Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2016, 08:29 AM   #1
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Tank temperature question/feedback wanted.

Hi,
I am in the process if setting up my old 65g tank as a planned seahorse tank for 2 pairs of erectus. I spent the better part of my day yesterday cleaning and replumbing the tank with PVC which was quite a challenge since I had used vinyl tubing prior.

But back to topic, I am currently leak testing the tank with an older but in good condition marineland return pump as the only thing running in the tank. What concerns me is that the tank temperature is running right at 72 deg F. This is without my lights (leds) and my skimmer pump running. It is really hot in new Jersey right now but my tank is in the basement of an air conditioned house which is 71 degrees. I am assuming that I will pick up another couple degrees of temperature once everything else is running. I was really hoping to avoid using a chiller as my electric bill is scary high already. I have a fan that I can blow across the water surface but not sure how many degrees of cooling that will get me and not sure how big the evaporation impact will be.

So does anyone have any input as to how they are keeping there tanks cooler in the summer? Do you think I will be able to avoid a chiller? The tank won't be ready for horses until sometime this fall but I would like to avoid ongoing temperature issues if possible. I want to do right by my horses so I will do what I have to in the end.
Thanks.

SaltyMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 10:59 AM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

A fan blowing across the surface can cool a tank as much as 3 degrees. I used one for my tank when my old chiller konked out last summer and it kept it below 74° which is what most of us shoot for with erectus. My tank has a mag drive as a return pump and I have T5 lighting both which give off some heat. You will have a lot of evaporation however so maybe an ATO should be considered.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 07:13 PM   #3
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Thanks vlangel, that is exactly the type of information I was looking for..."a fan blowing across the surface can cool a tank as much as 3 degrees". I am going to run the tank with my lights and skimmer going and see what temp I get over the next couple of days. Then run it with the fan as a test.

Unread 08/15/2016, 07:29 PM   #4
fcmatt
Registered Member

One does not need much flow through a sump. Use a smaller efficient return pump. Say 500 to 600 gph.

fcmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 07:56 PM   #5
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmatt View Post
One does not need much flow through a sump. Use a smaller efficient return pump. Say 500 to 600 gph.
Thank for your input. My current pump is rated for 775 gph at 58 watts and with my head loss I calculate I am running about 400 gph through the sump. I did want a little extra pressure if needed to supply a gate valve in case I wanted to run a reactor off it. But overall, I am not running a crazy wattage pump.

Unread 09/26/2016, 12:06 PM   #6
pledosophy
Registered Member

58w for a return pump these days is a lot, my pump runs 9w and puts out similiar flow.

I would highly recommend getting a chiller if you do not have central air in your home. Cool the room, or cool the tank.

It's not like 74F is perfect and 75 is kinda alright. The difference in the bacteria at that border line are 74F chilling not causing trouble 75F change in protein structure can double itself in 20 minutes, every 20 minutes.

All that sad back before we knew anything I was running a Reidi system at 82F and that seahorse lived for 8 years. I was also doing twice weekly 30g water changes on his 44g and later 65g tank and feeding only live foods. . .

Hope that helps ya.

Unread 09/26/2016, 01:39 PM   #7
nutbar29
Registered Member

I live in Texas and I keep my central air at 70 and with everything running on my seahorse tank it's at 71 degrees I don't use a fan to cool it or a chiller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nutbar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 06:34 PM   #8
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

If your tank is in the basement do you spend a lot of time down there? I was wondering because it is always best to keep an eye on things with seahorses. Plus I always like to be around to enjoy the ponies.

The temp control with a fan added will probably be fine and you probably will only need the fan in the summer months so you can save on the electric bill.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the tank size and species you have chosen. Good luck and keep posting as you go.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 08:45 PM   #9
SaltyMember
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to update, the tank is fully cycled and has been running at a steady 72 degrees using my Reefkeeper controller and fan. The fan cycles on fairly frequently but it is starting to get cooler now so it should start to decrease.

I have added some macro algae, small clean-up crew of snails and 2 peppermint shrimp.

Oh, and BlueCat, I am always in my Man Cave, I mean basement/fishroom so I will keep a close eye on things.

Unread 09/28/2016, 08:27 AM   #10
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMember View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to update, the tank is fully cycled and has been running at a steady 72 degrees using my Reefkeeper controller and fan. The fan cycles on fairly frequently but it is starting to get cooler now so it should start to decrease.

I have added some macro algae, small clean-up crew of snails and 2 peppermint shrimp.

Oh, and BlueCat, I am always in my Man Cave, I mean basement/fishroom so I will keep a close eye on things.
In California people don't have basements so I was wondering.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote