Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2017, 10:31 PM   #5426
UncleSalt
Registered Member

So the new delivery date on Formalin is Saturday! Hooray.....

I will say he is a lot more active after the dose of Prazi.

UncleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 01:49 PM   #5427
alton
Registered Member

Glad she is doing better, Prazi can be a wonder drug. And for the most part reef safe.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 09:21 PM   #5428
UncleSalt
Registered Member

How high of a dose can I do with prazipro? I did the initial dose - which he reacted well too - however I still see him shaking his head. The Formalin will be here tomorrow, but I was wondering if I can do a stronger dose (double). I read in several places that you can go 2x or 3x the recommended dose - but want to confirm!

Unread 03/12/2017, 07:29 PM   #5429
pfan151
Registered Member

Day 3 of them being together. There was some chasing the first day. Small one had a couple little nips on the tail. Since then they have ignored each other and are both eating incredibly well. Neither take pellets so far but both gorge themselves on clams, mussels, mysis, and LRS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 05:17 AM   #5430
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSalt View Post
How high of a dose can I do with prazipro? I did the initial dose - which he reacted well too - however I still see him shaking his head. The Formalin will be here tomorrow, but I was wondering if I can do a stronger dose (double). I read in several places that you can go 2x or 3x the recommended dose - but want to confirm!
I dose what is written on the bottle

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 05:31 AM   #5431
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

Regal Angel Primer

Took the plunge. I hope they don't eat my coralssssss, don't worry about my unique pvc in the qt tank, I didn't have a chance to get large pvc so I improvised

Does that look like a indo regal?

ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 05:40 AM   #5432
OrionN
Moved on

That is a blue face Regal from the Pacific, not from the Indian Ocean or the Red Sea.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 04:52 PM   #5433
OrionN
Moved on

After been gone for 5 days, my son taken care of the reef tank for me, and feed the baby Regal, this morning he actively chase mysis and gobble up about 6 right off the bat. IMO, that is a very good sign.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/15/2017, 05:04 PM   #5434
OrionN
Moved on

My 2 inches Regal is doing well. She is eating mysis and flakes. Actively chase down food in my QT system. This system if full of sponges, Microalgae and pods. She is also picking on the rock and no longer afraid of me. Anyway for the last 2 days, looking at her from above show that she is having a full bulging stomach.
She is hiding in a cave but I have my heater in this cave. When ever I feed, if she is not out I just jiggle to heater and out she go. I also have a breeding pair of Percula in this tank. I am really glad that this one is doing well.

Unread 03/15/2017, 05:34 PM   #5435
OrionN
Moved on

Here is my little guy just now. He is smaller than my mama-clown

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyRegal2017031501.jpg (93.7 KB, 718 views)

Unread 03/15/2017, 10:41 PM   #5436
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Here is my little guy just now. He is smaller than my mama-clown

Is that a Maldives from LA?

My little Maldives regal has grown a lot - at least an inch - in the 300 days I have him now. This is the size to get them at...

How is the blue Philippine regal doing? Mine has a really nice color and looks overall blue. One day I may try to pair it with my smaller Bali regal. My only concern with the Bali is that it is a quite dominant and aggressive for a regal. The Philippine is much more mellow. Same goes for the Sumatra pair.

My Sumatra pair starts behaving like a pair now. Hardly any chasing anymore and a lot of submission display from the smaller.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 04:51 AM   #5437
OrionN
Moved on

Yes. She is the one I got from LA about 2 weeks ago. The blue Philippine Regal I got from you is doing great. Fat and eat everything. Now I have two blue chest and two yellow chest. Except in my DT there is a blue and a yellow. In my other system I have a blue and a yellow in my QT system. I cannot catch the one of the two Regal from my DT. I will attemp to do this over the next several weekends. My best chance is trapping. If I am able to trap them then I can pair them properly.
All my Regal are mellow. I thin it will be easy for me to pair them but I don't want to have two mismatched pairs.

Unread 03/16/2017, 05:49 AM   #5438
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
I think it will be easy for me to pair them but I don't want to have two mismatched pairs.
Is a mismatch a major problem? Many Angels have M/F color differences... if you're thinking to breed them, the 'Orion' hybrids might be very desirable!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 05:58 AM   #5439
OrionN
Moved on

I certainly don't have the resources to breed them. There are thinking that the blue chest and yellow chest Regal angels should be different species. Certainly their behavior are different. While pairing them may be possible in aquarium, and they are likely have fertile off-springs, I don't want mismatched pairs.
Just my opinion I guess. I have raise hybrid before, namely the SnowOnyx pictured above was one of my babies. Father is a Snowflake and mom is a Rod's Onyx. Very beautiful fish.

Unread 03/16/2017, 06:52 AM   #5440
UncleSalt
Registered Member

My little guy is doing well too! Still haven't been able to formalin dip him - why you ask? Because it still hasn't arrived. Fedex just shows "Pending" - and when I call Pet Solutions, they say they've reached out to Fedex and will let me know when they hear something - a bit frustrating. Mine is still very shy, rarely wants to come out of his tube except when there is food. I have maintained doses of prazipro and water changes. I haven't seen any head shaking and have seen zero signs of ich.

Contemplating skipping the formalin, but I know its a bad idea.

Unread 03/16/2017, 03:50 PM   #5441
carrots
Registered Member

UncleSalt, I'm glad to hear your Regal has stopped the head shaking. If you skip the formalin make sure you monitor him in the QT a few weeks longer. IMO it's better to keep it in a QT, monitor and fatten him up for longer period of time then using strong chemicals on it and rushing it into a display tank. Just my 2 cents

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 04:01 PM   #5442
OrionN
Moved on

^^^
I agree with carrots. Regal Angels are delicate enough that keeping her comfortable is important. The last on I lost because she would not eat, keep hiding in her cave. This time I put the heater in there so I can induce movement to get her out of the cave when I feed.

Unread 03/16/2017, 05:10 PM   #5443
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
^^^
I agree with carrots. Regal Angels are delicate enough that keeping her comfortable is important. The last on I lost because she would not eat, keep hiding in her cave. This time I put the heater in there so I can induce movement to get her out of the cave when I feed.
Well mine also does not like to leave the cave. In fact, unless a shrimp goes in there, she tends to pass them up. She eyeballs the bejesus outta them, but unless they get close.....nope!

Also, the QT is starting to get a little dirty. I keep up with lots of water changes, but there is a odd brown stuff growing on the bottom. There is one larger live rock in there as well.

Unread 03/16/2017, 06:28 PM   #5444
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Well mine also does not like to leave the cave. In fact, unless a shrimp goes in there, she tends to pass them up. She eyeballs the bejesus outta them, but unless they get close.....nope!

Also, the QT is starting to get a little dirty. I keep up with lots of water changes, but there is a odd brown stuff growing on the bottom. There is one larger live rock in there as well.
Does it look like algae? See if you can scrape it off with the siphon hose...

How many times a day are you feeding her?

Unread 03/16/2017, 08:21 PM   #5445
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:

Have you tried the clams? They seem to get them eating more aggressively. I put mine in the display as soon as TTM, prazi, and formalin were done. It was eating ok but it great at that point. Once it got in the display it really starting eating well even with a bit pestering from my other regal for he first day or two. It will almost take food out of my hand at this point.

Unread 03/18/2017, 11:16 AM   #5446
OrionN
Moved on

My Reagal is eating flakes like there is no tomorrow. I was just standing over the tank and add flakes a pinch at a time. The three fishes (Clown pair and the Regal) practically go after the food when it is still in my finger. At the end, I feed flakes and mysis combination and they still prefer flakes.

Unread 03/18/2017, 12:44 PM   #5447
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
... I feed flakes and mysis combination and they still prefer flakes.
I have the same issue with my Sumatra Regal pair. Especially the larger one is a very picky eater. He prefers pellets and flakes over mysis. On top of that he only eats a very specific type of small mysis so at the store I have to check each plate of Hikari mysis to make sure that the mysis in it are the tiniest of the small. Once I couldn't find those and had to take what they had and those picky idiots behaved like I was trying to poison them.

My Philippine Regal is less picky and the Bali and Maldives regals eat whatever they can get.

I found that they all have different personalities.
The little Bali one is not shy like the other and rather aggressive, especially towards the Starcki damsel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/18/2017, 01:06 PM   #5448
pfan151
Registered Member

Both of mine destroy mysis, LRS, and any type of shellfish. Can't get either to take pellets or flakes though. One is a Maldives, and one is unknown from aquatic collection. I assume it is Maldives as well though. I'm going on vacation next month so I really need them to start taking pellets or flake from the auto feeder.

Unread 03/18/2017, 01:35 PM   #5449
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Both of mine destroy mysis, LRS, and any type of shellfish. Can't get either to take pellets or flakes though. One is a Maldives, and one is unknown from aquatic collection. I assume it is Maldives as well though. I'm going on vacation next month so I really need them to start taking pellets or flake from the auto feeder.
Yellow bellies from Aquatic Collection are usually from Sumatra via Bali. And the blue-gray ones are primarily from the Philippines.

As for getting them to eat pellets - I would just set up the auto feeder and let it run. At the same time you should reduce feeding frozen foods to one feeding in the evening. All my guys picked up eating flakes and pellets by watching other fish eating them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 03/18/2017, 01:55 PM   #5450
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

Regal Angel Primer

So I took a chance and put my regal into the DT. I placed him into an acclimation container and none of the fish showed any interest. I let him out in about two hours and he immediately got punked by each and every fish in there including but not limited to Achilles, Powder blue, chevron, and purple. I saw what was happening and turned off the lights.
He settled after a while and this morning he is hanging out by the back wall . He does venture out and the abuse stopped except when we swims out front, at which point the tangs chase him to the back and leave him there. It's much better than yesterday but he is still not "allowed" to roam, even though he tries. Will keep updated

Last edited by ReefPharmer; 03/18/2017 at 02:05 PM.
ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote