quote