Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2017, 06:07 PM   #101
benchen8844
Registered Member

[QUOTE=frankwx;25077902]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchen8844 View Post

what is no water? you mean to dry them out? or you want to say RO water?

Yes, dry them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benchen8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 06:40 PM   #102
fishguy597
Registered Member

I have had issues with these for some time. I am contemplating pulling all the rocks and nuking them. Ive tried epoxy.cutting them out, kalk. They are a PIA. Ive had multiple tangs for years including a PT. They never did anything. The melinarous wrassi had wouldnt touch them. The only way he do anything to them is when I used nail clippers to cut the shell off of the rock. Snails 1,000,000 me 0.....

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 09:56 AM   #103
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
I have had issues with these for some time. I am contemplating pulling all the rocks and nuking them. Ive tried epoxy.cutting them out, kalk. They are a PIA. Ive had multiple tangs for years including a PT. They never did anything. The melinarous wrassi had wouldnt touch them. The only way he do anything to them is when I used nail clippers to cut the shell off of the rock. Snails 1,000,000 me 0.....
I hear you man,
I hope we find something to crush this
Pests

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 09:01 PM   #104
fishguy597
Registered Member

So I decided to pull out some of the infested rocks and have them sitting in bleach now. After I change out the water I'll soak them in muratic acid for a few hours. Then neutralize them with baking soda. My tank is an established tank with sps. Im wondering what percentage of rock I can nuke without effecting my tank? I have probably 150-200 lbs of lr.

Unread 05/23/2017, 10:10 PM   #105
jalisco
Registered Member

What about setting up a QT tank for wrasses and tangs and try to train them to eat the snails. First cut open the tubes and remove the snail's meat to feed to the fish. Then introduce rocks with snails on it that have had their tubes cut open to expose their flesh. At some point you could cut back on supplemental feedings and see if they will break open intact tubes in search of the snails.

Does the boiling water/ tube syringe work like in the u tube video for aptasia?

jalisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 09:22 AM   #106
Vinno
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
So I decided to pull out some of the infested rocks and have them sitting in bleach now. After I change out the water I'll soak them in muratic acid for a few hours. Then neutralize them with baking soda. My tank is an established tank with sps. Im wondering what percentage of rock I can nuke without effecting my tank? I have probably 150-200 lbs of lr.
Then after you put the rocks back in, cant the ones that are still in the aquarium jump back the rocks again and repopulate?

Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 01:53 PM   #107
Isayso
Registered Member

They will Re populate. I did that move before, my tank is a old sps tank with corals growing everywhere, this is the reason That I don't want to dismantle it
,but I want to kill those pests without the disruption
Hopefully something, or somebody will find
A method to eradicate them for good

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 05/24/2017, 06:35 PM   #108
fishguy597
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalisco View Post
What about setting up a QT tank for wrasses and tangs and try to train them to eat the snails. First cut open the tubes and remove the snail's meat to feed to the fish. Then introduce rocks with snails on it that have had their tubes cut open to expose their flesh. At some point you could cut back on supplemental feedings and see if they will break open intact tubes in search of the snails.

Does the boiling water/ tube syringe work like in the u tube video for aptasia?
I tried doing something similar but inside the tank. I used nail trimmers that resemble mini bone cutters. The wrasse would follow me around cutting them up and eating them. The problem is I do not think he has the strength in his jaws to break them apart.

I do not think the boiling water would work. The shells go into a spiral and the snails retreat further back into it. Plus the larger. ones have longer shells. I could be wrong though.

Unread 05/24/2017, 06:56 PM   #109
fishguy597
Registered Member

Vinno and Isayso I agree with you. I just have so much LR that I have to do it in stages. The snails are a large reason for me nuking the rocks. Other reasons are I have shrooms along with green pocci that has spawned all over. Oh ya and meteor shower that is taking over too.

So after soaking in beach water over night and hosing down my rocks I was amazed at the junk that came off. Im letting them sit tonight in fw and Ill put them in the muratic acid friday.

I anticipate the corals having some issues but Im sure they will rebound. Fingers crossed.

Unread 05/25/2017, 12:11 AM   #110
jalisco
Registered Member

What a nightmare, I really feel for you guys.

jalisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 07:06 AM   #111
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalisco View Post
What a nightmare, I really feel for you guys.
Thanks jalisco,
@ fishguy.... make. Use the corals are free of the snails
That is another way that they can get back in the tank

Unread 05/30/2017, 12:20 PM   #112
Isayso
Registered Member

Ok I'm getting to a point that I do want the whole tank reset...
Yesterday, doing some work inside of the tank.i got hurt from one of these suckers
The shell is so sharp..
Anyway.. I was placing few frag that I got. From a fellow
And I do Dip them in the
"Bayer Complete "
Just wondering... corals don't die, I don't know about fish,
But I do know that this Bayer kills a wide spectrum of bugs,
I know that probably will wipe all the copepods and more,
But that is something I can reintroduce
And also I don't know if the rocks will absorb it...

Unread 05/30/2017, 04:53 PM   #113
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Pull something out & give it a shot.

Unread 05/30/2017, 06:05 PM   #114
Isayso
Registered Member

Doing some reading they will all the inverts
Snail included of course,
But afraid that rocks may absorb it

Unread 05/31/2017, 08:12 AM   #115
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Needs a test subject of a small piece & a container sitting idle for a month or so with a mini power head for circulation.
Then introduction of a snail or 2.

Unread 05/31/2017, 11:32 AM   #116
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Needs a test subject of a small piece & a container sitting idle for a month or so with a mini power head for circulation.
Then introduction of a snail or 2.
That is actually a good idea...need more info
On biological filter ,Fish .. and Pods..
In any case I can re introduce them after...
If fish,and biological filter are not
Affected...I think that we are close to
A total destruction of these pestes

Who knows maybe based on this idea
They will start selling something similar

So right now I can't. But next week I can get a little container a few
Vermetid snail and Bayer Complete
A power head and carbon bag to use after
The treatment...maybe a life fish to put in as Sacrifice body to see how will react with the Bayer

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:10 PM   #117
fishguy597
Registered Member

If your going to do that I'd just nuke the rocks. I've dipped some rocks with coral attached and they were fine . I also did 2 more dips in good salt water to make sure I did not get any Bayer into the tank. If your going to do a long term dip with Bayer I would imagine it's going to kill all the bacteria as well. Plus how long will the rocks leach the Bayer ?

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:46 PM   #118
Isayso
Registered Member

Did you dipped in Bayer,?
I'm sorry for the delay. I haven't done yet..
I have been busy with my wife..
She is going through. Chemotherapy for
Breast cancer...
Fish tank is the last thing that I want to
Spend time with..

Unread 06/08/2017, 07:58 PM   #119
salty joe
Registered Member

I don't know why live rock would absorb more Bayer than a coral skeleton, but there'd be a lot more surface area with rock, I guess that could be a problem..

I'm hoping for the best for your wife and you.

Unread 06/08/2017, 08:03 PM   #120
Isayso
Registered Member

I don't know why, maybe because if the porous body???
Thank you very much

Unread 06/11/2017, 07:54 PM   #121
fishguy597
Registered Member

When I have dipped rocks with colonies it's been for 10 minutes following 2 fresh sweet rinses in 2 different containers. I actually lost a melonarous wrasse the first time because he was picking the rock's afterwards. I remember a thread somewhere on here where a guy was doing Bayer dips once a week for sometime and got really sick. It took him and his doctors some time time to figure out what was happening. It is a poison and my belief is that soaking it for a long period of time a day, weeks,ext can't be good. I would think that it would be like any other body of water that has been polluted for a time and how long it takes to be cleaned up. This is just my guess.

I sayso I am sorry to hear about your wife as well. That has to be really rough. I wish nothing but the best for you and you wife.

Unread 06/12/2017, 06:14 AM   #122
Isayso
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words
We are keeping positive so far..
About the rocks...
That is my concern leaching for long time

Unread 06/12/2017, 11:56 AM   #123
SPotter
Registered Member

following along because I am at the end of my rope as well. have been thinking about adding a toby puffer as I read they will eat them but concerned about what else they will eat!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 01:51 PM   #124
Isayso
Registered Member

Hi Steve,
Melanurus wrasse didn't work for me..
He is a gorgeous fish. But it doesn't touch the pests, Toby puffer another great color fish I did try to starveso.he can pick those snails...but... he ate all the corals but the pests
Yellow wrasses. Not working...
At least all the above are not working in my tank...
This is the reason I'm leaning towards the Bayer

Unread 06/12/2017, 03:59 PM   #125
SPotter
Registered Member

What about an aptaisia laser???

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote