Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2016, 10:53 PM   #1
vlangel
Registered Member

Video of dinner time

https://youtu.be/r0MVpsefvCs

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2016, 01:04 PM   #2
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

I never really had a "show" aquarium when I was breeding horses but your tank makes me jealous. Love the colors and the seahorses and pipe.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2016, 03:55 PM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 View Post
I never really had a "show" aquarium when I was breeding horses but your tank makes me jealous. Love the colors and the seahorses and pipe.
Thanks BlueCat. Thats very kind of you to refer to my tank as a "show" aquarium. After having raised fry last winter if I were breeding seahorses, I would not be wasting energy keeping up a show tank either. I only raised 15 out of 22 to adulthood but it was extremely labor intensive. After that experience as rewarding as it was, has me now giving away my newborn fry, ha ha!

Unread 01/11/2016, 06:48 PM   #4
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Thanks BlueCat. Thats very kind of you to refer to my tank as a "show" aquarium. After having raised fry last winter if I were breeding seahorses, I would not be wasting energy keeping up a show tank either. I only raised 15 out of 22 to adulthood but it was extremely labor intensive. After that experience as rewarding as it was, has me now giving away my newborn fry, ha ha!
Well your tank is a show piece for sure. If you raised 15 out 22 that is actually a very good percentage. I had 21 bare bottom tanks when I was breeding and zero time to deal with anything but seahorses.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 03:18 PM   #5
btreyes
Registered Member

your tank is gorgeous! The corals and macros look very healthy. You might want to consider getting a higher kelvin light like an adjustable AI LED... all of my corals turned much brighter colors and subsequently my seahorses changed brighter colors too.

btreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 07:32 PM   #6
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btreyes View Post
your tank is gorgeous! The corals and macros look very healthy. You might want to consider getting a higher kelvin light like an adjustable AI LED... all of my corals turned much brighter colors and subsequently my seahorses changed brighter colors too.
Thanks for the kind words. I doubt any new light fixtures are in the budget but that is good info to know. Maybe I could get a higher kelvin bulb or 2.

Unread 01/12/2016, 11:04 PM   #7
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btreyes View Post
I would be curious as to whether actually turned brighter or whether they appeared much brighter.
I can put a certain shirt on and it looks one way under incandescent lights, but when I go to the kitchen where I have 6500K fluorescent lights, it appears a might brighter slightly different colour. The shirt didn't change colour, only my, and others perception of a change.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 04:24 PM   #8
btreyes
Registered Member

corals and macros turn brighter, especially certain macros such as flame algae that will get more orange tips or blue occhtodes becoming more neon purple/blue after they've been growing for a few weeks in the higher kelvin lighting. With corals, different clades and amounts of zooxanthellae change with different lighting and other environmental conditions that show different accessory pigments, which also respond to higher kelvin lighting. Lots of times I would buy what looked like drab-colored corals and after a couple of weeks under high kelvin lighting they would become much brighter colors, even at the middle of the day cycle when the lighting coloration would be appear lower kelvin and majority white lighting. I really noticed a change in coral and macro colors when I started having prolonged sunrise/sunset cycles with the high kelvin lighting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1453929027675.jpg (94.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1453929054415.jpg (91.9 KB, 19 views)
btreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 07:16 PM   #9
rayjay
Registered Member

Thanks for letting me know.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote