Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

Do fish want friends/mates? Well,...

In general, despite the popularity of clown pairs, mating activity in a tank that is not huge can be a problem. The very smallest clown pairs don't bother much. But species larger than perculas, say, become terrors. I gave up my clarkiis, which were claiming 50% of a 100 gallon tank, biting me whenever I needed to reach into the tank, and I mean with teeth, and blood; and terrorizing a blue velvet damsel, which, if you know that type---is like terrorizing a man-eating tiger. They are charming, they are fun to watch, but you have to understand, they will OWN that tank, and unless you have a breeding setup, nothing but snails and algae multiply in a tank. You do not get baby fish. They get eaten or swept away in the filter. It happens in nature, too.

Certain gobies make good mated pairs and don't bother anybody: the shrimp gobies and sand-sifters are like this.

Certain damsels will kill off the competition. They just don't like to share. If they're not together from infancy and with a lot of space, ultimately There Can Be Only One.

Dartfish can exist as pairs, but not as mixed types unless there's a LOT of room. It'll be warfare between the purples and the reds. And often between two reds.

Some other fishes are ok in multiples if there's room enough, which generally means over 100 gallons. But in general, if you think you want to breed, go to that forum on RC and do some reading by people who know the problems and who can help you set up. It is difficult to do. And it requires patience.

Anthias like to be in a group, but again---big tank, a lot of running room. And they require multiple feedings, as I understand. If you're set up for that, you'll be ok.

In general, if you have a notion to get more than one of anything, ask around, and be sure you're setting up with proper conditions and enough room. Remember that a lot of advertising pix are photoshopped and you can't really have mega-herds of fish. Breeding pairs get rowdy and want even more room. And yes, clarkii clowns have cute little teeth. I found them a nice home with a store owner who did want a breeding pair. They don't do it just once, and he was soon awash in baby clarkiis.

Fish in general, to be happy, want to be lords of what they see before them, and master of all the foods in sight. They want a sleeping spot at night that doesn't have sharks cruising through, and they want the sun to come up and a current to bring more food. And they want to swim about without running into trouble or meeting a rival. THAT is a happy fish.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

The last paragraph....WOW...absolutely correct!
Nice post, really enjoyed it....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 09:16 AM   #3
ScottF83
Registered Member

Making me completely rethink my stocking list....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ScottF83 is offline   Reply With Quote