Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/18/2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Crosis
Registered Member

100g+ Reef Tank - will have questions!

Greetings!

I'm starting this build thread as I collect parts and start my tank build.

I'm gonna throw questions out there, and would love feedback as I go through the process.

Build progress will be slow as I am unemployed living off my military disability and supporting a family of 5.

I was active years ago (RC, Bay Area Reefers - BAR, and a couple other forums), putting together a 270g display, but never finished because life got in the way. New house (renter now), new state, and unemployed so I have free time!!! I've decided to give it a go again and actually get a tank setup, but with a smaller tank due to house size restrictions.

I'm going to recycle a lot of the equipment I had purchased and never used for the original setup.

Tank
I'm picking up the tank later this month, I don't have exact dimensions but it's ballpark 30x30x36T - original owner used it as a holding container for saltwater for water changes.

Tank is not drilled, so I will have to do that. and build an internal overflow (planned on drilling bottom, if it's not tempered. Original owner says it can be drilled, but I'm a skeptic - always verify for yourself)

Stand
Stand is not built. waiting on actual tank before building stand.

Sump
Sump is not built. Trying to min/max my space, and figure out how much room I'll have under the tank and next to it without ****ing off the Mrs.
I'd like to convert a tank, but it's looking like I'd have space for a 24"x24"x20"T, I don't forsee my finding a cube to work with so I might end up building from scratch out of plexi or glass.

Lighting
LEDS are not built. I'll post about those after I get my work bench and drill press setup, I have to drill the heats inks and do all the wiring.

Tank Flow
I have a few MP40s from my original build. They probably need some maintenance - new magnet/impellers, but cheaper than buying new

Plumbing
I'm trying to figure out all the plumbing.
I have - GFO/Carbon Dual filter (BRS), Vortech UV-15, SRO XP-5000 int Skimmer, and Korallin Calcium Reactor w/co2 tank....

Anything else I'll need for a successful reef?

Modifications right out the door:
I have a huge internal skimmer (SRO XP-5000 Int.Cone with self cleaning head - 30" tall) I'm looking to make an external by keeping the pump in the sump, drilling the sump, and plumbing from pump to skimmer (straight pipe, no bends), than plumbing output from skimmer back to tank (straight pipe, no bends). This is so I can put the skimmer next to the tank and not under it, due to its height.

So that's it, it's a beginning.... let's see where it takes us.

Last edited by Crosis; 08/18/2016 at 03:42 PM.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 06:02 AM   #2
Crosis
Registered Member

Update, the Mrs. has approved my using the 120g tank I had converted into a Sump (for my old 270g display build) as the sump for the new build. Which means she approved the bigger stand that comes with it!

Cuts down on costs, equipment needs, increases volume, and cuts down on actual time until the tank is cycling!

Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Ajae
Registered Member

Nice keep us posted on the build.

Ajae is offline   Reply With Quote