Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 04:07 AM   #1
Cobrace
Registered Member

Permanent pH monitoring

Is there a cost effective way of permanently monitoring pH, perhaps with an app to look at trends etc without having to spent £800 on a aquarium controller?

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

Cobrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:14 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Sure..
However.. are you doing it for a calcium reactor?
If not the faster that you realize that PH monitoring is a waste of time/effort the better off you are..
I'd focus on alkalinity over PH..

Too many try to adjust/maintain a set ph level and just fail.. Let it be what its going to be..

Unread 02/09/2018, 08:18 AM   #3
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrace View Post
Is there a cost effective way of permanently monitoring pH, perhaps with an app to look at trends etc without having to spent £800 on a aquarium controller?

You could check out the Seneye Reef. It monitors pH (although I agree not that important), temp, and ammonia. I love the ammonia monitoring, even though not something we test for regularly in an established system -- if something goes wrong (maybe something dies) and ammonia starts to rise I'll get a warning. That could very well help avoid a crash someday. Gives me peace of mind, especially when out of town. In addition, it has a built in PAR meter which BulkReefSupply tested and reviewed very favorably. Cost is about $200 US, about 400 with WiFi web server.

Unread 02/09/2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Cobrace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
You could check out the Seneye Reef. It monitors pH (although I agree not that important), temp, and ammonia. I love the ammonia monitoring, even though not something we test for regularly in an established system -- if something goes wrong (maybe something dies) and ammonia starts to rise I'll get a warning. That could very well help avoid a crash someday. Gives me peace of mind, especially when out of town. In addition, it has a built in PAR meter which BulkReefSupply tested and reviewed very favorably. Cost is about $200 US, about 400 with WiFi web server.
I think I'm getting caught up in thinking that I need to permanently monitor my pH, probably no reason to. I have looked at the seneye, does it alert you via email etc to high temps, low water?

Unread 02/09/2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Cobrace
Registered Member

Quote:
I think I'm getting caught up in thinking that I need to permanently monitor my pH, probably no reason to. I have looked at the seneye, does it alert you via email etc to high temps, low water?

I'll be running my cheato reactor on reverse lighting so that should hopefully balance out/reduce the pH swing at night.

Unread 02/09/2018, 09:08 AM   #6
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:

Yes, alert via email/text if pH, temp, or ammonia go out of range. Also alerts if sensor is out of water. Personally, I care more about the temp and ammonia, but it is nice to see the graph of pH over time. In addition, it's a great light meter even if I didn't use it for anything else!

Unread 02/09/2018, 01:02 PM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member

I think it would be continuous or real-time pH monitoring. Permanent pH monitoring sounds like an indestructible pH probe.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote