Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2006, 10:24 PM   #76
11fishes
Registered Member

ouch! what a beauty

Current Tank Info: 90 gal. reef and it's empty
11fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2006, 10:25 PM   #77
sixxer
Moved On

Beautiful Tom.

Congrats....

sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2006, 04:57 PM   #78
arrow2fast
Registered Member

What is the name of the bushy, beautiful huge soft coral on the left side of the tank?
We are slowly buildling softie tank and yours is an INSPIRATION... We won't ever have one like yours (I don't have a basement, ha ha), but we at least have a direction to follow

Joanna

Current Tank Info: 175 gal with all the bells and whistles
arrow2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2006, 05:21 PM   #79
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arrow2fast
What is the name of the bushy, beautiful huge soft coral on the left side of the tank?
We are slowly buildling softie tank and yours is an INSPIRATION... We won't ever have one like yours (I don't have a basement, ha ha), but we at least have a direction to follow

Joanna
Thanks for the nice comments! If you are speaking of the coral that is branchy, it is a gorgonian. If you are speaking of the leather below that it is a sarchophyte. Good luck with your tank!

tom obrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2006, 08:54 PM   #80
timespinner
Registered Member

Looks great!

timespinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2006, 07:57 AM   #81
MadTownMax
***erately knowledgable

do you have any progression pictures of the gorgonian's growth? I'm wondering as I've never seen gorgonians as healthy and large as yours.

Is there anything you attribute this to? Flow? light? Special top-secret food? - wondering if there is any relation to the high fish-load and accelerated growth...... hence the progression pictures

I've tried gorgonians many times, and while I get them to survive, they just won't grow wondering maybe if I need to get a larger specimen to have a solid "base" to start from instead of 4" long frags..... ?

MadTownMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2006, 09:40 AM   #82
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadTownMax
do you have any progression pictures of the gorgonian's growth? I'm wondering as I've never seen gorgonians as healthy and large as yours.

Is there anything you attribute this to? Flow? light? Special top-secret food? - wondering if there is any relation to the high fish-load and accelerated growth...... hence the progression pictures

I've tried gorgonians many times, and while I get them to survive, they just won't grow wondering maybe if I need to get a larger specimen to have a solid "base" to start from instead of 4" long frags..... ?
Even though I don't have any time frame pics I can say I've had some of these pieces a number of years and through numerous tank moves. Each time the gorgonians grow right to the water's surface. The large piece on the tank's left side actually growns past the water's surface. The water flow keeps it bent over at times and when it straightens up it extends out of the water. I had this piece in an old 180 (24" tall) and transfered it to the current tank about 2 years ago. The current tank is 28" high and it took only about 6 months for it to grow to the current height.

I think the varied water flow from the Sea Swirls, smaller food like daphnia and metal halide lighting have all attributed to success.

I have recently purchased gorgonians and stripped the base down to the stem about 3/4 to 1" up the base and drilled a piece of live rock to stick it in. I have found in the past that if you use underwater epoxy to attach the piece to it might irritate the gorg so the tissue receeds. If your systems conditions are to it's liking, it should start spreading new tissue over the rock with in weeks.

Hope this helps.

tom obrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2006, 10:06 AM   #83
MadTownMax
***erately knowledgable

incredibly helpful - many thanks!!!!

MadTownMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 08:19 PM   #84
Danster
Registered Member

Nice read. Love the tank!

Danster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2006, 06:34 AM   #85
rylin
Registered Member

I think that's one of the most excellent tanks I've ever seen! LOVE the huge corals. I'm an all softy fan as well. Your setup is AWESOME. Congrats!

rylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2006, 08:27 AM   #86
UnlimitedReef
Moved On

Nice tank.

Congrats....

UnlimitedReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2006, 12:46 PM   #87
Blueboxer
Registered Member

very nice

Blueboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2006, 11:21 PM   #88
Rigger
Registered Member

Way to go on tank of the month, a great read and well deserved.

Beautiful Tank!!

Current Tank Info: 180G REEF, 100G Refugium, 100G Sump, ETSS 800 Skimmer, 3200 Sequence main pump, Reef Dart closed loop, Oceansmotions 4-way, Aqua Space Light (rebuilt w/ice cap ballasts) w/3 250 watt DE 20K AB, 2/160 watt VHO 454's
Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2006, 04:22 PM   #89
electrokate
Registered Member

WOW! What an amazing tank. You have pretty much got everything I want going in a tank-I too am mostly into soft coral. Really want the basement filtration as well. Love anthias and think chromis are underrated. I keep a few token or colorful hard corals but that's it.

Where do you get the gorgonians you have? (PM if you don't want to plug a seller online) Must be photosynthetics and those can be hard to track down, usually the Florida collectors have them but at random times. I have a ribbon gorgonian that does well, would love to get more of other varieties since you have proven they get along with softies. (:

Thanks for showing us your gorgeous tank!
Kate

electrokate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2006, 05:26 PM   #90
fla_spearo
Premium Member

I know you probably haven't monitored this in a while. First let me say your tank look great! But I do have a question why did you take the output of the refugium to the skimmer?

Current Tank Info: Setting up a 65 with refugium. 492 watts of light above.
fla_spearo is offline   Reply With Quote