Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2018, 03:24 PM   #1
ScottF83
Registered Member

Red face Final preparations for 180g

Hi guys

Great to be here on RC!

Bit of background, I have had a year out after a house move resulted in disaster for my Juwel 4ft reef tank. Now I'm in the final stages of a semi-DIY build of a 6x2x2ft aquarium.

It will have a beananimal external overflow with internal low profile coast to coast. Using the triton method for the first time so have a fairly large sump holding about 130 liters. As it's triton, it'll also have a large refugium section (65 liters), large skimmer and appropriate dosing and nutrient control.

I've also setup two 20g QT tanks with a fairly elongated plan for new arrivals of two weeks settling, two weeks tank transfer method, two weeks cupramine (if allowable) and two weeks paraguard. I had ich in my previous tank and am pretty paranoid about introducing anything to this new tank!

Coral will be mainly Sps with maybe some lps and a clam around the bottoms. But lighting is an issue as I only have my 320w Maxspect Razor from previous tank so I'm researching possible upgrades.

I'm going to be using NSW sourced by a local company who come and pump it into the tank!

Been watching a lot of BRS videos on the YouTube; in particular the ULM series. I'll be following their three month plan for cycling.

Trying to narrow down my stocking list. I read a guide that assigned species to groups, and the points to each group. Tank size gives a maximum amount of points to allocate, which for this tank was 17. The below list makes 20 points which is equivalent of 3 anthia sized fish over

Group Z (already owned fish)
2 clowns
1 foxface

Group A
A goby of some description
Yellow headed jawfish
Orchid dottyback
Neon goby

Group B
2 red firefish
4 lyretail anthias
2 Scott's Fairy Wrasse
2 flame dwarf angels

Group C
Bluethroat or crosshatch trigger pair

Essentially added in the order shown especially group by group and as juveniles and together for the tricky ones like the flame pair

Think that's about it. Just wanted to share the above to get your constructive feedback and critique, or if I've forgotten anything!

Thanks guys
Scott

ScottF83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Well, fish wise I have some opinions -- in no particulate order
The Jaw fish may need deep sand for a dwelling
Firefish generally wind up being 1
Unless the Scott's are a pair no way
Neon Goby may be food for the triggers
& they will probably eat the clam

Unread 03/02/2018, 07:49 AM   #3
ScottF83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Well, fish wise I have some opinions -- in no particulate order
The Jaw fish may need deep sand for a dwelling
Firefish generally wind up being 1
Unless the Scott's are a pair no way
Neon Goby may be food for the triggers
& they will probably eat the clam
Okay so nothing too drastic then

Why do firefish end up being one?

The Scott's would definitely be a pair

Neon Goby, clams and Triggers; I read an excellent article about triggers and this particular family seem the safest bet for the goby and clam. I'd use the QT to get them well fed and onto given food, but totally understand that these are the riskiest fish out of the bunch. They'd be added right at the end as a 'crown jewel' probably after 1-2 years (especially given the price of crosshatch triggers!)

Any thoughts on the pure number/mix of fish? Not too much? Or is it well under comfortable volumes?

Unread 03/02/2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Firefish for some reason, do not form a group in our tanks.
They tend to be singular with only guesses as to why.

Unread 03/02/2018, 12:07 PM   #5
ScottF83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Firefish for some reason, do not form a group in our tanks.
They tend to be singular with only guesses as to why.
Ah okay, when I was googling around for fish they kept showing them in pairs! I'm fine with just one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tags
180g, new tank, reef aquarium, stocking ideas