Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2018, 11:43 AM   #1
dingodan87
Registered Member

Automatic tubastrea feeding?

I have a few tubastrea and dendro colonies which i manually feed almost every night with meaty foods. I know thats the best way yo keep them healthy... But ill be going on vacation for 2 weeks soon and dont have anyone to feed them while im gone. I have a diy refridgerated auto doser, spare dosing pumps, dry food auto doser... but to my knowledge tubstrea cant really be fed by broadcast feeding powdered or liquid foods. Ive even tried broadcast feeding pe calanus and notice very few polyps actually catch anything though I have strong alternating flow across all colonies. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

dingodan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Maybe you can run the tubing of the doser really close to the colonies. That way it will squirt food on to the corals. If there are multiple, distantly placed colonies, maybe you can split the tube into multiple lines using something like a tee connector.

It wont be as effective as manual feeding, but hopefully they will get more food than regular broadcast feeding.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:11 PM   #3
dingodan87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Maybe you can run the tubing of the doser really close to the colonies. That way it will squirt food on to the corals. If there are multiple, distantly placed colonies, maybe you can split the tube into multiple lines using something like a tee connector.

It wont be as effective as manual feeding, but hopefully they will get more food than regular broadcast feeding.
What could i feed with the doser? All the foods i feed them with currently would likely clog the tubing

Unread 02/19/2018, 11:03 PM   #4
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodan87 View Post
What could i feed with the doser? All the foods i feed them with currently would likely clog the tubing

Do they eat copepod? If so you can try nyos goldpods or another type of small food suspension from reef nutrition.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 03:52 PM   #5
dingodan87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Do they eat copepod? If so you can try nyos goldpods or another type of small food suspension from reef nutrition.
Thanks ill test it out