Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2017, 06:29 PM   #1
TAdams
Registered Member

Wink Purchase Options For Mandarin Breeding

I plan on purchasing 2 40 breeders and provide a 30/10 split. Dividing the tank into roughly 30 gallons and 10 gallons for fry. What is the general opinion on this as well as should I use a skimmer and wave makers? What about controllers such as Apex or DA?

TAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2017, 04:13 AM   #2
ginpang
Registered Member

Not sure where you’re heading with this idea ?

Pelagic eggs will be skimmed.
Better stick to regular benthic spawners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 04:16 PM   #3
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpang View Post
Not sure where you’re heading with this idea ?

Pelagic eggs will be skimmed.
Better stick to regular benthic spawners.

Would a powerhead wreck them as well?
I have a 30g and am starting to breed phyto/roti/copes bc i am hoping to get a pair of target mandarins. If they did spawn i only have one of those crappy freshwater filters (ive modified it to have lr/carbon/filterfloss) and a powerhead in the tank. If i put a sponge over the powerhead and had just a small corner filter intake (out of main current/i can also sponge it) would that be doable?
What are other requirements?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

I wasnt planning on intentionally breeding them but hey... if theyre there and its not too much work right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 03:43 AM   #5
ginpang
Registered Member

Clownfish breeders will tell you, Power heads and filters are shut off for the most part of the larvae collection.
And phytoplankton and zooplankton cultures require a lot of work.
And that’s for the category of ‘easy’ fish to breed..to the best of my knowledge mandarins have only been successfully raised in labs.

ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 04:50 PM   #6
kizanne
Registered Member

Not to mention a 40 breeder probably wouldn't be tall enough for their ascension and 30 gallons for a pair is kinda small. You can get them to eat frozen mysid but it's good if you can also offer them live copepods for nutrition. The babies only eat very small copepods like the nauplii of the parvocalanus.

But let me know if you make it work that is my life's ambition is dragonette breeding.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Mandarins are one of my breeding goals for this coming year, I have a spawning pair currently.

Let me start by saying this, mandarins are not that easy to spawn and raise. You cannot under any circumstances raise the larvae with the adults.
Mandarins hatch out of the egg as prolarvae, they have no mouth or eyes upon hatch. They drift in the water column for a couple of days before their eyes and mouth develop for feeding.
Once their eyes and mouth develop they’ll need live food, it can be done with rotifers but with very dismal results. Live pelagic copepods is the best way to go, acartia Tonsa or parvocalanus are the best ones I know of for raising mandarins.

Another thing to consider is grow out time, it takes a mandarin 8-12 months to reach a sellable size. They will also become aggressive towards eachother during this time and need to be separated.

A 40 breeder should be plenty tall for the mandarins to spawn in, they do not need much height.

Current Tank Info: 125gal mixed reef
Clownfishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 08:29 PM   #8
kizanne
Registered Member

My reef tank was 19" tall and my mandarins spawned but seemed to have trouble finishing before running out of height. I'm sure some are quicker that others

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, digital aquatics, mandarins