Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2008, 08:28 PM   #1
FishyMel
Registered Member

Hawaiian Male Boxfish Experience

My LFS has a large hawaiian male blue boxfish, he is really pretty and I'd like him for a pet in my FOWLR but I'm not sure how they fare in captivity. He is eating in the store and looks really good with no ich but on the web it says they are "expert only" I have had a small longhorn cow before so I'm not new to the boxfish game. What is their difficulty in comparison. What about a pair of these guys like ordering a female for him? Do they appreciate that and swim together? I'm leaving for Florida for a month next week so it would be awfully irresponsible to buy the fish now but considering his size I think he might be around still at the beginning of July. Ill post pics of this guy later he is about 6 inches(full size).

FishyMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2008, 10:26 PM   #2
philter4
Registered Member

The biggest problem with them is collection and shipping stress, most never adjust to captivity and eventually waste away. If the one at the LFS is eating and you are sure of the collection, location I say go for it, they are beautiful fish.

Current Tank Info: 1 fish and 1 reef new 24 gal current nano
philter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 10:34 AM   #3
buzzbombtom
Registered Member

they are listed as expert due to how they die, leaving high amounts of toxins in they system, but i am sure you know this as you have one in your system. and yes a lot of the time they dont eat well or the tank is not big enough for them.what is the lfs feeding him btw?

buzzbombtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 04:46 PM   #4
FishboyBT
Registered Member

food competition may be a problem if you have agressive feeders

Current Tank Info: Seahorse Tank and mixed reef..
FishboyBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 06:51 PM   #5
FishyMel
Registered Member

Anyone ever had EXPERIENCE with them? How are pairs together do they like being in pairs and swim together like trigger pairs?

FishyMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 08:37 PM   #6
zemuron114
Moved On

i catch them in really shallow water so collection isn't the main problem with them (unless they are caught deeper)

I sent a 2" male and a 1" female to a friend of mine who had them together and he said the male would chase the female a lot at first but soon simmered down. Feed lots of algae based foods (nori, or various macroalgae if you can get it - OGO the hawaiian algae is really good for them)

They seem to do well IME. If it is eating a lot i would say you will have a higher success rate.

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote