Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2010, 10:10 PM   #1
k2skibum
Registered Member

Refugium too large?

I'm new to the hobby and this is my first thread on reef central, so bear with me.

I planning on putting together a 90gallon reef tank. I would like to do things "naturally" (i.e. lots of protein skimming and a refugium). I've been trying to find information about proper sizing and flow rates in a refugium, and it seems like the general consensus is 10% of display tank volume. My question is... Is it possible to have a refugium that is too large?

(I have an extra 55 gallon tank I want to use as a sump. With protein skimming on one end and a refugium on the other end..feeding the return pump in the center)

Originally I was planning on incorporating a DSB or Plenum in my display tank, and for aesthetic reasons, I've decided to do this in a the refugium. From what I read, the concern with a disproportionate refugium size is that there wouldn't be enough nutrients to support macro/mangrove growth. However, couldn't I have a large refugium in order to increase my NNR in the DSB and then limit how much macro/mangrove growth I have based on the expected bioload?

Any other disadvantages to large refugiums?

Just something that's been weighing on my mind, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks everyone!

-m

k2skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2010, 10:17 PM   #2
WhoDat?
Registered Member

Your refugium is best if it is as large as possible.... You can't go wrong... I have a 90 gallon bowfront and all I could fit under the cabinet was a 20g high as a refugium... If I could have fit another 90 gallon under the cabinet I would have... The more water volume you have the better.... More stability... Good luck!!

Current Tank Info: 165g Red Sea Reefer, S-200 skimmer.; CW-200 Algae Scrubber. Sea Max 26 LED lights. 2 Nero 5’s
WhoDat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Mad_Reefer
Registered Member

You can always feed your fuge if you think it is too big. I don't think it can be too big.

Mad_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Sychobunny21
Registered Member

Unless you seriously understock your tank there will be plenty of exess nutrients for your fuge.

Sychobunny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

BTW

To Reef Central

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2010, 11:02 PM   #6
schro
Registered Member

+1 on a larger refugium.

DON'T DO A PLENUM!

"the presence of a plenum has no measurable benefits over simply depositing the same sediments directly on the bottom of the aquarium" (Toonen & Wee)
Full article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/6/aafeature#h5

Current Tank Info: planning and building a 40 breeder
schro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2010, 11:52 PM   #7
spleify
Registered Member

To Reef Central

I am of the same opinion as the others, go as big as you can. The more water the better!

I too, would avoid the plenum.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 12:11 AM   #8
drparker
Registered Member

The bigger the better, if you have the space and money nothing wrong with the sump/fuge being bigger than the DT. I'm upgrading the one on my 75g the sump will be a 40g breeder with a separate 35g fuge.

The 55 you have will make a nice fuge. Skimmers have a certain height they like the water to be at so either build the baffles to that height or build a stand for the skimmer.

drparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 05:10 AM   #9
k2skibum
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome, everybody!

Unread 01/26/2010, 06:33 AM   #10
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

heh, my general consensus also agrees more with what has been posted in this thread.

To clear up confusion for you and anyone else new who is reading, there is no RULE about a fuge. a fuge by definition is merely a secondary box of water to the main display tank(DT) that you need to keep something separated from the DT.

once you realize this, THEN you can tailor the size to it's intended use. like a chaeto tub wouldnt need to be really big, but a fuge to hold an aggresive fish for example might be another tank the same size as your DT.

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 07:11 AM   #11
gdsmith56
Moved On

I agree with the other comments on the size but I'm more curious about the design. If you have the skimmer on one end and the fuge on the other with the return in the center, where will water enter the sump? In my mind, I see it entering on the end with the skimmer - so, will you have enough water flow to allow movement of water on the fuge end? You don't want the fuge flow to be so low that the water stagnates, but the full force of the 90's drain into the fuge could also be to much.

gdsmith56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 07:17 AM   #12
drparker
Registered Member

I current have the split design with the return in the middle. I split the flow from my DT so that 75% goes to the skimmer.

Unread 01/26/2010, 07:25 AM   #13
Daimyo68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmith56 View Post
I agree with the other comments on the size but I'm more curious about the design. If you have the skimmer on one end and the fuge on the other with the return in the center, where will water enter the sump? In my mind, I see it entering on the end with the skimmer - so, will you have enough water flow to allow movement of water on the fuge end? You don't want the fuge flow to be so low that the water stagnates, but the full force of the 90's drain into the fuge could also be to much.
Draining from the tank directly into the fuge is never a good idea, it becomes a Detritus Dump, being that the water had not been mechanically filtered by way of a sponge or sock filter.

Most designs, like the one the OP is thinking of, Skimmer>Return

Daimyo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 09:37 AM   #14
k2skibum
Registered Member

Yeah, my thought was to have two drains from the DT. The drain to the skimmer side of the sump would have to be large enough to accommodate the full flow of the return pump. The other drain into the refugium would have a gate valve on it to dial in the proper flow through the refugium. I was also planning on designing the refugium to leave the option of adding a filter sock if necessary.

Unread 01/26/2010, 10:08 AM   #15
DC_40gallon
Registered Member

Agreed, can't be too big. I've known people who like the growing part of refugiums and have a 55 gallon DT and a 90 gallon refugium/sump.

DC_40gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 10:26 AM   #16
thegrun
Registered Member

Bigger is better. I prefer Filter Sock/Skimmer>Refugium>Return layout. Cheato does well with a lot of flow, so I don't see a need to split the incoming line. I like to use a filter sock as long as you don't mind changing them out every 3 days. Mangroves grow so slowly that they are of little value for nutrient export, so unless you are growing them for aesthetic reasons, I would stick to live rock and cheato in the refugium.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 02:28 PM   #17
drparker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo68 View Post
Draining from the tank directly into the fuge is never a good idea, it becomes a Detritus Dump, being that the water had not been mechanically filtered by way of a sponge or sock filter.
To each his own, I prefer to run no mechanical filters in my system and just have flow keep everything stirred up. Once every few months I'll really stir things up and a run a sock for a day. But I feel the direct flow helps feed what I'm trying to cultivate in my fuge.

Unread 01/26/2010, 02:39 PM   #18
Larah
Registered Member

Mine is filter sock/ fuge/ skimmer/ DT...
and it's not big enough! The bigger the better!

Larah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 04:09 PM   #19
billdogg
Registered Member

my 150 DT has a 50g sump, and a seperate 120g fuge. GO LARGE!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 10:08 PM   #20
Daimyo68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparker View Post
To each his own, I prefer to run no mechanical filters in my system and just have flow keep everything stirred up. Once every few months I'll really stir things up and a run a sock for a day. But I feel the direct flow helps feed what I'm trying to cultivate in my fuge.
Do you have a DSB in your fuge or shallow? I'm curious I was thinking about not running a sock but with the DSB, stirring up the SB in there kind of defeats the purpose. Unless maybe your just stirring the very surface?

Daimyo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 10:46 PM   #21
drparker
Registered Member

I just use a turkey baster to lightly blast the surface of the sand in display and fuge I also use it on all rock work, corals and the bottom of the sump. With plenty of flow I just need to lift any settled detritus into the stream.

Sometimes I won't even run the sock after using the baster because the skimmer pulls a lot of it out. The socks are just a pain and the easier I can make it the better.

Unread 01/26/2010, 11:10 PM   #22
arrowheadpuffer
Registered Member

I ran a 90g with 55g fuge for the past 4-5 years, (just took it down for a home remodel) 6"+ DSB and chaeto lit by 220VHO. Over the last year I only did two water changes, and my nitrates were still hardly detectable.

Current Tank Info: 90g
arrowheadpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 08:07 PM   #23
one clownfish
Registered Member

^1 for the bigger the better you won't regret it. You'll always find something to put in it, rock,frag rack,bad fish. lol

one clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 08:13 PM   #24
reefscape15
Registered Member

There is a LFS near me that has a 180g and 90g display both plumbed together with 2 HUGE (3' x 5') Brute tubs set up as fuges. There's got to be over 400gal of water in the fuge and only maybe 250gal in the display tanks.

JIM

Current Tank Info: 5g standard softie/zoa tank, just starting a 20H
reefscape15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 08:35 PM   #25
Chiefsurfer
Registered Member

yet another +1 on the bigger the better. With a tank as big as a 55 for a sump, and I don't want to confuse you any more than you already are, think of combining the DSB and macro into one. Look into what's called a sea grass refugium. Because people usually use smaller sumps than can handle this, it is rather impracticle for most. A tank that size, might be something very cool to think about. I was just thinking I would want to use my 55 as a sump for my 90 or 120 whenever I get my own place.

Current Tank: 20 Gallon tall, 4-bulb t5 HO, Eshopps psk75H, ac-70 fuge. So far, green clown goby, striped goby, more gorillas than I wish I had, 5 SPS frags, 3 LPS Frags, 1 Softee, Turkey Wing Clam.

Plan for the future: 120 gallon 4ft glass tank.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon tall Reef Tank
Chiefsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep sand bed, macroalgae, refugium, sump