Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2018, 11:55 PM   #1
Smite
Registered Member

Pairing a lone bangaii

Hopefully this is the best subsection for this question.

I have a CB bangaii cardinalfish. It came from a freind' s pairing and i believe is the lone survivor of the hatchlings so it has an added sentimental value to me.

Is there a safe way to pair this cardinalfish up with a mate? Id love to have two, don't mind QT'ing a group if that's needed as well to see of he/she pairs up. Id be able to spot the individual due to a damaged front dorsal from transport so if adding a group would make it safer until it pairs up I can go that route.

Thanks for any tips. And if there's no real safe way then he's good as is. Just looking for experienced input.

Happy reefing

Matt

Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 11:19 AM   #2
kizanne
Registered Member

Males are hard to tell from females as they get older the males have slightly more square jaws and some have slightly longer flag fins on the top. Once they are holding eggs it is really easy to tell. So trying to get a few from the LFS might be the best option just remember they don't really care who was in the tank first so they may have already paired at the store and leave your fish out. And once they hit breeding they tend to pair not school sometimes harrassing the odd man out to death or making it where it doesn't eat.

Do you know if you have a boy or a girl?

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 05:21 PM   #3
steamman
Registered Member

Males have two vents. Females have one. They have to have big fat fed bellies to see. I got lucky recently. Had a new pair. The female died for no apparent reason. I ordered two Bangaii from Live Aquaria. In a couple days one of the two paired up with the male. About a month and a half later he was carrying eggs. I had my first batch of babies a week and a half ago and they are doing great. Good luck.

Less is

Current Tank Info: 800 gal of salt water flowing in my basement
steamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 07:27 PM   #4
WVfishguy
Registered Member

My wife successfully picked a male and female out of a large group. The males looks more "bulldoggy" and stocky. My wife can't sex them unless the males and females are together. Working on the third or fourth spawning in our 90 display.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Planetmacro
Registered Member

I have 3 pairs out of ten WC Bangaii Cardinals. All have spawned but have eaten the eggs. I now have one pair holding for a week. I can see a ball of eggs in its mouth. Keeping my fingers crossed. When they pair they will fight so they need to be housed separately. I agree that the males have a more squared jaw.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote