Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2012, 02:07 PM   #26
revaltion131
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
A 1262 is also a TON of pump for that size tank.

Take a look at the Tunze silence return pump or the maxi jet utility pumps. Theyre also good
I had the same pump on a 65 gallon, drilled and now I'm using it on my 125 currently (I know I need more flow). I had a noise problem, but it kept vibrating itself on the glass or into a corner, so the hum wasn't the problem, it was the pump hitting up against the glass. When I did some work on my refugium (home made and not well-done) and went to refill it, I screwed up and blew one of the baffles between the refugium area and the pump. A small layer of sand ended up under the pump. This was exactly what it needed to stop that racket. Aside from the powerheads, it's the quietest piece of equipment I have.

revaltion131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2012, 12:16 AM   #27
faisal629
Coolest Member

heard tunze silence are really quiet pumps, going to get one soon for my 60 cube

60G DT (google Faisal's 60 cube)
40B FT (google Faisal's 40B frag tank)
faisal629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2012, 08:59 AM   #28
reeflo/sequence
Registered Member

To JRPARK2200...we had over 40 evaluators testing the Blowholes on their tanks for over a year-we learned alot and corrected some errors-they HAVE been proven to work on SW systems

reeflo/sequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Landsailor
Registered Member

I was about to ask why JRPARK2200 thought Blowholes were unproven since they were beta tested (and improved upon) and what specifically still needs to be done to them.

I am amazed at how silent the 1450 is.

Landsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2012, 10:59 AM   #30
kc350twin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal629 View Post
heard tunze silence are really quiet pumps, going to get one soon for my 60 cube

I can confirm that Tunze silence pumps are SUPER quiet. I have my tank 3 feet from my bed.

Unread 06/15/2012, 01:48 PM   #31
jrpark22000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeflo/sequence View Post
To JRPARK2200...we had over 40 evaluators testing the Blowholes on their tanks for over a year-we learned alot and corrected some errors-they HAVE been proven to work on SW systems
Respectfully, I disagree. For example, the reeflo Dart has field time and user base to have earned a broad long term record, it is proven. Blowholes have not been in the market long enough to reach this status.

I agree they are silent. Dead silent, lay your hand on them to feel they are on silent, and they have great head pressure. I’m curious about the seal keeping the water out of the impeller and magnet. Time is needed to see how it wears. It will fail, every pump seal fails. Other than the pump getting abnormally hot or seizing how does an owner know when the pump seal is failing?

jrpark22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2012, 02:06 PM   #32
reeflo/sequence
Registered Member

thanks for the kind words about our Dart..one problem..the Blowhole is a magnetically driven pump=no seals..as far as longevity, whoile its true that time will tell
1- we back our pumps with a replacment guarantee
2- the components are of much higher quality than many of the others

Unread 06/15/2012, 02:50 PM   #33
jrpark22000
Registered Member

Maybe I don't understand the construction of the removable stainless impeller unit at the heart of the blowhole. In this unit, how does the cavity which contains the impeller shaft and magnet seal itself from filling the water? Isn’t there a seal behind the plastic impeller? (This seal , if applicable, is the failure point I mention in the above post.)

OP, sorry for the off topic detour.

jrpark22000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 03:51 PM   #34
ReefABCs
Registered Member

I would really like to see a return pump comparision on noise (real measurement in DB not just subjective and include solid plumping vs flex on a glass bottom sump in a cabinet), heat (how do DC vs AC pumps compare in heat?), flow, head pressure, power consumption, and realiability

Is this avail anywhere? If not it would be great to see an artical on it. Most comparisions are only pwr, flow and head preassure but they are missing other things that are important to us.

I have a mag 18 but I am also concerend it might be too loud for me once I set the tank up. I would be willing to pay an extra $100 for the right pump that surpassed all other in the above mentioned areas.

Last edited by ReefABCs; 11/18/2012 at 03:57 PM.
ReefABCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 05:04 PM   #35
joe3196
Registered Member

try the supreme mag drive sceries of pumps i use one and they are super quiet for there size.

joe3196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 05:16 PM   #36
RDuhb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3196 View Post
try the supreme mag drive sceries of pumps i use one and they are super quiet for there size.

My Mag 7 is kinda loud. The Quiet One 3000 I just bought is much better.

Unread 11/19/2012, 06:44 AM   #37
reeflo/sequence
Registered Member

Here is one non-subjective fact...our Dart/Snapper and our HH/Barracuda pumps use low speed (1725 rpm) motors..nearly all other pumps use high speed (3000 rpm+) motors..these high rev pumps are necessarily noisier (you can see the rpms on the motor label