Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Chris Atkinson
Registered Member

Moving a 75 gal with 30 gal sump for floor replacement?

I am removing carpet and replacing with tile.

My 75 gal display tank on a pine stand with a 30 gallon sump inside the bottom of the cabinet, is one year old and stable with a variety of corals and a few reef-friendly fish.

I am considering removing live rock and corals and putting in tank water in buckets. Catching all critters and placing in bucket of tank water. Pumping out and saving all water in containers. When the tank is empty and sump is empty, I'm considering leaving sandbed (shallow about inch and a half deep at max height spots) intact and not disturbing. Then lifting up and putting furniture sliders under corners, sliding entire tank setup into adjacent room. After this, I am considering returning all contents to the tank and starting it back up for a few days until the tile work is done. Then repeating the process and putting the tank back in the original spot on top of the new tile.

I have had one friend suggest I move everything to one big 100 gal bin and let the tank sit empty. I am somewhat reluctant to do this as it seems like keeping heating, filtration etc. as constant as possible by keeping the tank running will minimize negative impact on livestock.

Questions:

* If I remove all contents and water except 1.5 inch sandbed, am I fairly safe to slide the tank and display cabinet as one unit?

* Has anyone here done exactly as I'm considering?

* Does anyone have any major "gotchas" or "watchouts" that I should consider?

thanks! Chris

Chris Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Sitaga
Registered Member

you are safe to move the tank/stand/sump as long as most water is removed and you keep everything as level as possible during the lift and move. Things to consider are the movement of the sump in the cabinate breaking/cracking your display by pushing/pulling pipes. If you can remove any likelihood of the sump sliding or removing the pump and drain lines it would be better.

I have moved several tanks to new houses without any lose. When moving tanks, most often I lose critters from jumping and corals from rocks shifting. When placing in buckets/bins be sure that nothing can fall while moving the container.

Fish will hide in rocks and could remain there while removing rock. Be sure you submerge the rock as fast as possible to avoid losing a fish. Specifically Wrasse do this. Wrasse can even burrow in the sand, so unless you have accounted for all your fish you made have some left in the tank when you are done. Putting everything in a 100g holding tank for a few days shouldn't be a problem but you'll want to make sure you have good cirrulation and the heat remains as stable as possible. Your fish are unstressed now, so they should be ok for a couple days. No matter what you do, it is going to stress them and you could have lose. I am under the school of thought that moving them less would be better for them in the long run - this means move them to a holding vessle, then back to the original tank only once.

If you have any more questions, please post! Good luck with the move!

Sitaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 06:04 PM   #3
bearpeidog
Registered Member

A timely post

I need to do this to my 90 gallon, which has been running for 6 years. Dreading it.....but I plan on doing exactly what you describe with the exception of moving the sump, stand and tank separately.

I also am leaning towards removing and replacing the sand. I have about 2 inches or so and am afraid of what will be stirred up during the move. Still undecided about that - you'll find people recommend keeping and changing.

Please post back on how you make out. My move is in about 2 weeks so it would be nice to know how things go, assuming you get there first!

bearpeidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 06:44 PM   #4
mc-cro
(macro)

It is a major PIA, but I have moved my reef tank twice, both times over 300 miles. I set up 2 100g rubbermaid stocktanks as temporary housing and moved all the inhabitants into them. I did not keep the sand beds. I dumped them(in retro, I should have just rinsed the southdown, as you that stuff was like gold and no longer available).

I employed all my equipment, just as in the main tank. heaters, skimmers, pumps, calc reactor top off, etc. works just fine for short or long term, within reason. I had a lot of delays on the second move and my corals and fish ended up staying in the tubs for almost 6 months. They were fine up until about the last month or so, then my lack of maintenance is what really caused the demise and ultimate crash of the most of the corals.

they can stay in the tubs just fiine with enough live rock, just treat it like a barebottom and keep up with the maintenance. If you are only looking at a couple of days, its not an issue if you have enough live rock.

Current Tank Info: 60x26x24 AGE 3 sided starphire
mc-cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Chris Atkinson
Registered Member

Thanks Guys!

Chris Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote