Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2017, 11:07 AM   #26
ktownhero
Registered Member

What a dramatic post...

This has nothing to do with rimless tanks specifically -- a rim doesn't prevent jumpers, a lid/cover does. It's super easy to get a screen top for a rimless tank and it makes almost no effect on the appearance of the tank.

That said, if people want to run without a lid, I don't care... But I would certainly advise it for obvious jumpers such as certain gobies or blennies. I have always kept open-top tanks (rimmed or not) in the past, only recently adding an Artfully Acrylic top to my Red Sea Reefer because I wanted to keep a diamond goby.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 09:59 AM   #27
smatter
Registered Member

When a fish jumps out of my uncovered tank my pets get a treat. Circle of Life.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 03:28 PM   #28
ktownhero
Registered Member

IMO, the ethics of fishkeeping in general trumps any concerns over using a rimless tank. This hobby is inherently ethically questionable as it's entire premise involves taking animals from their environment and putting them in an experimental container. If you can't stomach losing a fish from jumping then I don't know how you stomach this hobby at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 05:53 PM   #29
kalare
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
IMO, the ethics of fishkeeping in general trumps any concerns over using a rimless tank. This hobby is inherently ethically questionable as it's entire premise involves taking animals from their environment and putting them in an experimental container. If you can't stomach losing a fish from jumping then I don't know how you stomach this hobby at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
So, because (one may believe) that the ethics of pet keeping is bad in general, we should then just not strive to take care of those pets that we have "imprisoned" to the best of our ability? Makes no sense.

What about the ethics of say, using mules for labor to till fields. Some people may call that animal enslavement...so should those farmers than treat those mules like crap or (to draw parallel here) leave them in a pen, with an fence with only an opening on the side of a cliff, such that a startled mule has the chance to mistakenly fall? No, they would fence the whole thing, cause it's smart and is the right thing to do, regardless of any "grey area" that others may or may not think of their mule keeping practices.

kalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 08:24 PM   #30
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
... This hobby is inherently ethically questionable as it's entire premise involves taking animals from their environment and putting them in an experimental container. If you can't stomach losing a fish from jumping then I don't know how you stomach this hobby at all.
And what about the domestication of dogs...why shouldn't they all be returned to the wild!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote