Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2016, 08:40 PM   #1
jriechel
Registered Member

CL deal, use the lighting?

I picked up an Oceanic 90 and stand, CPR overflow, dual 250W MH pendants (is a loud, buzzy ballast normal?), a handful of old 1200 maxi-jet powerheads and heaters for $100. I feel pretty good with that find.

This is my first SW tank (of course it is; I'm posting in this subforum). The plan is for a v. lion, snowflake, and a humu. I also thinking of having a colt coral, a few mushrooms, and maybe some zoas.

Now for the question: should I use just one pendant or both? I'm concerned about the correct amount of light and I don't' have a PAR meter. I'm not even sure of what color-temperature to use. I'm thinking 14K? Reading posts and ads, it sounds like all 14K's aren't the same.

Suggestions?

Thanks much.

Jeff

jriechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2016, 10:15 PM   #2
OldReefGuy
Registered Member

Thats a good deal.
Loud buzzy ballast isnt normal...so probably on its way out. Also all MH bulbs arent the same (and 14K is a nice color).I was always partial to Hamiltons...they had consistent color. I would replace the current bulbs just to make sure they havnt color shifted.
If all you are planning on keep are those softies, you might want to consider getting some cheap LEDs as the MH electric bill can be quite hefty

Just my two cents

OldReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2016, 10:17 PM   #3
OldReefGuy
Registered Member

and snowflake what? eel?

OldReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 06:28 PM   #4
jriechel
Registered Member

Yes, a snowflake eel. Is there a snowflake something else? I didn't know.

I guess I'll use the MH until it fails. Since I already have it, I'd rather use the money elsewhere for now. LED's would be nice. Probably go that way at some point.

Since I'll be using those MH's for now, how do I go about determining the correct amount? I'm wondering if I should use one, or both? What height? For a trial fit, I've suspended one about 12" above the water and tank centered. Seems a little dim to me. Of course, I don't know how old the bulbs are. I suppose I should replace them first. Even so, should I just try something and see how the corals and fish react when I get to that point?

Jeff

Unread 10/26/2016, 06:41 PM   #5
whosurcaddie
Registered Member

Whats loud and noisy? Something that's loud to one person may not be loud to another. I have had metal halide ballasts make a buzzing noise, you could hear it but it wasn't loud.

As for the lighting setup I would use both 250 watt pendants, and yes definitely change the bulbs. Is this your only form of lighting? Are you going to run T5's? If not I would look at some 14 or 20k bulbs, don't cheap out here.

whosurcaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2016, 07:12 PM   #6
jriechel
Registered Member

The big, finned aluminum box that the pendants plug into and has the switches. No, I wouldn't call it loud, I mean you can easily talk over it. I just was expecting something more along the lines of a fluorescent hum. If this were in my house, it would be unacceptable. As it's in my classroom, it's okay unless it's quite. Yeah, that only happens between periods.

This is my only lighting and I was planning on getting some Plusrite 14k bulbs, so yes, I'm cheaping out here.

Unread 10/27/2016, 07:18 AM   #7
whosurcaddie
Registered Member

I would look at some Ushio 14k bulbs. They are about $50 and are a great performer.

whosurcaddie is offline   Reply With Quote