Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

Question Dr. Tim's Fishless Cycling

Hello all!

I am going to be using Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride solution and nitrifying bacteria to do a fishless cycle for my new reef tank. I've tried the fish food method before and it was a little slow so I figured I'd give this a go.

My question is that the instructions on the website say to remove the filter socks after dosing the bacteria to remove filter socks as well as turn off any UV, ozone, and the skimmer.

Does that mean I need to remove all of my carbon and media? I just want to be sure since I have not done this cycle before. The skimmer is already off and I have turned off my GFO reactor. I just don't want to mess up the cycle

Thanks guys!

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

GFO won't hurt: it binds phosphate, pretty useless to anything but algae; but the other items actually remove biostuffs that are important to the process of running a bacteria farm: I don't know what 'media' you mean. Reefs depend generally on their sandbed and rockwork for biological processing. Media that has to be cleaned can be a problem. You don't state the size of your tank, which is also very useful to know, as is its ultimate purpose.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Chris918
Registered Member

Hey Sk8r my apologies some additional details for you.

45 gallon JBJ with sump in the back. It came with two caddy's with three compartments that have carbon, a sponge, and some kind of biological filtration media.

I wasn't even going to use them, but I figured some carbon on the tank couldn't hurt until I buy my separate carbon reactor.

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Chris918
Registered Member

Purpose of the tank is to be a softie tank with several reef friendly fish.

Unread 03/31/2017, 06:11 AM   #5
Bloodbuzz459
Registered Member

I tried Dr Tims twice and it never worked for me - no idea why.

The first time I used it with dry rock (real reef) and live sand. After weeks of trying to get it the cycle kickstarted and plenty of emails between myself and their support I was told the live sand is likely the issue.

So, I set up again with dry sand and thought I'd give it another go but still after weeks nothing happened. Support was again very helpful but we didn't get anywhere.

In the end I source some established LR, put that in my tank and dropped in a bottle Biopsira and within days I was cycled and my parameters have been solid ever since.

I can't say for sure if it was the LR or biospire but might be worth a try.

Bloodbuzz459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 06:19 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

Save a few bucks and just go to an ACE hardware store and buy their janitorial ammonia. Dump some in and wait. The bacteria are everywhere and will populate once there is a source for their food(ammonia).

I never understood the idea of adding a bottle of bacteria to quick cycle a tank. Waiting for the cycle to happen is a lesson in patience, which 99% of everyone in this hobby had to learn at some point.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 06:30 AM   #7
Skynite
Registered Member

I'm cycling my dry rocks in a brute container with a Jebao PP-15 for flow. Would a 4-ounce bottle of DrTim's Aquatics one and only live nitrifying bacteria work for cycling my rocks?

Any thoughts about cycling my rocks in a brute container, good or bad? I'm awaiting delivery of my 100 gallon tank and thought I would get the jump on cycling the rock by cycling them separate from the tank.

Skynite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 06:45 AM   #8
FishN00b83
Registered Member

I used it twice on a HT and I never saw ammonia on the sea Chem ammonia badge. It definitely works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/31/2017, 06:59 AM   #9
don_chuwish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynite View Post
I'm cycling my dry rocks in a brute container with a Jebao PP-15 for flow. Would a 4-ounce bottle of DrTim's Aquatics one and only live nitrifying bacteria work for cycling my rocks?

Any thoughts about cycling my rocks in a brute container, good or bad? I'm awaiting delivery of my 100 gallon tank and thought I would get the jump on cycling the rock by cycling them separate from the tank.

Letting the rock mature and develop the beneficial bacteria ahead of time is great practice. Keep them in the dark to prevent any algae getting started. Feed it with something - ammonia or just food. Dr. Tims or BioSpira, either will help. Just be sure to do weekly water changes - even 100% - to export anything bad that is leaching out of the rock. Test for phosphate especially.

Unread 03/31/2017, 07:02 AM   #10
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i used it, and a load of other "instant cycle" formulas when setting up my last tank.

none of them did a thing except lighten my wallet. although i did like the ammonia dosing bottle from dr tims. that was useful, the bottle of snake oil, however, was not.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 09:14 AM   #11
thegrun
Registered Member

I've used it twice to quick cycle some rock for a long term quarantine tank, it worked great both times. I had a complete cycle that then sustained fish in three days both times. I was in the let nature take her course and don't use quick cycle bacteria camp for many years, but honestly I don't see any reason not to use one of the quick cycle product available on the market now. When the quick cycle products first hit the market they were mostly useless, but the makers have come a long way in providing a good workable product. I can't speak for the reason as to why the product didn't work for some, but if I ever need to cycle a tank quickly again I wouldn't hesitate to use Dr. Tim's again.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 09:24 AM   #12
surfingdude
Registered Member

bacteria in a bottle is awsome stuff...used it and never saw a bad spike....I used spiro.

surfingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 11:18 AM   #13
Skynite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_chuwish View Post
Letting the rock mature and develop the beneficial bacteria ahead of time is great practice. Keep them in the dark to prevent any algae getting started. Feed it with something - ammonia or just food. Dr. Tims or BioSpira, either will help. Just be sure to do weekly water changes - even 100% - to export anything bad that is leaching out of the rock. Test for phosphate especially.
Thanks for your suggestions, I didn't know that I should do a complete water change in my dry rock cycle. Also to check for phosphate is something I didn't realize. I was thinking that salinity, ph, alkalinity, amonia, nitrite, and nitrate were the only things I needed to worry about during my cycling. I'll be putting in an order for a phosphate hanna checker. thx

Unread 03/31/2017, 11:34 AM   #14
Skynite
Registered Member

Seachem Stability 16oz is $14
DrTim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria 8oz is $34
Bio-Spira is 8oz is $14

Are they all pretty much the same? Dr Tims is quite expensive. If I have to do water changes during the cycle, do I need to dose it with one of the options above? Is 4oz enough to cycle my rocks? I have a about 50lbs of rocks for a 100 gallon tank. Picture attached.

thx

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aquascaping cropped.jpg (55.8 KB, 56 views)
Unread 05/29/2017, 03:46 PM   #15
Nerayan
Registered Member

Hi guys, was reading your posts and I am literally about to purchase Dr tims for my M60 in an attempt to cycle. I am a proper newbie at this. Would the Dr Tims and ammonia do the trick ?? I have dry rock and dry sand in there ready to go

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nerayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 05:17 PM   #16
Troublekitty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerayan View Post
Hi guys, was reading your posts and I am literally about to purchase Dr tims for my M60 in an attempt to cycle. I am a proper newbie at this. Would the Dr Tims and ammonia do the trick ?? I have dry rock and dry sand in there ready to go

Yes it works. I'm almost done with my cycle. If you read though my thread you'll see what I went through. It wasn't hard just be patient.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2637001

Troublekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 05:18 PM   #17
Nerayan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublekitty View Post
Yes it works. I'm almost done with my cycle. If you read though my thread you'll see what I went through. It wasn't hard just be patient.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2637001
Awesome I will have a read and be extra patient.

Unread 05/29/2017, 05:57 PM   #18
don_chuwish
Registered Member

I think the truth is somewhere in between 'useless' and 'miraculous'. I think you can speed up the cycle, but it somehow didn't seem the same as when I let things naturally develop. More odd water quality issues, algae, etc. QT tanks - absolutely. Proper reef tank - if you really can't wait. But it's best to do it slow.

Unread 05/29/2017, 05:59 PM   #19
Nerayan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_chuwish View Post
I think the truth is somewhere in between 'useless' and 'miraculous'. I think you can speed up the cycle, but it somehow didn't seem the same as when I let things naturally develop. More odd water quality issues, algae, etc. QT tanks - absolutely. Proper reef tank - if you really can't wait. But it's best to do it slow.

Unread 06/03/2017, 05:45 PM   #20
Nerayan
Registered Member

And she's cycling. And now....we wait

Unread 06/06/2017, 03:46 PM   #21
Nerayan
Registered Member

Question: would adding ammonium chloride speed up the cycling process??

Unread 06/06/2017, 03:47 PM   #22
Nerayan
Registered Member

Used this to add the bacteria any thoughts??

Unread 06/06/2017, 10:59 PM   #23
Lsufan
Registered Member

In my experiences with dr.tims & biospira is that it converts ammonia to nitrite very quickly but it still takes forever for nitrite to convert to nitrate. I believe that is why they say that they are ready for fish in a couple of days, because it converts the ammonia to nitrite quickly & nitrite isn't that toxic in saltwater unless it gets extremely high.

In my experiences it may have sped up the overall cycle but if it did it wasn't by much.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 01:02 PM   #24
Nerayan
Registered Member

Is this supposed to look like this? My ammonia has spiked , nitrates high and nitrates are low. What should I expect when cycle is complete. Should I expect algae at all??

Unread 06/19/2017, 01:06 PM   #25
Nerayan
Registered Member

Is that what is called Diatom bloom? Lol forgive my Okie knowledge peeps. Need to know what I am talking about because my 8 yr old is even more keen than I am.

Tags
cycling, dr. tim's, new tank, nitrogen cycle