Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2018, 01:48 PM   #10001
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Answer to both... stronger scrubbing.

The pods are eating your filter, so I'd scrape weekly in freshwater. Also maximize your lighting and bubbles, and add another scrubber if possible so you can alternate cleanings.

Caulerpa cannot beat strong gha growth because the caulerpa has no turbulent air/water interface to maximize nutrient transfer. The fact you have caulerpa growing, especially with pods, says the scrubbing is weak.

Scrape the growth and pods into your garden.

Unread 05/28/2018, 11:34 AM   #10002
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Over 10,000 posts in this thread! Dang, I totally wanted to be 10,000 and I missed my opportunity. I totally had it the other day too.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 03:49 PM   #10003
aiber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Over 10,000 posts in this thread! Dang, I totally wanted to be 10,000 and I missed my opportunity. I totally had it the other day too.
LOL. I want to thank you. You helped me so much.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gall. Cube Reef Tank
aiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 07:44 PM   #10004
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Woot woot I was lucky 10,000

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 10:47 AM   #10005
srusso
Registered Member

Bought my own house! Finally not a renter anymore! Still have my tank, cant wait to get back into the hobby!! Hello all my friends!! Looks like everyone has been super busy! 2 Millions views, woot!! 10K posts!

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2018, 07:11 PM   #10006
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by srusso View Post
Bought my own house! Finally not a renter anymore! Still have my tank, cant wait to get back into the hobby!! Hello all my friends!! Looks like everyone has been super busy! 2 Millions views, woot!! 10K posts!
Congratulations; and welcome to the world of the weekend renovator.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2018, 04:23 AM   #10007
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
Congratulations; and welcome to the world of the weekend renovator.
Thank you, too funny~! Neck deep in it, bathroom is already ripped out.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2018, 09:03 PM   #10008
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Fun growth pic, to celebrate 2 mil views with a blob

Attached Images
File Type: jpg UasAriWeiss-1.jpg (63.3 KB, 69 views)
Unread 06/17/2018, 09:42 PM   #10009
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Another fun growth pic, and no this is not painted or edited. The growth on the right side is about 2" deep.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg UasMartinCaceres-1.jpg (69.0 KB, 87 views)
Unread 06/26/2018, 09:18 PM   #10010
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by srusso View Post
'sup Steven!!

Unread 07/06/2018, 03:20 PM   #10011
biecacka
Registered Member

I try to clean my scrubber on the 15th and 1st. Ran a few days behind but here is the work is putting in!

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2018, 08:25 PM   #10012
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
I try to clean my scrubber on the 15th and 1st. Ran a few days behind but here is the work is putting in!

Corey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent, nice & green & thick

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 12:48 PM   #10013
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Fun growth pic, small batch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TJwyand-2.jpg (43.1 KB, 45 views)
Unread 07/27/2018, 06:46 PM   #10014
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Oh man. Tangs would love that!!

Current Tank Info: ~30 lbs of LR w/ 15 lbs of substrate. An azure damsel, six-lined wrasse, and black blenny. Zoanthids and shrooms.
vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2018, 01:28 PM   #10015
hkgar
Registered Member

HI all

Sorry to do this and not search, but I have had to replace ny ATS screen. After many years of surface it just began falling apart.

The screen is 9x9.5 inches and flow about 330 gph. The lights are deep red LEDs 21 each side and 3 watts each.

How many hours of light is recommended to get a new screen off to a good start. I am think 18 hrs?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2018, 06:37 PM   #10016
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Fun growth pic.. some type of cheato formed on my screen.. looks like cheato.. but super thin...got about 5 lbs of it off the screen the other day!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2018, 09:26 PM   #10017
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
looks like cheato.. but super thin
Cladophora ("angel hair")

Quote:
How many hours of light is recommended to get a new screen off
More important is the strength. If you have highly-reflective white surfaces, you want very reduced strength until the screen fills in.

Unread 07/29/2018, 06:54 AM   #10018
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I need a little help getting my scrubber going. It's a SM Drop 1.4x. I got it last Christmas, but it's just never taken off. It get's a thin film of a slimy jelly-like algae, but never anything that looks green. Right now the light is on from 6am to 9pm. It is on a 75g tank that I feed with 1 -2 cubes a day of frozen food. The tank has a very heavy bubble algae infestation and some hair algae. Not sure why this tank has given me so much trouble.

I used a pretty weak air pump when I set up the scrubber because noise is a big concern (with the wife). I'm looking to try the Fusion 700 pump but I'm wondering if people think it will solve my problem or if they can recommend a quieter pump. Thank guys.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2018, 02:26 PM   #10019
SantaMonica
Registered Member

With all the nuisance algae, the nutrients in the water will be low. So you'll need the low power (2 LEDs) to start, and, with the black shade screen in place.

Once the white surfaces are covered with brown or green, then the reflection of the light will be less, and you can remove the black screen. Then after growth gets thicker, you can plug in the high power.

Unread 07/30/2018, 08:13 PM   #10020
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
HI all

Sorry to do this and not search, but I have had to replace ny ATS screen. After many years of surface it just began falling apart.

The screen is 9x9.5 inches and flow about 330 gph. The lights are deep red LEDs 21 each side and 3 watts each.

How many hours of light is recommended to get a new screen off to a good start. I am think 18 hrs?
With that many LEDs and a fresh screen, I would recommend that you start off with half-power for 9 hrs/day. I'm assuming that you have your LEDs about 2" or so from the screen, but with 21 per side, that's a pretty decent sized array. If you don't have the ability to dim them, use a diffuser. If you don't have that ability, then I would cycle them on/off throughout the day; something like 1 hr on, 1 hr off, for a sum total of 9 hrs/day photoperiod.

As you start to get growth kicking in, you can add hours. The rate at which you do so is largely dependent on how much growth you get and how well it attaches. For your first few harvests, keep it minimal. You won't be scraping the screen for months, just rub/rinse and maybe pick away at growth to thin it out, but you want to leave a lot behind each time.

If you get slime, which is typical for a new screen over the first few weeks, just rinse that off after swiping with the palm of your hand. You can do this several times a week if needed, the slime tends to inhibit GHA attachment early on so that's good to keep an eye on.

Also you might consider adding a mortar coating like this

https://youtu.be/gxlWkBf_oUA

Unread 07/31/2018, 11:40 AM   #10021
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
With that many LEDs and a fresh screen, I would recommend that you start off with half-power for 9 hrs/day. I'm assuming that you have your LEDs about 2" or so from the screen, but with 21 per side, that's a pretty decent sized array. If you don't have the ability to dim them, use a diffuser. If you don't have that ability, then I would cycle them on/off throughout the day; something like 1 hr on, 1 hr off, for a sum total of 9 hrs/day photoperiod.

As you start to get growth kicking in, you can add hours. The rate at which you do so is largely dependent on how much growth you get and how well it attaches. For your first few harvests, keep it minimal. You won't be scraping the screen for months, just rub/rinse and maybe pick away at growth to thin it out, but you want to leave a lot behind each time.

If you get slime, which is typical for a new screen over the first few weeks, just rinse that off after swiping with the palm of your hand. You can do this several times a week if needed, the slime tends to inhibit GHA attachment early on so that's good to keep an eye on.

Also you might consider adding a mortar coating like this

https://youtu.be/gxlWkBf_oUA

Thank you

I am using 3 pairs 7 LED strips from Steves LED's and using a basic driver (1 for each pair of strips) and cannot control the intensity. What would you suggest as a diffuser? I have changed the cycle to 60 on and 100 off.
I will check Steve's for a controllable driver.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels

Last edited by hkgar; 07/31/2018 at 12:09 PM.
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2018, 07:44 PM   #10022
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
With all the nuisance algae, the nutrients in the water will be low. So you'll need the low power (2 LEDs) to start, and, with the black shade screen in place.

Once the white surfaces are covered with brown or green, then the reflection of the light will be less, and you can remove the black screen. Then after growth gets thicker, you can plug in the high power.
Thanks Santa Monica. I try that for sure. But so you don't think it's time to up the air pump quite yet?

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 05:11 AM   #10023
MuscleFish
Registered Member

It is good idea to use a wooden airstone (micro bubbles), or better to use a normal airstone with bigger bubbles?

Thanks

MuscleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 05:57 AM   #10024
homer1475
Registered Member

I don't use an upflow scrubber but have read quite a bit about them. I would think larger bubbles would be better. Most designs for an up flow just punch holes in regular airline tubing to feed the scrubber.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2018, 07:36 AM   #10025
MuscleFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I don't use an upflow scrubber but have read quite a bit about them. I would think larger bubbles would be better. Most designs for an up flow just punch holes in regular airline tubing to feed the scrubber.
I did that and all air out from the first hole

MuscleFish is offline   Reply With Quote