Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 07:19 PM   #1
~RuSh~
Registered Member

BTA basic care...

Any specific water parameters like CA or MG? My last test of Amm - 0ppm, Nitrite - 0ppm, Nitrate 5-10ppm. Haven't tested Ca or Mg recently but I am using Reef crystals... Do I need to test for those for nems?

40 breeder, Viparspectra 165w led...

Unread 04/22/2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I have kept both BTA and LTA for years. I do not find them to be to particular about Cal, Alk and Mag levels as much as these parameters remaining stable at whatever level you keep them at. More than likely you will want to keep either LPS and/or SPS corals as well so measuring and learning to keep these parameters stable should become part of your maintenance routine. I find proper lighting and occasional feeding to be more important. I have a 40 breeder with basically the same LED light you have and it will be just fine. Watch your nitrates! Some nitrates are ok. Over 10 ppm can be a problem. I kept my nems in a 135 24" high for years using the same 165 w LED lighting. The 135 has since been updated to a 220 gallon DT at 25" high using the same lights. Both my BTA and LTA are very happy in the new system.

One happy LTA.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps

Last edited by Dean Ladd; 04/22/2018 at 08:19 PM.
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 01:09 PM   #3
~RuSh~
Registered Member

How high do you hang your light above the tank?

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:32 PM   #4
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RuSh~ View Post
How high do you hang your light above the tank?
8 inches from the water surface. That is with a 25" high tank and I have 4 over that tank hanging front to back not end to end. On your 40 breeder I would recommend 10" to 12". 8" over a 40 breeder will not give you much light spread over the ends of the tank. I also have basically the same light over my 40b at 11". I never keep the LTA or BTA in my 40b but I do keep a S Tapetum and it is very happy.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Unread 04/23/2018, 08:39 PM   #5
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Yea I have mine suspended at 11 inches right now... thanks for your reply.

Unread 04/23/2018, 08:40 PM   #6
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Do you an opinion on these?
https://www.ebay.com/p/RARE-Bubble-T...d=392009656927

Unread 04/23/2018, 09:01 PM   #7
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
I wouldn't have an opinion but they look good, when I by from ebay I look at the Feedback and this seller has pretty good feedback. Also note that Live Aquaria has RBTA on sale in ther weekly sale section for $69.99. Order over $99 and next day shipping is free. I realize LA is a little bit higher price but I can tell you LA has a great guarantee.

Unread 04/24/2018, 03:17 PM   #8
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Actually that price is for a 3 pack. So I would be getting three different bta's. They allegedly select three different strains so you get some variety. So that's a slightly better price even with shipping of 35 dollars.

I think I might do it. I'll keep you updated.

Unread 04/24/2018, 03:20 PM   #9
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually that price is for a 3 pack. So I would be getting three different bta's. They allegedly select three different strains so you get some variety. So that's a slightly better price even with shipping of 35 dollars.

I think I might do it. I'll keep you updated.
Looking forward to an update.

Unread 04/25/2018, 06:45 PM   #10
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Quick question for you guys, I received a message from the vendor and he recommends turning all pumps off for 24 hours? That seems a bit excessive to me but if that's the norm then I guess I'll do it. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this?

Unread 04/25/2018, 06:51 PM   #11
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

The concern is due to the anemones moving around until they settle into one spot that they are happy with. Anemones are quite mobile. It is not uncommon for an anemone to wonder into a power head or pump. The results is chopped up anemone. Some people will go as far as build pump guards to keep anemones out them.

Unread 04/25/2018, 07:10 PM   #12
Reefstart
Registered Member

Quote:
Quick question for you guys, I received a message from the vendor and he recommends turning all pumps off for 24 hours? That seems a bit excessive to me but if that's the norm then I guess I'll do it. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this?
I would say it is more of a concern to turn off powerheads and not ALL pumps. You can rarely turn ALL circulation off for 24 hours without having some type of bad reaction. I have never turned everything off, just powerheads. That and planned placement of the nem has given me good results

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reefstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 07:41 PM   #13
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Ok yea that makes sense. I wouldn't mind turning the power heads off for that amount of time, but yea I thought it was a lot to have the return pump off for that long.

Unread 04/26/2018, 07:12 AM   #14
~RuSh~
Registered Member

How about lighting? Right now I have a timer to come on at 2pm, and turn off at 10pm. Nothing in the tank though so I can adjust that to whatever. Also power settings? Thanks in advance. They should be arriving today!

Unread 04/27/2018, 12:01 PM   #15
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Update - I received the nems yesterday. Got them unboxed acclimated and set into three separate spots that I thought would suit them. So far (as of this morning before I left for work) they have not moved. All three are bubbled up and look good. They are maybe a tad bit smaller than I was imagining in my head but they are healthy and have great color. I still have my power heads off and I'm wondering how you guys cover yours? Or if you do? Right now I just have my return pump running but I don't want to do that for too long as my diatom algae phase is heating up. Any advice is appreciated. I'll post pics a bit later.

Unread 04/30/2018, 06:56 PM   #16
manilaboy1vic
Registered Member

my btas dont seem that particular about water qaulity.. i have neglected my tank and my btas seem fine.. the rose are not growing much, but they aint dying either..

i just did a massive clean up... hopefully the rose will grow.. it split a while back cuz i kept feeding it..

i also have a green bta, which is now 4 or 5... nems.. they all survived my neglectful tank maint..

im back on the program tho..

manilaboy1vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 03:33 PM   #17
~RuSh~
Registered Member

4/30/18

The tank is in the beginning of the diatom algae phase. The rocks are turning brown and there is brown algae accumulating on the power heads and loc line and overflow. It's not bad right now but I did forget how annoying it is. Hopefully it won't last too long. Skimmer is skimming well, and I need to empty it about every 5 days or so. Not really a thick skim yet, mostly still light green and watery.

Fish are doing great. Since the addition of the damsels the community feel is palpable. All of the fish move about a lot more now and I see the blenny more often than ever. I did notice one of the three damsels had some serious nips in his tail which i did expect. I am watching closely though as none of these fish went through quarantine. I still don't feel really comfortable with food yet. I have been feeding primarily NLS pellets but I think I'm going to order some different stuff and just present a variety to them. They do take to spirulina infused brine shrimp, but I don't want to feed that regularly. I'll grab some PE mysis shrimp, and find a good staple for them.

BTA Update - The bubble tips have been doing well so far. I bought them off eBay (buy it now, not the auction) from LAreefs. The package was for 3 bubble tips. All arrived in good condition. Only one really looked irritated. I acclimated them and got them into the tank in places where I thought they could have a good place for the foot to grab hold of the rock like a crevice or a small hole (about the size of a nickel or slightly larger). All three took to the places I had chosen for them and as of today still have not moved. Most of the day they are bubbled up nicely. I even fed them some brine shrimp yesterday. So far they are doing well. I need to do one thing and that's cover the powerhead with a sponge of some sort so if they do bust loose the powerhead doesn't chop them up.

FTS

Bubble tips 1 & 2

Bubble tip 3

Unread 05/01/2018, 04:21 PM   #18
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Looking good! I added x2 36" T5 Actinic Blue and 10K bulbs to help light the ends of the tank that is left a little dark using the 165w LED fixture.

Nems look good. Nice to hear they are staying put.

Unread 05/01/2018, 04:36 PM   #19
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Quote:
How about lighting? Right now I have a timer to come on at 2pm, and turn off at 10pm. Nothing in the tank though so I can adjust that to whatever. Also power settings? Thanks in advance. They should be arriving today!
Not sure if you have seperate power up for the Blues and Whites. I would turn blues on at 10am 100%, then Whites adjusted to color balance, per your taste 30 minutes later. Reverse phase starting at 9:30 pm. I say adjust color based on color balance taste with both blue and whites on. Some like more blue and others less blue. The nems can handle full output of your LED light.

With my lighting I have the T5 come on at 8am. Blue LEDS on at 12 noon and the Whites 30 mins later. Reverse phase starting at 8 pm Whites off at 9pm, Blues off at 9:30 pm. T5s off at 10 pm.

Unread 05/02/2018, 03:36 PM   #20
~RuSh~
Registered Member

I don't. One power cord. So far they seem happy, though I did notice one nem dropped down a few inches to just below where I had placed him. I may consider some T5's as supplemental light as well. But probably not until these algae phases pass.