Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2013, 09:58 AM   #351
SPotter
Registered Member

ahhhh...fish tank humor!!! I never had much luck with the lights out method.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2013, 01:42 PM   #352
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYO382 View Post
Chemiclean does wonders have used in in sevral of my all out reef tanks, clears everything up in 2 days. But Spotter is right you need to find the source of the phosphate and nitrates. good luck
Sent pm.

Filtration includes passive filtration pads, skimmer, ca
jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2013, 02:17 PM   #353
jdpiii3
Registered Member

looking good jt48! Windows Live Movie Maker is a great free program that will let you edit, add titles captions and music

Current Tank Info: 400 gal in wall – Sun-Lit with two 21” Sun-Domes 72x36x36 400lbs l.r. & sand 2 ReeFlo Super Dart Gold return pumps, 120g Sump, My Reef Creations MR-6R Recirculating Protein Skimmer, 2 MP60's/ Tank Video on Youtube
jdpiii3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2013, 06:20 PM   #354
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpiii3 View Post
looking good jt48! Windows Live Movie Maker is a great free program that will let you edit, add titles captions and music
Thanks for the info and I'm glad ur tagging along. Great Video.
My wife is a survivor also, keep striving.

Unread 01/03/2013, 06:43 PM   #355
jt48
Registered Member

Looking for ideas

Thanks to Petsmarts $1 per gallon tank sale, I acquired three 40 gallon breeder tanks. My current sump is a 125 gallon baffled into three sections-skimmer/refugium (with miracle mud)/return. I think? I would like to remove the baffles (or not) and move the refugium (app 33 gallons) into one of the 40g breeders. I would prefer to leave my return pump alone. I would rather not have to lower my return pump and lose head pressure.

GOALS:
Keep the 125 for volume, pumps, skimmer, heaters.
One 40 G Breeder would be for my miracle mud refugium.
One 40 G Breeder would be for additional live rock.
One 40 G Breeder would be ?? (possibly mantis shrimp, possibly frag tank, possibly just separation tank)

I would like to utilize an existing mag (9.5 or 18) to draw water from the 125 into the three 40g's and have them dump back into the 125. The only way to accomplish this would be to have the 40g's high at eye level as the 125 is already on a 36"" stand. This can be accomplished by a parallell system in which the 40g's are next to each other, water flowing left to right or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I would like to drill the 125, gravity feed the three 40g,s and use the mag as a return back to the 125. This would be a vertical system in which the 40g's are on top of each other.

I contacted Aqueon, none of the panels are tempered.
I am terrible at google sketch but can quickly draw a sketch up if this doesnt make sense.

As always, appreciate your input and or links for ideas.

Unread 01/03/2013, 11:18 PM   #356
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

jt48 this is one great build. I was reading through the thread and realize that you went to the hidden reef. I am usually always at the hidden reef for my fish supplies. I am from the southampton area. Nice to see some local hobbyist around on RC. Where are you from if you dont mind me asking?

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2013, 11:53 PM   #357
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftanks6 View Post
jt48 this is one great build. I was reading through the thread and realize that you went to the hidden reef. I am usually always at the hidden reef for my fish supplies. I am from the southampton area. Nice to see some local hobbyist around on RC. Where are you from if you dont mind me asking?
Im in Richboro, have been at Hidden Reef and Fish Factory very often lately. Like and dislike both for different reasons. Some Dry goods at HR are "at cost", others are typical of retail. You have to do your research. Sometimes fish at HR are also a good find. For example, the m/f Blue Throat triggers were only $72 after a DVRC discount. Fish factory has better corals though. But, neither store can compare to ASR in chester county.

Ill pm u later.
Thanks

Unread 01/04/2013, 10:36 AM   #358
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Sounds good I liked to hear about ASR. I am right in Holland on buck road right near village shires. Looking forward to the PM.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 05:46 PM   #359
Osteoclast
Registered Member

I would aggressively vacuum the gravel into a filter sock to decrease the cyano. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 525 Mixed Reef SPS dominate
Osteoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2013, 09:19 AM   #360
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteoclast View Post
I would aggressively vacuum the gravel into a filter sock to decrease the cyano. Good luck.
Yes, i will be vacuuming to waste as part of the recommended 20% water change after treatment of chemiclean for 48 hours. Thank you.

Unread 01/07/2013, 09:23 PM   #361
jt48
Registered Member

6 month update

Today, January 7, 2013 is the six month birthday of my tank being in operation. I would like to share with everyone the lessons I have learned, many of which I have already shared, but to recap in a more condensed version. Condensed, not shorter lol.
First off, selection of Miracles in Glass in Canada as the chosen custom tank manufacturer has very mixed emotions. Customer service, namely Derek was outstanding. Very informative in some aspects at least, friendly, and patient. He helped me decide on my 96x36x23 three sided starphire rimless with black background and two trapezoid internal overflows each containing two 1.5 inch drains and 1.0 inch return. I was limited to the 23" height with or without the corner braces if I wanted rimless. The corner braces were added protection; namely if I ever wanted wave action. In hindsight, I believe the four 1.5 inch drains are overkill based on the fact that only a fraction of its capacity is being utilized. But, I believe this may be a reason why the tank is super quiet. It also allows for a much stronger return pump if needed in the future. Miracles was also very reasonably priced, and even after shipping was a fraction of other manufacturers pricing without shipping. Prior to my decision and after alot of reviews read, I did not come across any negative info regarding Miracles. At the time of ordering the tank with Miracles I learned they do not accept credit cards. No problem at the time as paypal was accepted. However, I experienced a problem with Paypal. They believed the purchase was a result of fraudulent activity and reversed the payment to Miracles. I had to wait five days until Paypal received the money from my bank before I was able to then reorder the tank. So LESSON LEARNED-Be aware that Miracles does not accept credit cards as this was not on their website and never mentioned. Also be aware that you may need to have the sufficient balance with Paypal. The problems that I experieced upon tank delivery is well documented in my thread. LESSON LEARNED-ensure that the movers use the glass suction cups. I dont believe the movers caused the scratches on the exterior surfaces but even if they did-it would have been impossible for the movers to cause scratches on the interior bottom pane. Do scratches there matter-no but there is no reason for it either-this was a new purchase costing thousands of dollars. Another testiment to Miracles excellent customer service-I was never questioned that it may have been the movers responsibility. Also, I believe its outstanding that Miracles sent two employees from Canada to Pennsylvania to fix the scratches-And they did, but there efforts were not able to correct the trapped gas dot at the surface and in fact they made its appearance worse by applying too much friction and heat and causing slight distortion. So, I was still left with the trapped gas dot and gained some glass distortion. LESSON LEARNED-Although trapped gas dots do occur in thicker glass, be aware of their existence and request that the tank be thoroughly inspected for any at the surface. (If they are at the surgface, they are visible from ten feet away). In the end, a settlement was reached with Miracles. Another LESSON LEARNED-Miracles recommends the construction foam between tank and stand. I had always thought that stuff was only needed under acrylic tanks. Again I believe Miracles should have provided this info. Its not even on their tank installation sheet. Anyway, 5 guys, four 10" suction cups, beer and pizza later corrected the problem and the plywood and foam was installed.

Now down to the DIY sump using a 125 gallon tank. My thread documents the wave action I was getting. LESSON LEARNED-The height of the baffles at drain side must be higher than the return side. Huh?, since when? Never heard that before. But for me, it corrected the problem.
Now to some equipment reviews-Dolphin Ampmaster 4750-Very Quiet and low heat but disaapointed in return flow at 9 feet head. According to charts provided on Marine Depot site, the 6250 provides much more flow at 9 feet (if I recall correctly the 4750 gives 30 gpm and 6250 gives 85 gpm) but the 6250 uses much much more power. Aquamaxx Cone 3 skimmer-I love this skimmer, best skimmer I ever used and very reasonably priced. Vertx Illumina SR260 led-I love this light but I find having to use the wireless thingy right next to the light a pia. You literally need to be standing next to the fixture with the laptop for it to receive a good signal. This aint me just complaining-it is recommended in the manual. I have not had any failures but have been reading alot of bad reviews on this product. Alot of customer support complaints also. I hope this was not an expensive mistake of a purchase, second choice would have been radions. Vortech MP40's-Just incredible, love them, worth the price. The battery back up was still working on hour #38 when I hooked up the generator. Miracle Mud-I am currently only using 30 pounds in an area of 24x17" which is under the recommended amount. I believe this is difficult to review. Is my caulerpa and chaeto growing-yes. Would they be with sand? I dont know. Has the miracle mud reduced the need for water changes? I dont know. My viewpooint is the benefits of using miracle mud is debateable but do not know of any disadvantages. So even though it is expensive, it is worth it for my system. Bulk Reef Supply Pukani Rock- This stuff is incredibly light. Love it. The BRS branching rock is very heavy with unique shapes. Empoeror Aquatics Smart HO UV Sterillizer 80 watt- This was just recently hooked up this week, too early for review. Flow is for parasites, not algae. I know many dont believe in its use. BRS Jumbo Reactors-one for carbon and one for GFO. I like quality of the reactors, the improvement of water clarity from the carbon and reduced phosphates from the GFO. I will certainly continue its use. Generac 8000 watt generator-On October 22, 2012 Hurricane Sandy knocked out power to my residence and the tank went without power (all except vortech battery back up) for 38 hours. I hooked up generator during hour #38 and it worked perfectly for several more days until power was restored. Although I have the generator now and I did not lose any livestock, I am still upset with myself that I did not have the generator since tank was born. LESSON LEARNED-Get generator for your tank.

Now onto my current stock-
Fish:34
Occelaris Clownfish, Black Occelaris(rescued), #3 Fancy Occelaris, #2 Six Line Wrasse(one rescued), Royal Gramma, #2 Blue Green Chromis, Lawnmower Bleny, Diamond Goby, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, #3 Yellow Tangs, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, #9 Bartletts Anthias, Male Blue Throat Triggerfish, Female Blue Throat Triggerfish, Desjardini Sailfin Tang(rescued), #2 Pajama Cardinalfish(rescued), Bicolor Bleny(rescued).
That makes 34 fish total. Others on my wish list include Pearly or Blue Spot Jawfish, Mandarin Goby (when tank is more mature) and possibly a Flame Angelfish (love this fish, they have such a bad reputation yet I see so many in reef tanks). I believe I am done with anymore large fish, maybe one more, i dont know. I think a Magnificent Foxface would be a nice adition.
Fish that died: 5
One Blue Green Chromis two days after purchase. Another Blue Green Chromis two days after purchase. Cleaner Wrasse two days after purchase. These were all separate events. Clown Tang 11 days after purchase(refunded by liveaquaria). One Bartletts Anthias went into hiding immediately upon addition and was never seen again. (refunded by liveaquaria).
CORALS: include War Coral, Favia, Gastrea, zoathids, pulsing zenia, gsp, green mushroom(rescued), Toadstool Leather(rescued), Finger Leather(rescued), Torch Coral, Anthilia (rescued),purple montipora, Lime Acro. Gonipora.
CLAMSeresa(rescued).
INVERTS:Cleaner Shrimp, Nasauris snails, Turbo Snails, Queen Conch, Bristle Starfish(rescued).
Rescued means that they were obtained for free from a much neglected tank being broken down.

MY PLANS WITH CORALS: Keep in mind I love the way my rocks look and want to maintain the overall shape. The shape would be lost if filled with branching sps. Also, I love lps both encrusting and waving/branching. Also love zoanthids. So I plan on eventually covering my large rock structures on the left and the right with encrusting lps(war coral, lord acans) and zoanthids. This way, the shape of the rock will be maintained. I really like branching lps such as torch, frogspawn, hammer due to their movement and plan on having these in other areas.

FUTURE PLANS- I will soon be removing the miracle mud refugium from the 125 gallon sump and utilize this space for pure water volume and equipment. I will be connecting two 40 gallon breeder tanks to the 125. One of the 40's will be a LR refugium and one will be dedictated as the miracle mud refugium with an additional 10-20 pounds mud. This will make my miracle mud area 50% larger. I need to organize my fish room, and tidy up my elecrical cords. I need to invest in better testing equipment, either with higher end chemical reagents or digital. I am expecting my refractometer in the mail soon after I was shocked to learn my hydrometer was off by .05 Also looking to upgrade my photography equipment and skills; seriously considering the Nikon 1 V2.

MISCELLANEOUS-My tank recently had an outbreak of red cyano. This may very well have been a result of high phosphates due to being past due on changing my gfo. It may also have been a result of overfeeding (on purpose) as it was my understanding that Anthias require frequent feedings, especially in the beginning. It may also have been the result of a rather rapid increase in bioload back in November/December. I was orginally going to wait till today to get all my larger fish but the combination of great holiday sales and finding that gorgeous BT Trigger pair got the best of me. I used a combination of 72 hours of lights out in conjunction with a 48 hour treatment of Chemiclean. I am very happy with the results and I have my pink coralline covered rocks back. I followed up with a 20% water change but my skimmer is still not useable (extreme wet skim). I will need to follow up with another rinsing of the skimmer and another water change.

THANKYOU FOR READING. ANY ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
HAPPY NEW YEAR. BE SAFE.

Last edited by jt48; 01/07/2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: TYPO
Unread 01/16/2013, 10:44 PM   #362
jt48
Registered Member

Please ID this, there are several in my fuge.

Unread 01/17/2013, 11:02 AM   #363
WSPepsilon
Registered Member

Very impressive build jt. Just spent all morning reading through everything. Have you looked into algae scrubbers at all? They appear to be highly affective at removing nitrates, phosphates, and relocating nuisance algae out of a dt. I don't have one yet so I can't speak from personal experience, I am however in the research/design/build stage. The water fall versions can be very simplistic and cheap to set up and you probably already have almost everything needed... might be worth checking out.

-subscribed

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

WSPepsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2013, 11:21 AM   #364
WSPepsilon
Registered Member

Isn't it amazing the things we see in our tanks! ? I have never seen those before... I'm guessing a slug or worm of some type. Hopefully it's not a bad kind.

WSPepsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2013, 05:13 PM   #365
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPepsilon View Post
Very impressive build jt. Just spent all morning reading through everything. Have you looked into algae scrubbers at all? They appear to be highly affective at removing nitrates, phosphates, and relocating nuisance algae out of a dt. I don't have one yet so I can't speak from personal experience, I am however in the research/design/build stage. The water fall versions can be very simplistic and cheap to set up and you probably already have almost everything needed... might be worth checking out.

-subscribed

Yes in process of hooking up two 40 g breeders to the 125 sump and considering dedicating one of them to an algae scrubber.

Unread 01/17/2013, 05:15 PM   #366
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPepsilon View Post

-subscribed

Yes in process of hooking up two 40 g breeders to the 125 sump and considering dedicating one of them to an algae scrubber.

Unread 01/17/2013, 08:03 PM   #367
biecacka
Registered Member

Nice looking set up, I too am considering a miracles custom rimless tank. Following along
Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2013, 03:09 PM   #368
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

That is a type of flatworm, not the coral eating ones. They didn't cause me any problems when they were in my tank right after start up, by the 6 month mark they were gone.

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2013, 09:12 PM   #369
bhsgk
awesome at life

i have a few of those clear flatworms in my sump as well. I had to look them up on the internet and i finally found them on melev's old site.

bhsgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 01:16 PM   #370
Thanksgramps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
Spotter....
Correct--- neither of my two lfs carry the products so ill be ordering online. Also, The API PO4 does not have anything between 0 and .25 so ill check into better test kits also. In the mean time, started the no light method last night and although no direct sunlight ever hits tank , there is alot of ambient light from a large bay window across from yhe tank. At least the fish will have something to read... Especially the school of anthias. Get it? Haha
JT - Good thing you put those headlines facing out. You wouldn't want to depress the fish with the sorry state of NY sports.

Seriously though, thank you for posting your experience. I'm talking to Miracles now about a smaller rimless and your shared lessons are my gain. Appreciated.

Thanksgramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2013, 06:24 PM   #371
jt48
Registered Member

Just an fyi, divers den has the black longnose tang available. My lfs has one in the dt, very striking fish.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...+3&ddid=179540

Unread 02/15/2013, 06:56 AM   #372
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
Just an fyi, divers den has the black longnose tang available. My lfs has one in the dt, very striking fish.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...+3&ddid=179540

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2013, 09:38 PM   #373
jt48
Registered Member

Just noticed bioluminesence on my live rock, not much at all, some areas are the size of a pencil dot, others are like one square inch. Lights are actinic only. Colors are nice orange red similar to my armagedan zoas. Can anyone explain what this is? It would be awesome if it spreads. My only camera is the iphone which does not show up on camera.

Unread 02/16/2013, 08:36 AM   #374
jt48
Registered Member

Ok, now that my lights are on i was able to see more clearly the are that was giving off the fluresence. It looks like orange coralline algae. Truly awesome. Hope it spreads.

Unread 02/16/2013, 04:21 PM   #375
letsgrow34
Registered Member

Coralline algea is spreading like crazy in my tank right now. Mine is seven months old. Everymorning when my actinics kick on I see bright orange/pink spots glowing. By time my actinics are on at night for dawn these spots have lost there glow and are whitish. In a few days reg old coralline spots.

letsgrow34 is offline   Reply With Quote