Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2016, 11:16 AM   #4001
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Update from post 3695 and 3700

I continue to be "Dino free" since April 2016. Im still running UV during the night and dare not to stop that trend even though I have not seen a string in a very long time. I've slowly added 20 SPS frags since May and all are growing very nicely. Some already small colonies.

After a long battle of 7 months with these Dinos I am finally enjoying my tank to the fullest. I belive my year and a half reef is finally out of the ugliest.
My approach I did to beat them is in the 3695 post. I know that no one Dinos method works for all or even 2 for that matter.

I wanted to share my update sine I was encouraged myself when fellow reefers posted positive results. In hindsight I wish I would have taken more full tank pictures when the Dios was at its worst. Since this one was just the tip of the iceberg.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Fish Keeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 12:27 PM   #4002
jason2459
Registered Member

Dinoflagelets of a good kind

From my xenia
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...php?p=24772319

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2016, 01:57 PM   #4003
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Keeper82 View Post

I continue to be "Dino free" since April 2016.
It's good to see a success story on eliminating dinoflagellates. Thanks for the update!

Unread 10/14/2016, 02:22 AM   #4004
enb141
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Keeper82 View Post

I continue to be "Dino free" since April 2016. Im still running UV during the night and dare not to stop that trend even though I have not seen a string in a very long time. I've slowly added 20 SPS frags since May and all are growing very nicely. Some already small colonies.

After a long battle of 7 months with these Dinos I am finally enjoying my tank to the fullest. I belive my year and a half reef is finally out of the ugliest.
My approach I did to beat them is in the 3695 post. I know that no one Dinos method works for all or even 2 for that matter.

I wanted to share my update sine I was encouraged myself when fellow reefers posted positive results. In hindsight I wish I would have taken more full tank pictures when the Dios was at its worst. Since this one was just the tip of the iceberg.
Great news.

Do you continue doing the blackouts every week or after some days?

What are your parameters of your tank at this moment?

What food and what's the amount are you using to feed your fish/corals?

Last edited by enb141; 10/14/2016 at 02:58 AM.
enb141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2016, 03:08 AM   #4005
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post
Great news.

Do you continue doing the blackouts every week or after some days?

What are your parameters of your tank at this moment?
I have not done a blackout since early June. I'm dosing 2 part Alk and Cal at a rate of 45ml a day to keep me at my 9.1 dkH target. I'm also doing about 15 percent water changes every 2 weeks.

Temp 81-83 Apex
PH 7.84 min at night and 8.20 max during day Apex
Alk 9.0 dKH. Red sea
Cal 415 ppm Red sea
MAG 1350 ppm Red sea
Nitrate 10ppm Red sea
Phosphate 0.03 ppm Hanna Checker
Specific gravity 1.026 Refactometer
ORP min 474 max 497 Apex

I don't test or monitor anything else.

Unread 10/14/2016, 03:23 AM   #4006
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb141 View Post
What food and what's the amount are you using to feed your fish/corals?
125 gallon tank. With 1 Blue tang, 2 clowns, 1 chromis, and 3 gobies.

I feed almost exclusively frozen food. I alternate between....

Hikari :Brine shrimp, Mysis, and Squid. I alternate 1 cube of Haikari every day.

Rods food: Pacific Plankton, Original, I alternate between the two and LRS.

LRS reef freenzy

And Nori from the food store

Very minimal instant Ocean Marine chips( like once a week sprinkled in with the frozen) I feel like I need to add this just to supplement and nutrition they might not be getting with just frozen. I don't want to add Selcon for supplementation because it promotes Cyano in MY tank.

I feed one cube of Hikari and about one cube of Rods or LRS a day ( Rod and LRS are flat sheets so I try to break off the equivalent of one cube).
So 2 cubes a day thawed in RODI and strained with Brine shrimp net. Along with 1/4 sheet of nori daily.
It looks like a snow storm at feeding time.

Edit: I also feed BRS reef chili about once evert 3 days. 4 scoops of the BRS provided spoon.

Last edited by Fish Keeper82; 10/14/2016 at 04:01 AM.
Unread 10/14/2016, 03:40 AM   #4007
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

I should add I am about to reduce feeding a bit since I'm up to 10 ppm Nitrate. I aim for 5ppm.

Unread 10/14/2016, 04:31 AM   #4008
enb141
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, for what you are feeding and no more dinos in your tank I can say they are gone.

In my case if I add frozen food or reef roids with coral frenzy dinos start to appear from nowhere in just a few minutes.

Good luck and I hope you never get back this bastards.

enb141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 10:07 AM   #4009
DNA
Registered Member

I'm waiting for divine intervention.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 10:30 AM   #4010
nvladik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
I'm waiting for divine intervention.

As in?

nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 09:41 AM   #4011
ksc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
As in?

Vibrant Reef Aquarium Cleaner 16oz Algae Control

I've seen the owner of this stuff claiming it will beat Dino's. Here's what he claims it contains

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar - This is used as the preservative
3.5% Other Ingredients (RO/DI Water)

Doesn't appear too dangerous to try. I beat my dino's by overdosing live phyto and UV.

ksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 11:19 AM   #4012
africangrey
Registered Member

I also saw that in another forum where Jeff claim it beats different strain of Dinos, not sure about the Ostreo. will order a bottle and see what happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc View Post
Vibrant Reef Aquarium Cleaner 16oz Algae Control

I've seen the owner of this stuff claiming it will beat Dino's. Here's what he claims it contains

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar - This is used as the preservative
3.5% Other Ingredients (RO/DI Water)

Doesn't appear too dangerous to try. I beat my dino's by overdosing live phyto and UV.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2016, 11:48 AM   #4013
ttls1
Registered Member

Just thought I would add my experience with dino's. I had a pretty severe case in my reef for the last 6 months bad enough that 2 hours after siphoning out the dino's it looked like you had done nothing. Sps all began dying and I was seriously considering taking it down and starting over. After reading this thread I decided to try a multi pronged approach. I am very close with my local lfs so I took my fish and corals over to the store and began the treatment. I blacked out the entire tank sump etc dosed hydrogen peroxide daily and ran 200mg of ozone for 10 days. After opening it up there was no sign of dino's so I went and retrieved my fish and coral and everything has been great since just over a month now and 0 sign of dino's. As a side note I missed a crab or two and a couple of snails when transferring the livestock and they all survived as did the sps that was left on the rocks after pulling the colony so I believe this could be done with livestock still in the tank.

ttls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 01:55 PM   #4014
bheron
Registered Member

I've been battling this stuff for 1.5 years now. Discovered the dirty method and it works, but always overdo it and wind up then battling hair algae for an even longer time. Ugh. So I brushed up a bit by reading the last 10 pages dating back to May-ish.

- is this still the main thread? seems like its quieted down. people jump over to that other thread with the new approach (cant remember the name)

- I know the right way is to first determine which type I have. I cant see enough under my sons microscope. Other than buying a scope just for this not sure what else I can do?

- I will say my type, which just started coming back, includes a film on the surface of the water. maybe all dinos do. but that's usually my first sign that its coming back.

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 02:15 PM   #4015
africangrey
Registered Member

vibrant all the way, not a sight of osteo anywhere after 5 doses, 15mL/100gal twice a week. I really had a bad case where every inch of my rocks, backwall and sand bed were covered by this and killed all by acro 1 by 1. No side effect at all, though I only have RBTA, rabbit fish, picasso clown and cleaner shrimp. Sorry don't have any post picture, but this is before.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 05:12 PM   #4016
DNA
Registered Member

I felt it was time to slow the pursuit down after all those years and let others pick up the pace which seems to be happening in the other thread. Anyone got a link?

The situation in my tank has improved drastically over the past few weeks since I've removed all the sand, a third of the rocks and followed up with extensive daily cleaning.

The aim is to figure out the effect that marine snow has on the dino population and how much is being produced. I still need a few weeks, but so far it's been an eye opener.

Unread 11/17/2016, 10:28 PM   #4017
Ostri
Registered Member

Need some help... Identified as Ostreopsis Ovata under miscroscope. How to kill them? I've heard that Dino X doesn't work on them.

Ostri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 10:07 AM   #4018
neiltus
Registered Member

Well guys, latest victim here.

Been looking over this thread for a couple days. I believe to have an Amphidinium outbreak. The photos above were taken this morning when I turned on the lights prior to the evening. The brown stuff on the substrate gets more intense throughout the day, and then fades with lights out. I also note that in the areas where direct light does not hit the substrate there are no noticeable brown patches (although assume it's present). No bubbles, and it's not on the rock.

Tank History
Reefer 350, started in late July with TBS rock and Arag-Alive Special Grade substrate. No fish present, 2 frags, 1 wall hammer, 2 BTN, one pistol shrimp, one peppermint shrimp, and one cleaner shrimp, few turbos, 2 fighting conchs.

Salt to date was HW Marinemix. Recently switched to Red Sea (regular) because it was dirt cheap locally. RO is a 6 stage BRS (2 carbon and 2 DI). Lights are 2 Kessil A360WE, max intensity is 45% and max color is 30%, ramp up over 8 hours. Apex controller, RD3 50w pump, BK mini 160 skimmer. Dosing 2 part till recently (more later). Water change schedule has been ~ 10 gallons a week (more later).

There was no cycle with the TBS rock, but I did have die off. NO3 hit 50 (salifert) or so, PO4 hit 1ppm (hanna), currently I have been running some GFO to get the PO4 down to about .07 and water changes to get the NO3 down to about 20ppm. I had a patch of GHA on the rock which are now gone.

I initially thought the dino was diatoms, so I added the 2nd DI to the RO and changed out the first when I initially started seeing the brown stuff. At about this time I started the GFO (it removes silicates too).

I currently am skimming pretty wet. I empty the cup every two days and change socks about every 3-4 days.

The brown stuff on the substrate has been there for about 3 weeks, I tried lights out for three days and it went away for about 2 days (during this period I added the nems).

Kh is 8.16 or better (would dose to 8.3 if at 8.16) and Ca 420-445 and Mg 1325-1400.

Rock looks great. Target feed shrimp with some LRS chunks about 2x week.

I have a Potters angel and Yellow shrimp goby in QT right now, they have been there for 5 weeks and will stay there till I get rid of the brown stuff.

Recent Variances
My Ph was pretty much 7.9-8.1 depending on the light cycle, in the past two weeks it has went into a range of about 7.75-7.85. More brown stuff appeared. My conchs have been below the substrate I assume getting their fill of the dino. I will also note I have a number of the red worms as observed by FishKeeper82.

I recently discontinued the 2 part and started dripping Kalk at night to combat the low Ph, hopefully help with PO4 and to keep my alk in check. My Ph has improved some it's up to 8.02 yesterday with a low of 7.8 in 24 hours. My Kh is at 8.48. Was doing 1/4 tsp in a gallon of water, upping this today to 1/2 tsp in a gallon, would like to see the Kh around 9.

SWAG
My Ph dropped bad as the Amphidinium got thicker. Thinking CO2 is doing something and hoping the Kalk will lower the CO2 and possibly fix this (yea right).

I have not done a water change this week.

Game Plan
I discontinued the GFO yesterday...don't know if that is making Fe available to the Amphidinium. Will continue Kalk, doubt it will hurt.

Thinking of going for no water changes and see if it chokes itself out naturally. Also thinking of vacuuming the substrate and doing a huge water change and continuing with the no water changes to see if this helps remove the population. I don't think this will help and I will be back were I am in 2 weeks.

-Might add some Chaeto to the sump.
-Was thinking Peroxide, but don't know how that will work with the Nems and shrimp.
-Ordered some Dino-x to have on hand.
-Worse case scenario, ditch the substrate.
-thinking of ordering about 40 cerith snails to churn substrate and eat the Amphidinium.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts and ideas on how to approach this. I have reached out to a couple others on the board with this and they did not really know how they got rid of it...which leads me to believe it choked itself out on it's own.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592260
neiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 01:39 PM   #4019
DNA
Registered Member

Very good report and a sound plan.
Move fast through your list and do many operations at once.

When did cerith snails start to eat dinos?

Unread 11/20/2016, 02:10 PM   #4020
neiltus
Registered Member

Oops...meant cerith snails to just get some movement in the substrate. Curious if anything else would do better at this? Or would this be a waste of time?

I did read a few posts back where someone put some cheato down and it acted as a mulch of sorts to prevent their bloom? Any downside to doing that all over the entire exposed substrate (temporarily of course).

Thoughts on peroxide or Dino x with nems in the tank?

Anything I am missing?

Stop water changes or try one large change to siphon out as much of the Dino as possible?

Unread 11/20/2016, 08:15 PM   #4021
dartier
Registered Member

Has anyone tried ....

I don't have dinos, but I stop in now and then to see how the fight is going. Today I was reading a thread here and on another forum about micro bubbling, basically making lots of very fine bubbles at night when your lights are off as a means of cleaning the tank of organics. Some users had reported that it was effective for them against dinos. That is when I thought of you guys

The technique comes from Elegant Corals. All it takes is a wooden air stone, air pump and a timer. For dinos one user mentioned he also dosed bacteria in addition to the micro bubbling. No promises, but if you have tried everything else ...

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 10:20 PM   #4022
neiltus
Registered Member

Welp, no time like the present...decided the first step would be to 'snow globe' the tank (Christmas is coming), so I mixed up two cups of kalk slurry using 2 tsp of kalk and dumped it in.

Ph went from 7.92 to 8.53.

Based on this article I am going to try this for a few days and see if it gets me anywhere.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

Nems are open, nothing appears stressed yet.

Also running about 100g of Red Sea carbon (started today) in case they puke up toxic crap in the tank. Hopefully save the snails. Might try to siphon out some tomorrow and do a partial small 2.5g water change(if I need to add water) and then re-dose kalk slurry to up Ph again. WTH...since they are sensitive to fresh water a little HYPO will not hurt anything, I will just siphon out the volume that I slurry in...easy enough.

Unread 11/20/2016, 10:26 PM   #4023
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartier View Post
I don't have dinos, but I stop in now and then to see how the fight is going. Today I was reading a thread here and on another forum about micro bubbling, basically making lots of very fine bubbles at night when your lights are off as a means of cleaning the tank of organics. Some users had reported that it was effective for them against dinos. That is when I thought of you guys

The technique comes from Elegant Corals. All it takes is a wooden air stone, air pump and a timer. For dinos one user mentioned he also dosed bacteria in addition to the micro bubbling. No promises, but if you have tried everything else ...

Dennis
I tried this back when I had Dinos. I was really hoping this would work since the concept seemed promising. At the time one of my local reef club members had a thread about Nano bubbling. This reefer was talking directly with one of the Elegant Corals reps. Nano bubbling did absolutely nothing for my Dinos from a visual stand point.

After I spoke my peace on how bubbling simply did not work for Dinos, It was then stated by the Elegant coral rep that made his way to the forum that Nano bubbling alone does not get rid of Dinos. "Tease are not magic bubbles" is what he said. It was then revealed I had to purchase a few products from Elegant Corals in conjunction with the Nano bubbling in order for it to work (I did not).

In short the idea was out completion by bacteria and algae and such summed up by the rep as "Darwinism". Same idea we try by the dirty method, phyto, pods, bacteria and such. I'm not saying Nano bubbling in conjunction with the products they are selling won't work, I hope It does work and hope to hear from some fellow reefers on some success stories here if indeed it does. They have a detailed list of day by day steps to do in conjunction with the bubbling I saw back then.
I lost all interest in it since it was pitched to me as a simple home solution that you did not need to throw money at that people were not willing to try. Then I was told I needed to buy some products...

Unread 11/20/2016, 10:42 PM   #4024
neiltus
Registered Member

Next step for me is mulching them via a kalk/sodium hydroxide paste delivered by large syringe then siphoned out. May try this in a few days if the elevated PH does not do anything.

Going to get medieval on their little butts.

Unread 11/21/2016, 12:00 PM   #4025
neiltus
Registered Member

So far so good, nothing appears stressed, and both of my fighting conchs came out of the sand bed to assist (I hope)-wonder if the lowered CO2 levels have something to do with this.

I hit with Kalk slurry last night...got my Ph up to about 8.5, this morning I hit it again good and my ph is 8.85. To lower some of the water level in the sump from the slurry I vacuumed a portion of the sand bed. I got a photo of one of the red worms that are running around the sand bed. I don't know if they have anything to do with the Amphidinium, but they were observed by another member during his outbreak.

Got to step out of the house for a bit, so I have a calc drip running, it's interesting that ph drops pretty quick after adding the slurry. The article in reef keeping says die off is pretty good at 8.6 to 8.8 and slower from 8.4-8.5, so I think I am going to try to keep it at 8.4+ with occasionally steps above 8.6 every few days.

Surprisingly the water is clear.

War photos...