Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2017, 09:19 PM   #3526
drew930
Registered Member

Can you runs these off Mac yet ? Or do you just control like by the box it comes with with the timers...

Unread 01/24/2017, 09:30 PM   #3527
timnem70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logzor View Post
See my post above removing reflectors, no official response from ATI yet. I think it could help some users with this issue.
May void any warranty. Use caution, if you remove any part or modify in any way if you've got an issue you're screwed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 06:01 AM   #3528
vikz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew930 View Post
Can you runs these off Mac yet ? Or do you just control like by the box it comes with with the timers...
I use a mac but run parallels as the software is for windows only.

vikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 12:01 PM   #3529
Livinlocal619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoyPerth View Post
Well after posting this back in April 2016 and ATi agreeing to replace reflectors free of charge, i finally recieved my replacement yesterday 19th Jan 2017....Just a casual 8 months later. ATi sure do customer service right!

Wow, this single post changes my mind about buying a pm, thank you

Livinlocal619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 12:12 PM   #3530
MadCityReefer
Registered Member

Love my light had for 1.5 years never any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadCityReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 12:16 PM   #3531
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlocal619 View Post
Wow, this single post changes my mind about buying a pm, thank you
If you read this forum start to finish you will still not know if it is worth buying this fixture. Trust me it is one positive and a followed negative.
I would love to think different, as I would like to get one for my new tank. I think most would agree that the leds are too much money for low quality/repeated issues with the fixture.
Paying $700 for a 60" sunpower wouldnt get me so upset about fans being loud/needing replacement often. Now a $2400 unit with poor customer care would make me climb up walls angry.

A Sunpower with reefbrites for canopy users would be a better option, and in my case, an led T5 bulb for pop/dusk and dawn would be sufficient.

The use of white/red leds with this fixture is way overkill and not needed since the T5's offer plenty of light, unless one has a tall (24"+) tank

Unread 02/04/2017, 10:43 PM   #3532
Livinlocal619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
If you read this forum start to finish you will still not know if it is worth buying this fixture. Trust me it is one positive and a followed negative.
I would love to think different, as I would like to get one for my new tank. I think most would agree that the leds are too much money for low quality/repeated issues with the fixture.
Paying $700 for a 60" sunpower wouldnt get me so upset about fans being loud/needing replacement often. Now a $2400 unit with poor customer care would make me climb up walls angry.

A Sunpower with reefbrites for canopy users would be a better option, and in my case, an led T5 bulb for pop/dusk and dawn would be sufficient.

The use of white/red leds with this fixture is way overkill and not needed since the T5's offer plenty of light, unless one has a tall (24"+) tank

The biggest reason I was referring to was the customer service. Eight months to send a replacement out is rediculous

Livinlocal619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 11:05 PM   #3533
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlocal619 View Post
The biggest reason I was referring to was the customer service. Eight months to send a replacement out is rediculous
Agreed, it is insane. If we are talking some small, cosmetic then we could understand debate from ATI back and forth with the customer. Now the burnt to crisp reflectors...terrible

Unread 02/04/2017, 11:24 PM   #3534
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

One thing to remember is is that for every negative we see here, there are dozens that never have a problem. What's the old study? If someone has a negative experience they tell like 15 people on average. If they have a positive experience, they tell 3.

We're on a forum where people come to find help.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 11:32 PM   #3535
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
One thing to remember is is that for every negative we see here, there are dozens that never have a problem. What's the old study? If someone has a negative experience they tell like 15 people on average. If they have a positive experience, they tell 3.

We're on a forum where people come to find help.
Agree, good point.

Unread 02/04/2017, 11:42 PM   #3536
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Agree, good point.
I know there have been issues with the LED Powermodule. Specifically, ballast failures. However, I've yet to find a product in this hobby that doesn't fail at some point. There are only a few I can think of that are true workhorses: Eheim 1260/1262 and some Tunze powerheads. Maybe the original MJ1200? That's for another thread though

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 02/05/2017, 10:12 AM   #3537
westreef
Lost as usual

Quote:
I know there have been issues with the LED Powermodule. Specifically, ballast failures. However, I've yet to find a product in this hobby that doesn't fail at some point. There are only a few I can think of that are true workhorses: Eheim 1260/1262 and some Tunze powerheads. Maybe the original MJ1200? That's for another thread though
I agree. Tunze ATO is very reliable also.
One comment is that the customer service of ATI has a lot of room to improve.

Just come back from 18 days vacation. No failure in all equipment and all corals are doing fine, just some brown algae on rocks and sand -- lucky me!

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 10:29 AM   #3538
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westreef View Post
I agree. Tunze ATO is very reliable also.
One comment is that the customer service of ATI has a lot of room to improve.

Just come back from 18 days vacation. No failure in all equipment and all corals are doing fine, just some brown algae on rocks and sand -- lucky me!
When Reefgeek was around, they were the best ATI customer service. I thought the old Reefgeek owner became ATI North America but the service didn't follow.

Unread 02/05/2017, 11:24 AM   #3539
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
When Reefgeek was around, they were the best ATI customer service. I thought the old Reefgeek owner became ATI North America but the service didn't follow.
Did Greg become ATI North America? If so, the service certainly didn't follow. I didn't have a great experience with them resolving my issue

tbone28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 11:26 AM   #3540
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
Did Greg become ATI North America? If so, the service certainly didn't follow. I didn't have a great experience with them resolving my issue
I thought that is what happened but am not positive

Unread 02/08/2017, 07:11 PM   #3541
Retzius
Registered Member

Part of the club now, should have my fixture Friday!

Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 02:17 AM   #3542
marthin
Registered Member

UK here and after getting my unit, the less were random.. in fact that light was random, so a new controller were shipped. Quickly, so good customer service. Then the Led's were still not working as well as a fan that wouldn't come on. The unit is running HOT!! i was tempted to do a video how to fry an egg on it (actually not kidding) and the T5's are not lasting nearly as long as in my sun powers. (I have every single sun power from past upgrades)
They fixed the led but not the fan, it's 18 months down the line and I would seriously not buy this unit if you have alternatives.
This was coming from someone who swore by ATI units.. yes, the unit produces a HUGE amount of light, but the hot running, poor customer service and cost of more frequently replacing the tubes are not worth it.
if the electricity goes off, I loose my clock setting. This was a huge issues when your working away from home. Yet, I was told that the seller has a PM hybrid that retains it's clock..
Due to issues I have lost many a coral and anemone and I'm still angry that ATI could not fix a freaking fan, cause it was sold to be on the basis that it ws temperature controlled.. I would love to have noisy fans, but my fans is so silent, cause they don't work... rant over.
I would love to love this unit, but in all fairness, I'm counting 50 plus times that i recommended people to spend their money on something that is less problematic.

never thought I will say it, but I miss my halides

Last edited by marthin; 02/12/2017 at 02:18 AM. Reason: not finished writing
marthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 10:22 AM   #3543
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthin View Post
UK here and after getting my unit, the less were random.. in fact that light was random, so a new controller were shipped. Quickly, so good customer service. Then the Led's were still not working as well as a fan that wouldn't come on. The unit is running HOT!! i was tempted to do a video how to fry an egg on it (actually not kidding) and the T5's are not lasting nearly as long as in my sun powers. (I have every single sun power from past upgrades)
They fixed the led but not the fan, it's 18 months down the line and I would seriously not buy this unit if you have alternatives.
This was coming from someone who swore by ATI units.. yes, the unit produces a HUGE amount of light, but the hot running, poor customer service and cost of more frequently replacing the tubes are not worth it.
if the electricity goes off, I loose my clock setting. This was a huge issues when your working away from home. Yet, I was told that the seller has a PM hybrid that retains it's clock..
Due to issues I have lost many a coral and anemone and I'm still angry that ATI could not fix a freaking fan, cause it was sold to be on the basis that it ws temperature controlled.. I would love to have noisy fans, but my fans is so silent, cause they don't work... rant over.
I would love to love this unit, but in all fairness, I'm counting 50 plus times that i recommended people to spend their money on something that is less problematic.

never thought I will say it, but I miss my halides
Wow, that sucks. Would you say is best to stick with sunpower then? Im about to pull the trigger for an upgrade future tank

Unread 02/12/2017, 10:28 AM   #3544
marthin
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, that sucks. Would you say is best to stick with sunpower then? Im about to pull the trigger for an upgrade future tank
It's a personal choice. There are a ton of beautiful tanks out there with hybrids and many that is not.

i wouldn't again and is looking at alternatives at the moment.

marthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 12:33 PM   #3545
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
After having had both, I'd take a stock Sunpower any day. I always felt the self controlled fans brought in too many variables that could fail.

My ATI LED Powermodule had issues from day one but I resolved them. After that, I never had another issue with mine. I only had it about 6 months I think.

With the new E5 bulbs, I think the standard Sunpower is a great way to go. Personally, if my Gmann MH/T5 fixture has any issues or bulbs become hard to find, I'm going with a 6 bulb Sunpower. 4 T5s and 2 E5s. Sleek, easy to run, proven performance.

Unread 02/12/2017, 12:35 PM   #3546
westreef
Lost as usual

I have been asked the same question whether one would buy this unit, and my answer has been the same -- it is a fantastic fixture but not too reliable and the customer service has a lot of room for improvement. With such an expensive unit, we deserve better. There are many alternatives to choose.

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 01:27 PM   #3547
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
After having had both, I'd take a stock Sunpower any day. I always felt the self controlled fans brought in too many variables that could fail.

My ATI LED Powermodule had issues from day one but I resolved them. After that, I never had another issue with mine. I only had it about 6 months I think.

With the new E5 bulbs, I think the standard Sunpower is a great way to go. Personally, if my Gmann MH/T5 fixture has any issues or bulbs become hard to find, I'm going with a 6 bulb Sunpower. 4 T5s and 2 E5s. Sleek, easy to run, proven performance.
I gotta tell you, finding lighting for my next tank has been hard. Ive ran leds, mhs and T5's.
I cant run T5s without the led for supplementing, I really like the pop for dusk/dawn. I am set on the T5's as main source of lighting, I love what it does for the sps colors. I just need a bit of blue leds for aesthetics/night viewing.

The Spectra MH/T5 looks nice but it is an oven. I will regret it in the summer...

My issue is, there are NO hybrid fixtures out there worth the try... the powermodule is the best choice, but this thing seems like a pandora's box, youll never inow what is going to happen with your unit. To me it seems like a poor design with heat issues. For the money way more is expected.

I have a regular Sunpower 6x39 w and love it. Looks are good, no heat issues, excellent par, excellent spread. Forget dimmeable, I know better by now.
I am OCD with detail so theres no way I would add reefbrited to a sleek T5, IMO looks like a horrible DIY project at the end.

PAc Sun seems ok, but ive read/heard bad stories about that company without going into detail, Im def sticking to another US distributor.

My last resort is indeed an 8x80w sunpower with 2x E5X blues... I contacted Euroquatics and they said they are finishing some last distribution issues and should launch them. That would be the salvation of the people looking for a T5 light with led supplementing.

Last edited by ReefCowboy; 02/12/2017 at 01:32 PM.
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 01:29 PM   #3548
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I gotta tell you, finding lighting for my next tank has been hard. Ive ran leds, mhs and T5's.
I cant run T5s without the led for supplementing, I really like the pop for dusk/dawn. I am set on the T5's as main source of lighting, I love what it does for the sps colors. I just need a bit of blue leds for aesthetics.

My issue is, there are NO hybrid fixtures out there worth the try... the powermodule is the best choice, but this thing seems like a pandora's box, youll never inow what is going to happen with your unit. To me it seems like a poor design with heat issues. For the money way more is expected.

I have a regular Sunpower 6x39 w and love it. Forget dimmeable, I know better by now.
I am OCD with detail so theres no way I would add reefbrited to s sleek T5, IMO looks like a horrible DIY project at the end.

PAc Sun seems ok, but ive read bad stories about that company without going into detail, Im def sticking to another US distributor.

My last resort is indeed an 8x80w sunpower with 2x E5X blues... I contacted Euroquatics and they said they are finishing some last distribution issues and should launch them. That would be the salvation of the people looking for a T5 light with led supplementing.
Nanobox retro? Keeps the fixture looking stock and better control over the LEDs. Cheaper than an LED Powermodule and probably better built to be honest

Unread 02/12/2017, 01:39 PM   #3549
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Nanobox retro? Keeps the fixture looking stock and better control over the LEDs. Cheaper than an LED Powermodule and probably better built to be honest
Not a bad choice at all, heard it is a good option. Im just curious as to how these E5x's will turn out. If they are dimm just s tad better than the prefious E5's, I might consider the nanobox... if they put out ok light(noticeable), then Im set.
I hear with the nanobox one can also galvanize the fixture?
Any colors available? I figure you would know as you know T5

Unread 02/12/2017, 01:47 PM   #3550
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Not a bad choice at all, heard it is a good option. Im just curious as to how these E5x's will turn out. If they are dimm just s tad better than the prefious E5's, I might consider the nanobox... if they put out ok light(noticeable), then Im set.
I hear with the nanobox one can also galvanize the fixture?
Any colors available? I figure you would know as you know T5
I don't know everything Dave can do but I've heard nothing but praise for his work. His website has a lot on it and I know he responds well. I think he can do just about any color you want for a price. Might be a great option for you