Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2016, 08:37 PM   #1
Walla2GSP
Registered Member

lowering dkH

I understand once I get corals in the tank again this won't be a problem, but my alkalinity is pretty high and I'm wondering if there is a natural way to lower it a little before I actually start buying corals?

pH: 8.0
dkH: 15
Calcium: 480ppm
Magnesium: 1520 ppm
Salinity 1.023

Walla2GSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2016, 09:01 PM   #2
chammergren
Registered Member

I would think to get it that high, you may have been dosing for it correct? I don't know of any salts mixes that have that high of alkalinity so just doing water changes should bring it down. That is the only natural way I know of.

Here is a thread that talks about using muriatic acid to lower it but it sounds like there are drawbacks.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1530419

chammergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2016, 10:45 PM   #3
Walla2GSP
Registered Member

No, I don't dose alkalinity. I use tapwater because my tapwater is relatively clean here, but it's hard so it "doses" the tank with trace elements every time I top off the tank. It wasn't an issue with corals because they would pull the elements out of the water, and I didn't have to dose trace elements as often. However, running the tank as a refugium for two years there was nothing to pull elements out of the water and the levels built with each water change.

Unread 10/26/2016, 05:52 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla2GSP View Post
No, I don't dose alkalinity. I use tapwater because my tapwater is relatively clean here, but it's hard so it "doses" the tank with trace elements every time I top off the tank. It wasn't an issue with corals because they would pull the elements out of the water, and I didn't have to dose trace elements as often. However, running the tank as a refugium for two years there was nothing to pull elements out of the water and the levels built with each water change.
You should test your tapwater with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) Meter to know for sure how "relatively clean" your water is. You may be fine with using it now but you WILL run into problems down the line if you continue using tapwater.

Interesting read on Alk & the relationship in the aquarium http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

If I understood the article and other research correctly, as you Mag slowly drops so will your Alk. This is what I've seen as my tank has matured from months 5-7. Still running just over 10 on Alk and 1300 Mag before a water change.

Unread 10/26/2016, 06:14 AM   #5
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

What test are you using for Alk? Is it out of expiry? Can you cross test yous Alk?

Tanthaitrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Walla2GSP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
You should test your tapwater with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) Meter to know for sure how "relatively clean" your water is. ...
I test my water TDS weekly because I use it for watering Orchids and Carnivorous plants that are sensitive to high levels of organic materials, and it floats between 45-60 ppm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanthaitrung View Post
What test are you using for Alk? Is it out of expiry? Can you cross test yous Alk?
I'm using an API test that is good till 2019, but I have also taken a couple samples to the LFS and they tested the sample and confirmed my readings.

Last edited by Walla2GSP; 10/26/2016 at 07:49 AM.
Unread 10/26/2016, 07:43 AM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

45 to 60 ppm TDS?

Thats seriously high TDS. Most people change out their cartridges when TDS reaches just a measly 2.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 07:48 AM   #8
Martin Kuhn
Registered Member

In case you really want to use tap water with such a high alkalinity as you have (...what i wouldn't do if i were you) -> thera are salt mixes with up to +0 dKH Alkalinity.
"Silbermann" in Austria e.g. sells such a product for exactly this purpose.

Unread 10/26/2016, 10:09 AM   #9
chammergren
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla2GSP View Post
I would do a couple of water changes using water purchased for your lfs, that should help bring them down since that water will have a much lower dkh. You can even go to the grocery store or target/Walmart and buy distilled water by the gallon to mix your salt with.

chammergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 11:25 AM   #10
nereefpat
Registered Member

What salt mix are you using? Reef crystals, for example, can have alk around 14 when mixed with RODI. Could be even higher with your starting TDS.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote