Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2018, 12:17 AM   #1
FrancineJ
Registered Member

New Coralife Biocube 32 Questions

First time poster... brand new to SW however I have 30+ years in brackish and FW tanks... in those cases I have or have had just about every and any fish there is lol everything from small- large fish, I have Axolotl’s, ACF’s, ACDF’s all sorts of things except full salt water... lol

I have i giant list of equipment that I won’t bore you with but I have everything I need (I think) lol
Just a couple questions about mods to this tank

1- the first thing I tried to do was swap out the stock pump for the MJ1200 (cobalt one).... having some issues... not sure if anyone with the Coralife 32 can share a picture of how they have theirs installed in their tank (would be grateful as I do better with pictures lol) but I have added the suction cup part and it doesn’t seem to want to fully stick... also the way I have it seems awfully cramped and all I put in was the suction cup part, the pump, and the little impeller protector... not sure but the hose seems a bit loose, I used the stock hose (1/2” ID) which is what everyone is saying is the right one... was planning on a zip tie? So again if someone could explain how theirs is in their 32g coralife... or better yet a picture I would appreciate it
This is basically hindering me from starting my tank cycling because I don’t want to fill it up and have it blow loose or not have it installed right...
This is just my first of a couple more questions but figured I’d tackle this one first
Any help would be appreciated!! (Especially a picture &#128513 lol

FrancineJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 06:31 AM   #2
JVan82
Registered Member

The intake screen on the pump is a tad long, and hits the built in lip in chamber 3, that holds the sponge between 2/3. I just push it down done, and done. Over time the intake screen will bend. Not the best pics since the heater, ATO, etc etc. I don't use zero clamps/zip-ties i have 1/2 ID hose mines just black to reduce algae growth in the tube.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by JVan82; 10/08/2018 at 06:37 AM.
JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 02:09 PM   #3
rockhead51
Registered Member

I'm running a sicce 1.5 and it looks identical. No need for suction cups; the pump just sits in the bottom.
BTW, I have heard that the black sponge is a nitrate factory. Three possible solutions:
1. Get another sponge. Swap weekly with water change. Rinse and let dry through (never tried this).
2. Cut original sponge in half, then follow instructions for #1. I did that for a while and it worked fine.
3. I wanted to run relatively fresh carbon all the time since I put a clam in my tank, so I removed the sponge and jammed a bag of carbon into that compartment. I use half a cup in a filter bag, and swap it weekly as well. Work like a champ.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 02:30 PM   #4
JVan82
Registered Member

I only used the sponge when i ran a fuge, and yes i had a couple swapped them out weekly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biocube32, coralife, mj1200, replacement pump