Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2007, 11:41 PM   #326
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by aeroaustin
Grim,

I just upgrade to 75 gallon, I will redesign the light canopy add to 6 lighs from 4 lights by 37 gallon.

I am getting two more retro from diyreef, but it nice to have upgrade to ice cap relfectors for only 4 dollars but still have to buy 4 more ice cap relfectors to replace teks

need your opnion about the light. 3 ATI blue plus, aquasun or GE, 2 Super Actinic? operate by 3 ballast.

so there will be blue?

Rear

>> Blue plus ----- 1
>> Super actinic ----- 2
>> aquasun or GE --- 3
>> Blue plus --- 3
>> super actinic --- 2
>> blue Plus --- 1

front
That should be very blue

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 01:37 PM   #327
Serioussnaps
Registered Member

Okey dokey Grim,

Checking in to see if you have done tested the PAR on the very same bulbs used in a controlled setting to see which ones degrade the fastest and what not.

I am at the point where I have all the bulbs and combos under control, but now I am interested in the efficacy of the brands, bulbs and under different situations.

LMK if you have done anything along these lines. I think Hahn may have, but one of you fellas LMK.

Thanks

Serioussnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 01:41 PM   #328
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

I havent. I think Hahn was going to do that.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 04/04/2007, 03:12 PM   #329
wayner1
Moved On

OK, not sure what thread to go to anymore so I'll try here, setting up a 36L 24W 22H - sps/clam tank, want to go with T5's, not really interested in what bulbs to use just yet, would like to get your opinion on what fixture I should by, Aquatinics, Tek, which one has the best reflectors, fans etc.,

I will be able to keep sps with t5's right?

Tks

wayner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 05:54 PM   #330
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Aquactinics and yes, you can keep SPS.

Unread 04/04/2007, 06:19 PM   #331
wayner1
Moved On

Thank You Sir!

wayner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2007, 03:41 PM   #332
muzz
Registered Member

thanks grim

Current Tank Info: 45g bowfront and 125g with 75g sump
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 01:21 PM   #333
cham
Registered Member

Ok Grimm..... here is a senario for ya, you have seen the most T5 bulbs of anyone I know.

I just got the Iwasaki 175w 15k bulbs that have crazy PAR values at 86 PPFD. But they are white as a sheet of paper and I need some blue with punch.

I do have a 110 tall with an IC 660 running two URI super actinic VHO's (cause I've heard great things about URI VHO's & SPS colors) and two giesmann 11k T5's on Icecap reflectors.

I need more blue & it is time to change bulbs out (9 months) so I was thinking of ordering two more URI VHO's, and one really blue T5 keeping one T5 as an 11k so when the MH are off my tank isn't a total blue out.

Am I off base here?

Who makes a T5 with the most blue punch for a tall tank, in your opinion?

cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 01:45 PM   #334
noplis18
Registered Member

please help me need advice

help me pick out my new lighting please i dont know which one to get....

i have a 37 gallon SW tank, live rock, want to get softies, shrooms, polyps, ect....

i was thinking of getting the hamilton technology retrofit kit that brings 4 x 24 watt HO T5
http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/s...O+Retrofit+Kits

or

i was looking at the ready tek kit from sunlight supply they bring
2 x 24 watt HO T5 but i was thinking of getting two of them.
http://as.starware.com/dp/search?x=...8kf1A4+teEtPzQ=

i did the measurements and the hamilton is only a inch bigger and it is one peace rather then two different pieces if i get the sunlight supply. i have the space in my canopy but i will have to drill some holes for fans.

noplis18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 02:20 PM   #335
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cham
Ok Grimm..... here is a senario for ya, you have seen the most T5 bulbs of anyone I know.

I just got the Iwasaki 175w 15k bulbs that have crazy PAR values at 86 PPFD. But they are white as a sheet of paper and I need some blue with punch.

I do have a 110 tall with an IC 660 running two URI super actinic VHO's (cause I've heard great things about URI VHO's & SPS colors) and two giesmann 11k T5's on Icecap reflectors.

I need more blue & it is time to change bulbs out (9 months) so I was thinking of ordering two more URI VHO's, and one really blue T5 keeping one T5 as an 11k so when the MH are off my tank isn't a total blue out.

Am I off base here?

ATI Blue Plus. I would try I VHO Actinic, 2 Blue Plus and a Aquablue ideally. Not sure you really need two VHO Actinics. You might try blocking one off just to see if it makes a big difference.

Unread 05/11/2007, 02:26 PM   #336
jamesdawson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cham

Am I off base here?

Easy question---ATI Blue Plus on IC reflectors.

By the way, you are going to have kick-butt lighting going on considering you will have the 3 best bulbs in the business (as far as PAR efficiency/fluorescence) with the Iwasaki 15Ks, ATI Blue Pluses, and the URI VHOs on Ice Caps.

I will definetely use the same bulbs on my next tank.

James

Current Tank Info: I'm expanding my reach
jamesdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 02:32 PM   #337
cham
Registered Member

Cool

Thanks Grimm & James!

I think I am only going to order one ATI blue plus & two URI VHO's. I can play with the fourth one either keeping the 11k Giesmann (only 9 months old is OK for T5) and see how that looks. If I need more blue (doubt it) I will order a somewhat blue 4th bulb. If I need alot more white, I can head towards a much lower kelvin bulb.

I agree James, I spent more running my lighting all on IC ballasts (three in total) but the effiency & great service sold me. Those guys are AWESOME to deal with and I am getting alot of light for my $$$.

cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2007, 01:55 PM   #338
Serioussnaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thriceanangel
I heard they got recalled due to being the wrong size, is this true?
this is so representative of SLS...they put a product out on the market that wasnt even the right size?

Serioussnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2007, 02:30 PM   #339
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Amazing isn't it.

Unread 05/13/2007, 12:44 PM   #340
jamesdawson
Registered Member

One more reason among many for staying away from them.

Fortunately there are a lot of great Reef Equipment companies out there that deserve our business and more coming in every year like ATI .

James

Current Tank Info: I'm expanding my reach
jamesdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2007, 02:20 PM   #341
nctangman
Registered Member

Grim,

I came upon this thread and thought I would ask your opinion.

My situation is this. I am setting up a 375 gallon system in a wall. I currently have LIIIs reflectors (large one) that will use XM 250w 10K bulbs. I would like to add actinic lighting. I am considering getting the 2x39w 36" T5 Tek Retro Kit from Sunlight Supply. My main goal for the actinics is mainly aesthetics and to promote some coralline algae growth. I am only keeping some LPS corals(torchs, frogspawns, rose anenome, and 1-2 maxima clams).

The width of the port hole is 25.5 inches. I was considering 24" lights to fit within the port hole, but other people were concerned that the 24w would not be enough light for the length of my tank (which is 29.5"). However, if I go with 36" lights, there will be overlap of these lights and just concern how much lighting will be lost if these lights are used.

Is the ATI Blue Plus the bulb for me?? What ever bulb I decide on it cannot overpower or "wash out" my MH lights.

If you would like to see a picture of the port holes of my tank, click here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329275@N05/487756991/

I have more pics of my tank on my blog site:
http://project370.wordpress.com

Thanks for listening and I look forward to your reply.

Kirk

Current Tank Info: Installing a 375 gallon tank; visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329275@N05 for more.
nctangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2007, 06:20 PM   #342
TandN
Registered Member.

Hey just wondering if all you guys on here that have sps tanks please post some pics of your tank and how long you have been using T5's for.
Thank you
T.

TandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2007, 07:53 PM   #343
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nctangman
Grim,

I came upon this thread and thought I would ask your opinion.

My situation is this. I am setting up a 375 gallon system in a wall. I currently have LIIIs reflectors (large one) that will use XM 250w 10K bulbs. I would like to add actinic lighting. I am considering getting the 2x39w 36" T5 Tek Retro Kit from Sunlight Supply. My main goal for the actinics is mainly aesthetics and to promote some coralline algae growth. I am only keeping some LPS corals(torchs, frogspawns, rose anenome, and 1-2 maxima clams).

The width of the port hole is 25.5 inches. I was considering 24" lights to fit within the port hole, but other people were concerned that the 24w would not be enough light for the length of my tank (which is 29.5"). However, if I go with 36" lights, there will be overlap of these lights and just concern how much lighting will be lost if these lights are used.

Is the ATI Blue Plus the bulb for me?? What ever bulb I decide on it cannot overpower or "wash out" my MH lights.

If you would like to see a picture of the port holes of my tank, click here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329275@N05/487756991/

I have more pics of my tank on my blog site:
http://project370.wordpress.com

Thanks for listening and I look forward to your reply.

Kirk
1 would do 2 39 watt ATI Blue Plus lamps.

Unread 05/16/2007, 07:52 PM   #344
bigfruits
Registered Member

im thinking about doing a shallow tank (12") and using an aquactinics fixture. the reason for my choice is so that i can run 2 of the bulbs for dawn dusk and have them come off for midday and run 3 bulbs during the day. i thinking a 4 bulb system might be too much at this depth for some zoas and softies. let me know if im wrong.

my question is, what 3 bulbs would you run for midday? i was thinking this...

dawn/dusk:
blueplus
actinic

midday:
blueplus
aquablue or aquasun
actinic

let me know what you think. thanks.

bigfruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2007, 09:15 PM   #345
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Should work. For your dayligh system I would use the Blue Plus, Aquasun and Super Actinic.

Unread 05/21/2007, 07:11 AM   #346
Lcattin
Registered Member

I've been reading with great interest about the different bulbs. My main problem now is heat buildup. I have one 175 MH over my 65 gallon tank and the temp ranges from 80 at night to 84 during the day when the light is on. I do have 2 4" fans running on the canopy 24/7. Can I reduce the heat by switching over to VHO's or T5's? I like the idea of the VHO's as the URI's have built in reflectors. What's your take on this one?

Lcattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2007, 11:51 AM   #347
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

T5's are a WAY better option than VHO's, less heat, less power usage and more light into the tank.

Unread 05/21/2007, 12:30 PM   #348
Lcattin
Registered Member

Sorry to keep bugging you but would you go with 4 or 6 bulbs? We have no SPS in the tank now but I think we would like to have a clam. Right now we have 2 clowns, 3 toadstool frags, 1 Tonga yellow, 2 georgonians, 1 Anemone, 2 Feather Dusters and a small rock of Zoanthid buttons.

Thanks,
Les

Lcattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2007, 03:51 PM   #349
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

I would go 6. The Anemone and the clam will need some light. If you are careful where you put stuff 4 will work.

Unread 06/10/2007, 03:56 PM   #350
Dyngoe
Registered Member

Halogen for MH shimmer?

Hey Grim (and others),

I LOVE my T5 setup but I'm starting to miss my MH "shimmer". A friend suggested that a hallogen lamp might help, so I put my shop light over my tank for just a moment to see the affect. WOW! Instant shimmer. So, I was thinking of using some small desk-sized halogen lights for accent to my T5s. Do you see any problems with this?

Dyngoe is offline   Reply With Quote