Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2012, 05:55 PM   #51
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddscau View Post
Do you have to quarantine inverts before putting them in an invertebrate only tank?
no inverts dont need to be qt'ed nor dipped. just a simple temp acclimation and then i strongly recommend a slow drip method acclimation then into the tank they go.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2012, 08:29 PM   #52
teddscau
Registered Member

Okay, thanks!

teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2012, 11:16 PM   #53
jolliebrowngiant
Registered Member

How do you do the slow drip method?

Current Tank Info: 110gal 48x32x18 work in progress
jolliebrowngiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2012, 06:48 AM   #54
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

drip method is the same. get an airline tubing with a valve and start a siphon and adjust the flow.
i usually do fish on a little faster drip maybe like 2-3 drops per sec and inverts abot 1/2-1 drop per sec.
double the quantity of water in ur bag/bucket and re-do one more time. some people do 3 times.

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Unread 09/08/2012, 04:46 AM   #55
knight2255
Registered Member

Whats a cheap easy way to filter the qt?

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2012, 07:20 AM   #56
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i have always used HOB filters with cartridges. if u can find cartridges without carbon its great if not then i always managed to get the carbon out of them. Lately i have been using ceramic rings instead of cartridges.

Unread 09/10/2012, 08:41 AM   #57
knight2255
Registered Member

Thanks bnumair, would this work just as well?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2117649

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2012, 12:24 PM   #58
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2255 View Post
Thanks bnumair, would this work just as well?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2117649
Honestly i wouldnt use it due to a simple reason that i dont know what all chemicals were used in pillow stuffing, bleach, color washing chemicals etc.
i have never tried it myself so i cant really comment on reef safe aspect of it.
the proven thing i have used is cartridges or ceramic rings.
but if were 100% sure was reef safe then go ahead i dont see anything wrong with it untill meds with copper get involved. as this filter will absorb some copper and making dosage a bit more difficult.

Unread 09/10/2012, 01:19 PM   #59
mgproudfit
Registered Member

I have all the components for my QT ready to go. My question is, should I set it up now and get my first few fish?

I had ordered my tank, but it arrived via UPS completely shattered, so Im DT tankless for the next 2-4 weeks. If I start my QT now, that'd give me about 4 weeks of QT/observation before my DT will be cycled. Is this ok to do?

-Matt

mgproudfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2012, 02:06 PM   #60
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post
I have all the components for my QT ready to go. My question is, should I set it up now and get my first few fish?

I had ordered my tank, but it arrived via UPS completely shattered, so Im DT tankless for the next 2-4 weeks. If I start my QT now, that'd give me about 4 weeks of QT/observation before my DT will be cycled. Is this ok to do?

-Matt
if you were to get ur DT tank in next 2 weeks it probably will take another 4-6 weeks to cycle thus putting you over 2 months from now. i would setup ur QT to which u have all the components and also cycle it (2-3 weeks).
Once cycled put ur first few fish in there and observe them over the rest of the period awaiting DT cycle. if all this timing works out ur looking at 2-3 weeks cycle on QT while u DT arrives at same time as cycle finishes on QT them put the first few fish in QT and observe over the next 4-6 weeks ur DT gets ready. So i think its perfect timing.
If for any reason ur fish seem to have ich or other parasitic infections u will have to start medication and clock on QT starts over (depending on what type of treatment it is).

Unread 09/10/2012, 02:47 PM   #61
mgproudfit
Registered Member

I've read COUNTLESS hours on setting up a QT and some say to cycle, and others say not to bother. At this point, I genuinely do not know what to believe or what is best practice.

Would I be ok if I throw one of my live rocks into my QT tank? Right now they're all in a big rubbermaid container with a powerhead moving the water around.

Unread 09/10/2012, 04:29 PM   #62
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
I've read COUNTLESS hours on setting up a QT and some say to cycle, and others say not to bother. At this point, I genuinely do not know what to believe or what is best practice.

Would I be ok if I throw one of my live rocks into my QT tank? Right now they're all in a big rubbermaid container with a powerhead moving the water around.
i understand ur frustration but answer of ur question in in the very first post of this thread. if you dont have time to spare and are in need to setup a QT in an emergency then u dont need to cycle a QT tank. there are 2 ways of doing that.
1. you can keep a filter in ur main tank and move it to QT and use ur DT water and setup a QT and its already cycled and ready as filter will take neccessory bacteria with it from DT to QT thus not requiring a cycle.
2. you can just put a QT tank together and keep an eye on ammonia which will increase daily as tank is no cycled thus requiring a lot more attention from a hobbyist and requiring daily water changes in order to keep ammonia 0.
thats emergency way.
in your case u have tons of time on ur hand as of now (as u are still waiting for a tank)so i recommend a cycle approach.
Qt will be cycled in short few weeks and thus u dont need to do anything to it except water changes like a normal tank.
I also strongly recommend a permanent cycled QT so if ever needed to dose copper or medications that require a specific dose level then its a nightmare for hobbyist trying to do water changes daily and keeping up with dosage at the same time (if QT is setup in emergency). In permanent QT you can go without water changes for weeks thus not having to mess up the dosage of medication.

Note: u can help the cycle by adding a few pieces of rock to you QT for week and then take then back to DT and let the cycle continue. A 20-40 gal QT should cycle with in 2-3 weeks.

Unread 09/10/2012, 04:49 PM   #63
mgproudfit
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks for the info!

We decided to go ahead and set up our QT tank. One of our larger pieces of Live Rock was just barely out of the water in the Rubbermaid. We put it in the QT tank and filled her up more for the sake of the LR than anything else. That said, tonight we did our first tests with the API Saltwater Master Test kit and wanted to report back!

pH = 8.0-8.2
Ammonia = 0.0-0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 0.0 ppm
Nitrate = 0.0 ppm
Salinity (temporary reading without calibrating the hydrometer) = 1.025

Thanks for reading & helping out! I haven't posted much, but have been keeping up with the thread & really appreciate all of your all's expertise!

-Matt

Unread 09/10/2012, 06:40 PM   #64
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the info!

We decided to go ahead and set up our QT tank. One of our larger pieces of Live Rock was just barely out of the water in the Rubbermaid. We put it in the QT tank and filled her up more for the sake of the LR than anything else. That said, tonight we did our first tests with the API Saltwater Master Test kit and wanted to report back!

pH = 8.0-8.2
Ammonia = 0.0-0.25 ppm
Nitrite = 0.0 ppm
Nitrate = 0.0 ppm
Salinity (temporary reading without calibrating the hydrometer) = 1.025

Thanks for reading & helping out! I haven't posted much, but have been keeping up with the thread & really appreciate all of your all's expertise!

-Matt
No problem, looks like u are on a great start. throw in a frozen shrimp from walmart sea food section in there for few days that should shoot the ammonia up and then take it out. Tank cycle will begin and then its just a waiting game for 2-3 weeks. keep us posted.
Good luck and happy reefing

Unread 09/12/2012, 04:01 PM   #65
ATLJonathan
Registered Member

I rely on the LFS to quarantine and medicate fish so that I don't have to have a quarantine tank. I know this isn't perfect but it is a lot of work to maintain a second body of water

Current Tank Info: Tank Info: Family Room Mixed Reef: 225g 72"x24"x30" Tall, Office Anemone & Clownfish Tank: 225g 60"x36"X24" Tall, Sump Room Basement 180g single sump, both display tanks plumbed into single sump.
ATLJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2012, 04:49 PM   #66
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJonathan View Post
I rely on the LFS to quarantine and medicate fish so that I don't have to have a quarantine tank. I know this isn't perfect but it is a lot of work to maintain a second body of water
I hate to disagree with you. QT is in my tank in front of my eyes. LFS no matter how good they are, are in this not for fun or hobby they are in a business. As a business owner myself the first rule of business is product in product out.
LFS buy and turn around sell as fast as they can so they can pay bills.
Anyways i have traveled across States and yet to find a LFS that did a true QT like it should be. Most times i see fish fly in boxes and they open bags and medicate them with most likely prazipro and then in they go into tanks for sale.
Even a very reputable vendor (Live Aquaria) they had diver's den that claim longer and better QT measures but also advises to QT on ur own and dont take their QT practices as parasite free or 100% fail proof.

Note: i do agree that maintaining a 2nd tank is hard and some hobbyist dont have room or time or pockets deep enough to maintain two tanks but LFS QT is definitely not on my approval charts.

Last edited by bnumair; 09/12/2012 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 09/15/2012, 08:15 AM   #67
mgproudfit
Registered Member

How often do I need to do water changes in my 10g QT? All levels check out, so I think we're going to get our first 2 fish tonight (pair of clowns). Just wanted to check out the water change situation.

-Matt

Unread 09/15/2012, 12:04 PM   #68
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
How often do I need to do water changes in my 10g QT? All levels check out, so I think we're going to get our first 2 fish tonight (pair of clowns). Just wanted to check out the water change situation.

-Matt
Matt did you cycle the QT like a normal tank. if you did then it probably will get away with once a week 3gal water change, But i would keep an eye on the parameters when u put the first 2 fish as if bacteria is not enough u might see a a very small ammonia spike that would go away in few days and in that time u may need to change few gals. but after that u will be ok with 3gal per week or maybe 4-5gal every 2 weeks.
Remember 10 is a small tank small body of water and qt usually dont have state of art filteration so water changes is the only thing that prevents organics to build up.

If you didnt cycle it then u will have to change water every day to everyother day depending on how much bio load is in the tank. in such situation i will check ammonia everyday and if u see any sign either do large water changes or use products like prime/amqual/ammonolock etc. to neutralize ammonia.

Unread 09/15/2012, 12:47 PM   #69
mgproudfit
Registered Member

You rock. Thanks man!

Unread 09/15/2012, 07:49 PM   #70
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
You rock. Thanks man!
u are doing things the right way.
Good luck and happy safe reefing.

Unread 09/15/2012, 09:55 PM   #71
GratefulReef
Registered Member

looks like i'll be picking up an iron stand that holds 2 10g tanks. One for my cichlid babies, and now one for a QT tank. Prob just do an emergency one though as Ive already got a 75g reef, and 55g freshwater tank running and Im a national greed...oops grid customer. I miss my old municipal elec, I could run my tanks, A/C, 52in hdtv, hot water microwave all day long and pay 50bucks a month...-=( thanks for the info though

GratefulReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 10:20 AM   #72
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulReef View Post
looks like i'll be picking up an iron stand that holds 2 10g tanks. One for my cichlid babies, and now one for a QT tank. Prob just do an emergency one though as Ive already got a 75g reef, and 55g freshwater tank running and Im a national greed...oops grid customer. I miss my old municipal elec, I could run my tanks, A/C, 52in hdtv, hot water microwave all day long and pay 50bucks a month...-=( thanks for the info though
lol... that would be nice to have only $50 per month bill. I have mine fixed through electric company which they call its budget plan.
In this plan they take 12 months history and divide the usage and average the bill. So i pay all year around same total of $295 per month. every year on aniversery they do evaluation of last 12 months again and recalculate the total for upcoming year. it may increase or derease by 10-15 dollars depending on ur usage.

Unread 09/16/2012, 01:29 PM   #73
kgis
Registered Member

When quarantining a sand sifting goby would you recommend putting sand in the tank?
What about if you purchase a goby/shrimp pair? Obviously you can't put the shrimp into a medicated tank but I'm unclear on what would be better for the fish

kgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2012, 01:38 PM   #74
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgis View Post
When quarantining a sand sifting goby would you recommend putting sand in the tank?
What about if you purchase a goby/shrimp pair? Obviously you can't put the shrimp into a medicated tank but I'm unclear on what would be better for the fish
inverts dont need to be QT'ed so shrimp will not go into QT and especially not in medicated tank.
for the goby I prefer bowl method. put a deep bowl of pure silica sand in the QT (before the fish is put in). you can take out the bowl for cleaning the sand when needed, or for replacing the sand if u need to.

Note:The sand must be tested since many 'pure silica sands' contain carbonate contaminates. Take some 1:2 diluted vinegar and add it to the 'pure sand.' If it bubbles it is contaminated with carbonates and not to be used.

Unread 09/16/2012, 07:52 PM   #75
kgis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
inverts dont need to be QT'ed so shrimp will not go into QT and especially not in medicated tank.
for the goby I prefer bowl method. put a deep bowl of pure silica sand in the QT (before the fish is put in). you can take out the bowl for cleaning the sand when needed, or for replacing the sand if u need to.

Note:The sand must be tested since many 'pure silica sands' contain carbonate contaminates. Take some 1:2 diluted vinegar and add it to the 'pure sand.' If it bubbles it is contaminated with carbonates and not to be used.
Thanks for the answer. How deep does a deep bowl need to be?

I'm also curious why you would want to use silica sand instead of the aragonite you would normally used.

kgis is offline   Reply With Quote