Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2014, 07:39 AM   #251
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
Has anyone ever put their laser in a plastic bag and used it from inside the tank? My boyfriend assures me that it will work but I am skeptical. It would allow me to get to some pests that are behind rocks though...
I own and tested a water-proof laser and posted the results earlier in this thread. It performed OK, but as it was lower power, was not as effective as a larger laser used from outside the tank.

The focus is critical, when I tested the water-proof version, it initially failed as there was air trapped beneath the lens rendering it ineffective. I don't think the plastic bag idea is viable, as I think the bag itself would not function the same optically as the glass or acrylic and would likely interfere with the focus, or be melted.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2014, 11:06 PM   #252
miserkris
Registered Member

Calm seas quest and others...

Does anyone know if high powered.. like 1.7w blue 445nm lasers that have a RECTANGULAR end point work for killing pests in dt?

I have one ...but it only inconvenienced them. ...i don't hear the popping or cracking sound that happens when u fry them right.

Maybe mine doesn't focus well?

Please advice. Thx

Current Tank Info: 156 g mixed reef
miserkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2014, 06:51 AM   #253
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miserkris View Post
Calm seas quest and others...

Does anyone know if high powered.. like 1.7w blue 445nm lasers that have a RECTANGULAR end point work for killing pests in dt?

I have one ...but it only inconvenienced them. ...i don't hear the popping or cracking sound that happens when u fry them right.

Maybe mine doesn't focus well?

Please advice. Thx
I'm not familiar with rectangular optics, but the focus is absolutely critical for this use. I've found that even the most powerful laser will be ineffective if the beam endpoint isn't focused to a very small dot. You can use the "sizzling and popping" sound as an indicator you've achieved the correct focus.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
Unread 03/04/2014, 07:53 AM   #254
uny2bld
Registered Member

Subscribed!

I was looking at this laser: http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic but now I'm reading this thread and others and am considering other options...

if you were to buy just one laser, which would you reccomend?

uny2bld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 08:12 AM   #255
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uny2bld View Post
Subscribed!

I was looking at this laser: http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic but now I'm reading this thread and others and am considering other options...

IMHO, based on the reviews of Wicked lasers, I would not purchase through them and at $600+ for ~2W, you can have a much better/higher output unit made for less money.

Unread 03/04/2014, 01:21 PM   #256
uny2bld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
IMHO, based on the reviews of Wicked lasers, I would not purchase through them and at $600+ for ~2W, you can have a much better/higher output unit made for less money.
Thanks for the input.

Would you reccomend Survival Laser II as one of the better options?

Unread 03/04/2014, 03:00 PM   #257
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Would you reccomend Survival Laser II as one of the better options?
Yes, one of my early lasers was from Survival, it was a quality product. I'd also recommend spending some time at LaserPointerForums.com. It's a great resource with many talented builders. I just noted a 3+W 445nm unit available in the for-sale section for $349. It appears to be a MONSTER...

Diode : 445nm 9mm diode
Output diode : over 3000mW
Output buck driver: 2.4A current
Lens : G2
Power supply : 2x 26650 Li-ion rechargeable battery.
Duty cycle : 5min on/ 2min off.

Make sure you've read and understand the safety requirements, have appropriate eye protection and a way to secure the laser when not in use.

Good luck!

Unread 03/05/2014, 08:27 AM   #258
uny2bld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Yes, one of my early lasers was from Survival, it was a quality product. I'd also recommend spending some time at LaserPointerForums.com. It's a great resource with many talented builders. I just noted a 3+W 445nm unit available in the for-sale section for $349. It appears to be a MONSTER...

Diode : 445nm 9mm diode
Output diode : over 3000mW
Output buck driver: 2.4A current
Lens : G2
Power supply : 2x 26650 Li-ion rechargeable battery.
Duty cycle : 5min on/ 2min off.

Make sure you've read and understand the safety requirements, have appropriate eye protection and a way to secure the laser when not in use.

Good luck!
Awesome! Thanks so much for the advice

Unread 06/06/2014, 05:42 PM   #259
seafish
Registered Member

lasering aiptasias

I recently bought a Spider3 arctic blue light laser 2W for our aiptasia problem in our 180gal tank. The glass is 1/2" thick. After watching some videos online, seeming it should not be that difficult, attempted my try at removing these critters. After several tries I am not getting the results I was hoping for. I am leaving the light on them for quite some time.

seafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2014, 07:46 PM   #260
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member

Why aren't you getting the results you expected? Are the Aiptasia retracting too quickly to be fried? Is the laser not focusing the beam enough to fry?

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2014, 03:12 PM   #261
seafish
Registered Member

Is the idea to aim at thecenter of them? And also the tips that wicked lasers sent are more patterns.

Unread 06/08/2014, 08:11 AM   #262
seafish
Registered Member

Is there any cap for the wicked laser that can adjust the beam? I shot across to the tempature sensor on the back of my tank, approx. 24" to see what I could raise it to. With the full charge and full power, I raised it from 77' to 86-88'. It seems thats not enough increase to make an impact. Is my Arctic Laser a bad purchase?

Unread 06/08/2014, 06:58 PM   #263
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafish View Post
I recently bought a Spider3 arctic blue light laser 2W for our aiptasia problem in our 180gal tank. The glass is 1/2" thick. After watching some videos online, seeming it should not be that difficult, attempted my try at removing these critters. After several tries I am not getting the results I was hoping for. I am leaving the light on them for quite some time.
I'm not familiar with that model, but 2 watts should be enough to gain results assuming you're able to focus it. The focus is absolutely critical for this use. I've found that even the most powerful laser will be ineffective if the beam endpoint isn't focused to a very small dot.

You can use the "sizzling and popping" sound as an indicator you've achieved the correct focus.

Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 06/08/2014 at 07:17 PM.
Unread 06/08/2014, 07:28 PM   #264
seafish
Registered Member

The tips that came with the laser are just the straight beam and several novelty pattern tips. None are an adjustable focus tip.I did some expermenting with the intensity of the beam. While holding the laser, ran my other hand across the beam. I found that I could stop my hand for a couple of seconds before feeling the heat of the beam. I haven't gotten the sizzling sound yet.

Unread 06/08/2014, 07:46 PM   #265
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:
The tips that came with the laser are just the straight beam and several novelty pattern tips. None are an adjustable focus tip.I did some expermenting with the intensity of the beam. While holding the laser, ran my other hand across the beam. I found that I could stop my hand for a couple of seconds before feeling the heat of the beam. I haven't gotten the sizzling sound yet.
I'm afraid that laser will near useless for our purposes. You need variable optics that can finely focus the beam endpoint - literally to the size of a pinhead.

If correctly focused, it would have instantly start burning your flesh if you placed your hand in front of it. Perhaps you can order optics for it?

Unread 06/09/2014, 01:31 AM   #266
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member

Quote:
Is there any cap for the wicked laser that can adjust the beam? I shot across to the tempature sensor on the back of my tank, approx. 24" to see what I could raise it to. With the full charge and full power, I raised it from 77' to 86-88'. It seems thats not enough increase to make an impact. Is my Arctic Laser a bad purchase?
My first laser was an arctic Wicked Laser. It would not destroy any pest. It would not focus its beam. It came with decorative lens only, nothing useful. I asked around Wicked Laser and other laser experts and lens experts and was told there was no way to buy or build a focusing lens for their laser. Ended up having to buy another laser from someone else. Luckily other lasers are way cheaper.

Wicked Lasers equals Wicked Ripoff

Unread 06/09/2014, 01:34 AM   #267
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member

Quote:
Subscribed!

If I were to buy one laser for reef use, I would go to LaserPointerForums dot com and ask around. A hobbiest there built mine and the did a great job for $80.

Unread 06/11/2014, 07:54 AM   #268
seafish
Registered Member

I would like to know which lasers do the best job for aiptasias. Wattage, Color, Wavelength, and of course Price? Are there any US companies that sell so it eliminates the delay in shipping?

Unread 06/18/2014, 08:17 AM   #269
seafish
Registered Member

Quote:
If I were to buy one laser for reef use, I would go to LaserPointerForums dot com and ask around. A hobbiest there built mine and the did a great job for $80.
Looks like I am going down the same road. I bought an Arctic laser also. Did you have any better luck with the aftermarket focus tip working or what was your ending solution ?

Unread 06/18/2014, 12:42 PM   #270
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

I have the 501B and 502B from SciFi laser and both are focusable. My 502B peeks at 2404.6mW and makes short work of Aips. The 501B kills them as well but not as quickly.

http://www.sflasers.us/445nm_-_Blue/...8_1863030.aspx

Unread 06/20/2014, 02:09 PM   #271
leetch
Registered Member

This all reminds me of the movie Real Genius. Next thing you know, popcorn will be filling up your aquarium.

It's all very interesting but the main concern would not only be the dangers but the time involved in trying to eradicate a pest. If I have a full on Aiptaisa outbreak I run much less risk by using a filefish than a laser. Also, the filefish will get the aiptasia that I can't see meaning it's considerably more effective at control.

I'll still tune in to see how things go but it does seem a pretty ineffective way to do things. Just my $.02.

leetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2014, 06:20 PM   #272
seafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetch View Post
This all reminds me of the movie Real Genius. Next thing you know, popcorn will be filling up your aquarium.

It's all very interesting but the main concern would not only be the dangers but the time involved in trying to eradicate a pest. If I have a full on Aiptaisa outbreak I run much less risk by using a filefish than a laser. Also, the filefish will get the aiptasia that I can't see meaning it's considerably more effective at control.

I'll still tune in to see how things go but it does seem a pretty ineffective way to do things. Just my $.02.
The problem is that mine is a reef tank and some of the solutions that will work on the aiptasias (fish, peppermint shrimp, etc.) will also eat the corals in the tank. We have tried the Bergia Nudibranchs several times but never had any luck.

Unread 06/23/2014, 02:25 PM   #273
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member

Update of my laser experiences, yours may differ.
*Aipasia, effective if you can fry them down to the base. They retract to hide. If they can hide their base from you they will survive. Plus there are always some behind the rocks you can reach no matter what.
* Xenia, amusing at first due to sizzling but ultimately a waste of time. You would need to cut them with scissors first then fry the base fully. Since the Xenia are light colored they don't absorb the heat as much as other things do and it takes longer.
*Valonia, does not absorb blue laser much. Red would be more effective I think. I can see something going on inside the ball but they don't die.
*Bryopsis, uneffective.
*Bristleworms, works only on those you can corner. Pantyhose traps still work best.

Altogether, I'd say it was a fun experiment that was worth trying but sadly, I feel its a dead end. It does kill pests, but only those you can see and aim at, which in a reef tank,as we all know, is a very small percentage.

Unread 06/25/2014, 01:07 PM   #274
seafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Update of my laser experiences, yours may differ.
*Aipasia, effective if you can fry them down to the base. They retract to hide. If they can hide their base from you they will survive. Plus there are always some behind the rocks you can reach no matter what.
* Xenia, amusing at first due to sizzling but ultimately a waste of time. You would need to cut them with scissors first then fry the base fully. Since the Xenia are light colored they don't absorb the heat as much as other things do and it takes longer.
*Valonia, does not absorb blue laser much. Red would be more effective I think. I can see something going on inside the ball but they don't die.
*Bryopsis, uneffective.
*Bristleworms, works only on those you can corner. Pantyhose traps still work best.

Altogether, I'd say it was a fun experiment that was worth trying but sadly, I feel its a dead end. It does kill pests, but only those you can see and aim at, which in a reef tank,as we all know, is a very small percentage.
I ordered up the one from Laserpoint with the focus lens, so will see when I get it.

Unread 07/15/2014, 08:13 PM   #275
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

So do the aptasias come back at all after treatment?

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aiptasia, algae, laser, pests, xenia