Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2018, 09:58 PM   #151
Wally.B
Registered Member

Anthia Update (2nd One Dies) There is hope for the 3rd (Thanks to Tenurepro's Insight and a My Tiger Copepod Farm)

So when the First Anthia Died right away, I though it was rough treatment getting netted at Fish Store.

However today a 2nd one died.

I show Photo to Tenurepro and right away he said "looks thin, died of starvation".

That got me (An Anthia Newbie) to get cracking reading up Eatting Habbits, and diet of Anthias.

I originally heard that they need to eat often, so I thought that meant standard Food.

I tried all kinds of foods, and fish were eating in QT, but the Anthia was chasing food, but not eating. He would try some small pieces and spit them out. That confirmed that they were not eating, at least regular food yet.

I found this article that stated more.
https://www.coralreefing.com/anthias-care/
Recommended best starter food would be "Tiger Copepods".

Wow, I have a Copepod Farm full of them for my Mandarin.
I siphoned off a good Portion of Tiger Copepods and dumped it into QT.

HE WENT NUTS chasing food (Maybe Eating, but he never stopped till light went out.
Here is a video.
https://youtu.be/RKcWRQ6HUXY

Any other TIPs from Anyone?

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 10:11 PM   #152
Wally.B
Registered Member

Faith Restored in Neptune Systems (Apex Support) Amazing Response

So I was getting Ticked off that my Apex VDM module arrived DOA New in box.

Ruined my weekend to finish things up and expected a long dragged out return process, since Supplier said strict policy with Neptune System that even new Units need to go thru Apex Support.

At first there was some back and forth question in the Support ticket I raised.
I started getting more upset that this would take forever since their questions seem to point to people that don't know electronics and wiring (which Isn't me).

I posted clear evidence that no problem on my wiring or my understanding.

With this 100% Proof photo of my testing analysis.

Right away, I got a cross ship RMA #,
which means with a $ Deposit (that I'll get back if my unit isn't smashed, or full of water) they would ship me a replacement right away. When I get it and all things work, I ship back the defective one (free Shipping back).

But the Best part is I asked if I could get the Classic Version of the VDM module which is Black to match the rest of my Sump Room BLACK Classic Apex Stuff.

I got a Call from Apex and they said they had one, and would ship it, along with a T-Shirt for the incovieniece.

That made my Day, and a few days delay is worth getting that Black Unit, since I wanted one from the start (but none for sale used)

Cool. Kind of Glad I got a DOA Purchase.

Unread 03/27/2018, 01:20 AM   #153
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yeah, anthias can be picky feeders. Mine is a bit of a different species, a Sunburst Anthias -- He eats bits and pieces of everything, especially eggs.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 12:25 PM   #154
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Yeah, anthias can be picky feeders. Mine is a bit of a different species, a Sunburst Anthias -- He eats bits and pieces of everything, especially eggs.
Eggs??? What kind of eggs?

I am starting up a Live Brine Shrimp Breeder. Might work too, since I can't drain all my Copepods (Madarin's Food)

Unread 03/27/2018, 12:32 PM   #155
Wally.B
Registered Member

Workstations (6-Way Setup) A bit more Prepared for the Tank Build.

I have to admit I got caught off guard, Unprepared for the New Fish.
The Fish Sale distracted me.

So I hacked together some flexible options to work on Rock Scape Building and have some Fish QT/Isolation.

This give mes "A-LaCarte" flexibility. I can hook up New Tank whenever I feel ready (Moving Rocks over slowly, and Fish staged)

I'm glad I never throw things out, when my wife keep telling me to.

So NOW I'm going to disconnect the OLD 65 Gal and have it running on NEW SUMP II

What happens I will figure out as I go along.

Unread 03/27/2018, 01:57 PM   #156
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Eggs??? What kind of eggs?

I am starting up a Live Brine Shrimp Breeder. Might work too, since I can't drain all my Copepods (Madarin's Food)
You could up your pod production -- But for the most part think of pods as a treat. Most people's anthias eventually take to Frozen foods, and sometimes flake and pellets.

Unless you're target feeding the mandarin, there should be a good supply floating around, and unless the Anthias refuse to conform, it won't need to be fed directly like that.

I will say when you FIRST get any fish, especially Anthias, getting them to eat is the most important part. All I think non stop is "Calories into fish", I don't worry about overfeeding, I don't worry about polluting my water, I just keep repeating "Calories into fish, calories into fish", and I'll feed upwards of 6+ times per day. When I do this I'll make sure to skim kinda wet to make up for the influx of nutrients.

Which Eggs? Rods eggs, Reef Nutrition R.O.E., V2O Reef Caviar (NOT The "soft freeze" it contains alcohol), OVA.

My Sunburst likes: is partial to V2O Mini Mysis, and Spiralina Brine & Mysis which is fortified with phytoplankton (or so says the package).

Sorry Wally, I'm a wordy guy so it's sometimes easier if I highlight questions or answers, LOL. Too easy to lose answers in text form o.O

That said, question for you! Would you mind elaborating on your pod rearing? I've been looking to do something similar myself but haven't looked into it enough. Some pics and explanation would be great.

Unread 03/27/2018, 10:34 PM   #157
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
You could up your pod production ....

Sorry Wally, I'm a wordy guy so it's sometimes easier if I highlight questions or answers, LOL. Too easy to lose answers in text form o.O

That said, question for you! Would you mind elaborating on your pod rearing? I've been looking to do something similar myself but haven't looked into it enough. Some pics and explanation would be great.

Rakie,
Babble on all you want. It's probably LIGHT compared my LONG & ENDLESS babbles.
and BOLDing does help. I add photos as much as possible, and Title each post.
I hope my efforts to Post Clearly are good enough. Wish someone would comment to improve my posts. Post Less??? Good enough clarity? What could I change to improve?

For me, no worries. I read every word you (and others) write and look forward to more good advice. You seem to be well researched, and have good resources and friends with Everything but the Kitchen Sink (in the reef world).

Too bad I never read your Eggs answer. I went to store and picked up some Reef Nutrition Arti-pods. Boy my other fish went nuts for the stuff. The QT Fish sniffed, but no bites. (YET).

Honestly I have no idea if that Anthias is actually eating. Look like he is darting around to catch food. But the stuff I see floating he isn't swallowing.
Maybe he is eating tiny stuff I can't see.

As far as COPEPOD Farm. I wrote up a thread. (3 years ago, when I started and got traction)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2463026

I've been running one for few years. One bottle of Tigger pods, and I'm on great, great, great, Great grandkids from that same bottle.

I stuggled on first two bottles, but it's actually easy.

This would be my update after doing it for a while:

-> Ideal container size is 2 Gallon Rectangular Glass Tank (LID IT for less evaporation and no contaminants)
-> Don't waste time on heater (not needed).
-> Water changes (I noticed help, if every 3-4 months when Farm get's filthy).
-> Don't remove the sludge each harvest. (Or you will wait long for next batch)
-> Aeration with bubbles (no stone),
-> and (100% for long term success) get the two different Micro sieves that I mention to catch them (180 Micro for mom & dads) (75 for babies). Always put back babies into farm.

Unread 03/27/2018, 10:51 PM   #158
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:

I will say when you FIRST get any fish, especially Anthias, getting them to eat is the most important part. All I think non stop is "Calories into fish", I don't worry about overfeeding, I don't worry about polluting my water, I just keep repeating "Calories into fish, calories into fish", and I'll feed upwards of 6+ times per day. When I do this I'll make sure to skim kinda wet to make up for the influx of nutrients.
That's exactly what I started feeling over the last couple of days.
He's running around all day looking for food. I hope (food) they Pods are there with my Pod dump last night.

But I've been really cautious to not over feed (polute) the small 10G QT since it only has a Trickle type Carbon filter (no sump) which I matured the filter pads in 65G for a week or so.

I am scrambling to re-program my DIY top up machine to do auto water changes in QT (which will act better than an skimmer to keep Amonia, Nitrite, and all other junk in check).

I also got a bottle of Reef Nutrition Tiger Pods, to re-fresh my farm and some for the QT (Anthias)

I even was thinking your Mandarin point. If I have kept a mandarin for 2-3 years, then that Anthias should be ok once he is in the DT and sump with whatever is keeping mandarin alive.

I KIND OF WISH I delayed on the new fish, to be more prepared, but it's pushing me to get things done. Faster So fine.

For now (tomorrow), I'm going to do what you say.....
Feed often, many things.....and control the Tank pollutants (with Top up Water changer), till Salinty gets to 1.025 (currently 1.022) and in about 3 weeks get the Anthias over to DT (if it makes it that long).

Unread 03/28/2018, 12:11 AM   #159
Rakie
In Memoriam

Your posts are fine Wally. There's a ton of information an nuances in this hobby. Sometimes it's just not possible to be as concise as we'd like!

So since you seem a tad bit worried about your QT --

Some Simple QT Improvements: Bio Media -- if you felt like investing in your QT a lil, I would get some Seachem Matrix and leave it in your sump. Take out a handful whenever you need the QT. Having cycled and extremely porous media laying around never hurts! It would definitely help keep things stable in the QT. And you can get a liter of the stuff for like $12 on Amazon.

Next, you can step up your HOB. I love the Seachem Tidal power filter. It's built with a sicce pump, it has a surface skimmer which helps with the nastiest part of the water, it has a tab to keep your heater so it's not as visibly in tank, and it has an area to fit matrix or other bio-media of your choice.

This is the first time I've ever seen an improvement with HOB filters. Seachem Tidal Filter

The smallest one is rated to 55 gallons (Probably more like a 29g QT) and its like $40.

It may not seem like much overall, but if you're worried about your QT, a small HOB upgrade and some cycled bio-media might be all you really need.

Last edited by Rakie; 03/28/2018 at 12:18 AM.
Unread 03/28/2018, 12:38 AM   #160
Wally.B
Registered Member

Funny (Took me 20+ years to Realize THIS ) YOU Can't have two Running Overflows on ONE TANK

So I made up enough water to have the 2nd SUMP(Mega Tupperware Bin) for the OLD 65 Tank.

Got skimmer setup and the 10 G mini Sump Baffle box.....
..... (to keep the Crappy Pressure Sensitive RLSS DB8i Skimmer balanced).

DB8i needs to be in 7-8 inches of STABLE water, and not much pressure variation to work stable.
I Kind of hate it. Powerful/Variable Speed via Apex, but not easy to TUNE.

Instead of moving the 1st Overflow Hose over (I thought I could use my Hang-ON Overflow..... And Run Both Sumps for a little while).

I had things ready, and DUHHH!!! It won't work.

The Overflows are at Different Heights, and my Built in Overflow is LOWER.

You can have ONE OVERFLOW, and TWO DRAIN in OVERFLOW to feed TWO SUMP. But I don't have a Double Overflow.

Even if I could get the level I figure it would be near impossible to tune.

Water always flows to the lower / Less Resistance Path.

Not a waste of time, since SUMP II will become my QT tank, and I plan on shutting Down the 10G QT since it doesn't have a skimmer, and 65G will be better for having Rocks and stuff for the NEW FISH.

Small delay again.....

Unread 03/28/2018, 02:56 AM   #161
Wally.B
Registered Member

I figured it out.

I now have three systems:

[1]-> OLD 65 Gal Tank on SUMP II Water Cycling and Getting Cleaning up
------> Took and extra 30 Gallons of water to Setup so Before New SETUP (N=<50)& (P=0.26) should drop more on next test.
---------> Perfect test to see how RLSS Skimmer Works (should be better for 100G Tank when stable)

[2]-> SUMP 1 (Separated-StandAlone) Running in Re-Circulation Mode [Full passthru-FRONT-to-BACK] (GFO/Carbon and EuroReef Skimmer)

[3]-> NEW 110 Gal Ready to Hook up to Sump 1

OLD 65 Gal Tank can be hooked into Sump 1 or Sump2 (EASILY but one SUMP at a time)

To help Polish up Sump 1 Water and 65 Gal Water I threw in Some CORAL SNOW

I AM ALL SETUP TO START ROCK SCAPE BUILD

I AM ALL SETUP TO TRANSFER 10 GAL QT into old 65 GAL Tank

The NEW TANK WILL BE ALIVE by the Weekend

Unread 03/28/2018, 11:27 AM   #162
Wally.B
Registered Member

Darn.

I don't see the Anthias coming out today (at all).

Other fish ok.

Don't see him floating dead like the others, but expect to find him stuck under something.

Lesson learned. Must be more prepared with proper QT and have time to monitor/feed New Hard to acclimatize fish.

Of course, some fish if not all fish are a gamble/risk, but in this case it was 3. (Sale prices cost me more in the big picture).

Another thing that I've done in past, is only purchase fish I see already eating in store.

I am Happy having the Black Cap and Wrasse, and the Large CopperBand Butterfly doing great in Kithchen tank. See him attacking and munching on my Aptasia

Onward.

Unread 03/28/2018, 11:36 AM   #163
Wally.B
Registered Member

Yup. Found him dead.

Maybe I should Dry and Frame him as a lesson learned.

Unread 03/28/2018, 12:37 PM   #164
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Next, you can step up your HOB. I love the Seachem Tidal power filter. It's built with a sicce pump, it has a surface skimmer which helps with the nastiest part of the water, it has a tab to keep your heater so it's not as visibly in tank, and it has an area to fit matrix or other bio-media of your choice.

This is the first time I've ever seen an improvement with HOB filters. Seachem Tidal Filter
I was scratching my head what HOB meant, till I clicked your link.
I Thought "Hang On Overflow Box"

I'm running my 10G QT on a Tetra Wihsper Ex20
https://www.amazon.ca/Tetra-26310-Wh.../dp/B001CD14JA

Was super cheap on clearance. Good enough for HOB's.

I think the NEW 65G QT, with Hang On Overflow and Full Sump will be way better than 10 GAL.

BTW. I did order some Seachem Matrix. I think I also want to Replace/Increase my Ceramic (MarinePure) Bio Media in my Main Sump.

Unread 03/28/2018, 01:01 PM   #165
Wally.B
Registered Member

BristleWorm Starfish (Too many in OLD 65 Gal Tank) Removing Some?

I know I shouldn't be doing this (removing some BIG ONES) since everything I read is "Folks want to have Bristle StarFish in their tanks". They are good filter feeders.

But they are everywhere and their tentacles are unsightly.

I not trying to get rid of them ALL (Probably impossible), but cutting down the population so New Tank RockScape looks a little less Erie/Creepy.

At night they float around all over the place.

Unread 03/28/2018, 05:17 PM   #166
Rakie
In Memoriam

Oh yeah, i missed that with the full 65 going QT -- That's significantly better. So many don't like running a skimmer as it removes meds and all that, but when medicating you can just take the cup off and get all the other benefits of the skimmer!

Quote:
BristleWorm Starfish (Too many in OLD 65 Gal Tank) Removing Some?

I know I shouldn't be doing this (removing some BIG ONES) since everything I read is "Folks want to have Bristle StarFish in their tanks". They are good filter feeders.

But they are everywhere and their tentacles are unsightly.

I not trying to get rid of them ALL (Probably impossible), but cutting down the population so New Tank RockScape looks a little less Erie/Creepy.

At night they float around all over the place.
Aww, poor little guys! I have TONS Of them. and I mean T O N S of them. I occasionally broadcast feed free-floating foods (when I get samples) and that causes a huge surge in population.

If you can, pull them out and give them to locals. One of my buddies used to sell them 10 for $10 and couldn't keep up with demand.

By the way.. I'm very interested in starting up a little pod station now.. I read your thread but completely missed -- what do you feed them?

Unread 03/28/2018, 05:40 PM   #167
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
By the way.. I'm very interested in starting up a little pod station now.. I read your thread but completely missed -- what do you feed them?
Ok. I'll won't jank any more Bristle Stars.

As far as Feeding Copepods. Any phytoplankton will do.
Podwer is ok, but I prefer Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast Liquid in a bottle.
Made in California, so you can get it locally.

Just a few drops till water changes to Green Tea Color. Not Super Dark.
In a few days, when they gobble up the Plankton, Farm Tank will go 100% clear again. So time to feed.

If you can get Live Rottifers, then even better. But here they are Super Expensive.

I tried the powder originally, and noticed that with Reef Nutrition, things took of.
That's what they feed their Tigger Pods.
However I haven't figured out why their are RED Mature Tigers and mine are Clear,white. Happy Alive, but not RED like theirs.

I emailed them and they said Add Lighting. Or place near window Sunlight.
I'm raising Albinos in the Dark Basement. (Haven't had time doing lighting for POD Farm)

Last edited by Wally.B; 03/28/2018 at 05:52 PM.
Unread 03/28/2018, 05:47 PM   #168
Wally.B
Registered Member

How I solved the DOUBLE Overflow on 65 Gal Tank (Any Sump or BOTH)

Rakie you are on a Home Run Roll.

When you replied a while ago about your Overflow, you mention a gating valve on your Main/2nd Drain.
You said not to use a Regular Valve, but use a Ball Valve.

I had A big one from Years ago in my Spare Parts.

I attached to the Lower Overflow Hose.

I can control (OVERFLOW SUMP 1 Flow with Ball Valve) to slow it down, and allow water to raise and go to SUMP II hang on Overflow (which is higher).

This way, I can hook up EITHER SUMP, OR BOTH SUMPS to 65 G.

THIS IS ALL TEMP. I really want that 65Gallon Tank OUT OF THAT SPOT. I need Access to Shelves and my DIY Doser/Water Changer.

Unread 03/28/2018, 11:09 PM   #169
Wally.B
Registered Member

★ GENESIS Machine Tuned ★ (Ready to Launch) Initiating TERAFORMING Stage (Beginning Warp Sequencing to Phase III)

Yup things are ready.

I worked on the getting the SUMP water Polished up (GFO, Carbon, WC) and Acceptable (based on it's 40 Gallon Volume, and the Merge with the 110 Gallon Tank)

These are the current SUMP WATER tests , and with Two Volumes Combined to 150 Gallons (My Prediction of Water Parameter for Initial Steady State)

I have to confidence to proceed with Tank Join.

Will start working on Building the Rock Scape (WHAT I ENJOY THE MOST in this Hobby)

SCAPE WORKSHOP is setup:

My GOAL is to create a minimum of 3 SEPARATE Islands.

Back in 2014 when I started my 65 Gallon Tank, it was like this

I pretty well have the same rocks, with a few Small Extra Pieces.

I will go Flatter, Lower, Pyramids to give places for SPS to Grow and Spread. Ed's Advice.

Hoping to use the Acrylic Rods/Glue/Putty to get solid structure, and with Tools be able to Carve out some Caves, and places for Fish to have Comfort and Safety.

Good Flow thru rocks will be also important (no dead spots)

Things will be interesting to have RIGHT Side View of tank (which previous tank never had)

Once I have some progress that things are going well (tank Fully Running, Rocks starting to move in......I start PART III New & FINAL Thread (THE [TANK] BUILD)

May even do something I'm thinking about. Next Thread will be on the OTHER FORUM site (R two R) . (Maybe)
Reason is The Editor is better for posting and that will make it easier for the long Term for this tank Journey.

I hope you all follow along there too.
ANY OBJECTIONS?

Unread 03/29/2018, 03:58 PM   #170
Wally.B
Registered Member

STARTING up 110G Tank (Final Sump Prep Steps) Before Working on Rocks

Rakie I did some reading on Sechem Matrix.

I already have Marine Pure in my Sump, however a fresh Clean media can't hurt.

Also got "Stability" for QT's and future....

I was expecting MATRIX to be smaller Granular type pieces, but larger Pebble Size are nicer.

One bag at At Tank Return. In Sock.
And One bag for Polishing at Return Pump Section.

Sock is submerged so Water flows thru IT, and OUT of IT, OVER TOP (Limiting Mechanical Filtration: Not trapping Pods and Some Good Particulates)

Going to Try the PhosGuard too (not now, but when time comes P creeping up...) instead of the Cheap Bulk GFO I've been buying.

Seachem also has one product PHOS BOND (PhoGuard and GFO), so both can be used together.

Onward to Rocks.....

Unread 03/29/2018, 05:38 PM   #171
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yeah I really like Seachem Matrix, supposedly it has the highest amount of room for denitrifying bacteria. It's also easier to remove than chunks of marine pure.

Unread 03/29/2018, 11:46 PM   #172
Wally.B
Registered Member

1:30 AM March 30, 2018 (Project Genesis) Goes LIVE (New 110G Tank Takes First Breath)

Didn't do a single Rock.
Wanted TANK/SUMP Running First
to handle any incoming rocks debris and die off.

It took me much longer than expect to start up the Tank.
Running Final Wires and Fastening Pumbing Down.
Final Checks too.

The Return Pump came on, and everything Flows thru Sump Flawlessly.

One small problem is the Overflow with just a hole is pretty loud (Lots of air going down). Need to make one of the Up-Side-Down UP Pipes.

Now Tank is Breathing, and Mama Sump is taking care of the Young Thing.

Onward.....

Unread 03/30/2018, 01:18 AM   #173
Wally.B
Registered Member

WaterTests and (Video of First Tank Run).

All my Water Parameter Predictions POSTED above were very Close.
Almost Dead on.

EXCEPT ONE. PO4 Jumped to 0.19ppm (Sump was 0.10 before I add the 110 Gallon of New Water)
I FIgure that is a False Reading since Stuff got really stirred up in Sump.
Will try again tomorrow.

No time for Music, Fancy Editing or Smooth Retakes.
Here is the Actual First TANK Run Video.

https://youtu.be/9MYDZ8Tynts

NOW comes the Most Fun and Enjoyable Part of this Hobby. Rock Scape build.

Will take it slow and easy since this is for A long Time (Majority of rocks [Foundation/Base] will be glued together)

Unread 03/30/2018, 05:47 AM   #174
tenurepro
Registered Member

My Project ★ GENESIS ★ 110G (Miracle) SPS Dream Tank - (II) Build Thread

Quote:
1:30 AM March 30, 2018 (Project Genesis) Goes LIVE (New 110G Tank Takes First Breath)
@ 2 AM, after taking its first, second and third breath, tank’s AI systems developed self awareness and became sentient - all thanks to Wally tendencies to super engineer systems. now we all know why Wally called it project ‘GENSIS’! 🤭🤫

@ 2:30 am, while Wally was asleep, tank’s AI signed up for its own reef central account and YouTube channel - why should the human take all the credit for its beautiful self

@ 3 am, tank messaged me , offering to trade bitcoin for SPS frags... I didn’t ask how the tank got bitcoin. But it’s is apparently ready for SPS despite its human slave’s believe of abstinence till maturity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 10:36 AM   #175
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
@ 2 AM, after taking its first, second and third breath, tank’s AI systems developed self awareness and became sentient - all thanks to Wally tendencies to super engineer systems. now we all know why Wally called it project ‘GENSIS’! ����

@ 2:30 am, while Wally was asleep, tank’s AI signed up for its own reef central account and YouTube channel - why should the human take all the credit for its beautiful self

@ 3 am, tank messaged me , offering to trade bitcoin for SPS frags... I didn’t ask how the tank got bitcoin. But it’s is apparently ready for SPS despite its human slave’s believe of abstinence till maturity
Oh my God, what have I created.

If you read Isaac Asimov's "I Robot"....The "Three Laws of Robotics" were:

1.A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2.A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.[1]

I have programmed a Forth Law into my system.

4. SPS Health, Growth, and Color is the AI systems Primary Goal (if things don't conflict with Laws[1,2,3] )

If you read Isaac Assimov's "Foundation Series", where Hari Seldon developed Mathematical "Psychohistory" predicting the future......I hope the AI (Tank Automation with it's Programming and Logic) and a little help from me THE HUMAN.....Get's some nice SPS to live and grow in this new tank...Putting the Bad Luck past behind me, when I shut down the OLD 65 Gal Tank.

Onward....