Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/05/2009, 08:01 PM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...6#post14545336

Unread 03/05/2009, 08:01 PM   #2
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by unbreakable
love your corals!!
Thanks Ruben!

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
Unread 03/05/2009, 08:07 PM   #3
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Split

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
Unread 03/05/2009, 08:40 PM   #4
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Yay

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Unread 03/05/2009, 08:48 PM   #5
PnoyReefeR
Registered Member

Congrats

Unread 03/05/2009, 10:10 PM   #6
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Too much teeth!

Unread 03/05/2009, 10:14 PM   #7
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
Too much teeth!
Then mix it up with some pictures

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 03/06/2009, 08:51 AM   #8
token
Registered Member

Great thread, great corals. Love the tank, the concept and the fun you have with your hobby!

Looking forward to more....... (pics)

--Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: 100g and 75g displays, both with 2 x 250w Iwasaki 14k DE, 100g sump, 55g growout, 55g refugium, 20g benthic
Unread 03/06/2009, 11:18 AM   #9
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by token
Great thread, great corals. Love the tank, the concept and the fun you have with your hobby!

Looking forward to more....... (pics)

Thanks token! It is a lot of fun, especially when you can share it with other who have the same interests. Speaking of interests, I see that you listed Japanese Maples. Do you have any issues with keeping them thriving in Texas? I know they don't like extreme heat and they need some cold weather to really achieve those amazing colors. Oh yeah, gardening is another hobby of mine. Just wished I have more time for all of them

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:21 AM   #10
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
Then mix it up with some pictures
Here are a few to commemorate the occasion

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:22 AM   #11
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:23 AM   #12
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

What about the sticks

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 03/06/2009, 11:28 AM   #13
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
What about the sticks
You know, for the life of me, I can't get the colors to come out right taking pix through the front. I'll have to make a camera box for the SLR and do some top downs. All the colors seem to come out washed down. For example, the vivid purple on the Dale's Unknown looks light blue. More practice ahead, I guess

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:30 AM   #14
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

I know they don't look like this in person.

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:37 AM   #15
token
Registered Member

Quote:
Speaking of interests, I see that you listed Japanese Maples. Do you have any issues with keeping them thriving in Texas? I know they don't like extreme heat and they need some cold weather to really achieve those amazing colors.
Some of them do much better than common thinking would lead one to believe. For the most part, it's about the right tree in an appropriate spot.

I think the secret is to avoid types that lend themselves to needing a cooler climate. Small, thin leaves will obviously dry out more quickly than a larger leaf. Even the palest of the lime-green leafed varieties will darken in what serves us for full shade here. Large trees, unless a very common and sturdy type like "Artropurpureum", are sure to suffer in our wind and long-ish period without rain from late July to early (or later) September.

Like our corals, it's about a bit of experimentation and adjustment. We can guess broadly how something might fare, but only digging in and planting it will tell.

Heck, that sounds a lot like life, too....

Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

--Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: 100g and 75g displays, both with 2 x 250w Iwasaki 14k DE, 100g sump, 55g growout, 55g refugium, 20g benthic
Unread 03/06/2009, 11:38 AM   #16
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

OK, stick to the LPS and fish then

I have a top down box that Jorge sent to me, but its to big to fit into my canopy I'll send it down next week if you want.

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 03/06/2009, 11:48 AM   #17
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by token
Like our corals, it's about a bit of experimentation and adjustment. We can guess broadly how something might fare, but only digging in and planting it will tell.

Heck, that sounds a lot like life, too....
Sounds like a life lesson everyone should take to heart!

I personally prefer the dwarfed varieties. But b/c I know they don't fare particularly well in our intense sun and blazing summers, I only have one specimen in a semi shaded area of our yard. It's doing fairly well going on 10 years. I wished I could keep more of them. But just like putting the wrong type of animals in our tanks and risking their health, I chose to experiment with only one. I was in heaven when I visited the DC National Arboretum years ago. Something else I would love to keep are the flowing fruit trees.

Unread 03/06/2009, 11:51 AM   #18
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:

I have a top down box that Jorge sent to me, but its to big to fit into my canopy I'll send it down next week if you want.

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot and see how it fits my camera. Thanks! Do you still have my address?

Unread 03/06/2009, 12:04 PM   #19
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot and see how it fits my camera. Thanks! Do you still have my address?
I have to check in the garage if I still have the box from shipping. Just shoot me it again in a PM or email. Thanks

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 03/06/2009, 12:11 PM   #20
PnoyReefeR
Registered Member

Quote:

Unread 03/06/2009, 12:16 PM   #21
spleen93
crabby hermit

beautiful clowns, Kenny, and congrats on the split! I'm a big fan of the naked false percs that ORA breeds but we never see them here.

"Put that in your Mag Drive and smoke it." - jnarowe
"Beware of the banter" - mpoletti
"Now I know that some things are just out of our control and we should enjoy the good parts as much as we can." - pookstreet
Unread 03/06/2009, 12:38 PM   #22
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by reeferpnoy

Unread 03/06/2009, 12:39 PM   #23
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
beautiful clowns, Kenny, and congrats on the split! I'm a big fan of the naked false percs that ORA breeds but we never see them here.

Thanks M! Are they not allowed there or the stores just don't get them? They are pretty cool. I think someone is selling a pair in the SoCal forum

Unread 03/06/2009, 02:16 PM   #24
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Reverse Watermelon family portrait!

Unread 03/06/2009, 02:34 PM   #25
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Nice shot showoff

c.) Why chase numbers?
Closed Thread